Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Demented Sat Nav

Views : 3219

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2017, 14:21   #21
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacV50 View Post
I also have the issue with the weird road number but otherwise find the system pretty good.

I'm not keen on the voice and it's annoying it can't be changed. In my V50 I could switch between male and female voices but preferred the male one as it wasn't so stern!

Regarding being sent down narrow roads, can those affected make sure their system isn't set to avoid motorways etc as that will cause it to take weird routes
Not sure that 'good' is a term I would use in relation to the satnav provided in the current Volvo crop, functional (in that it can get you from A to B) but 'good' - no way. As an example to see the roads around in rural locations you need to be at 0.2ml which means you loose all location references and when you are at 0.5ml then you are driving along a sea of nothing as no roads are shown - plus often the green line of the route disappears to become a dotted line to the next point of reference it can work out.

There are dozens of examples where the capability is severely limited, often removed in the current version from previous satnav incarnations that Volvo have had.

Changing the preference of routing will sort out getting sent down small roads - you only get that when you have chosen Shortest Route
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 15:00   #22
andrewpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
My wife hates the sat nav voice as it keeps on interrupting her, I do try to point out that she talks to much but even I find it hard to get a word in edgeways with both of them banging on.
I'd love to be able to mute it, especally at roundabouts. When the news is on....
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 22:07   #23
demojockey

Default A1208 appreciation society

I reported this issue to where I bought my V60 from early 2016 having had the car only a few months.
Firstly they didn't comprehend my description of the issue and now after nearly 2 years I have provided them with audio recordings of the message advising of "On the A316 heading from Sunbury to Chiswick between the A1208 and A1208 average speed of 20 mph" as well as being on the A303 to Cornwall and the A58 towards Leeds and the M25 clockwise etc. etc. etc.
I have a follow up call with their Service Manager on Wed 1st Nov '17 to hear what Volvo have said to him.
Many thanks to those others who have had this problem reporting it on this forum. You have repeated what I told my Service Manager - if Volvo aren't made aware they will simply ignore it.
Regards
demojockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 14:57   #24
Xorro

We have a 65 plate V40 and this too is affected by the 'A1208' problem.

After listening to it carefully I think it is replacing the A of the road name with 'A1208', for example if it's telling me about a problem on the A5 it will say 'A12085'.

We've encountered this problem in various parts of the country, so it's not a specific A-road that's the problem.

I can't imagine how I'm going to explain this to our local dealer.
We've had the car since new and I've done a couple of map updates which hasn't fixed it.
Xorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 15:06   #25
NigelDay
Premier Member

You could try making a recording of the demented voice.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 15:54   #26
MacV50
Master Member

Given that this is a traffic information problem and plenty of us have it, I think it's more likely to be a problem in the data coming being sent over the radio rather than the car although I never had this issue with my V50 and it was also set to use Classic FM for traffic data

I wonder if the problem exists with other marques?
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 16:39   #27
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorro View Post
We have a 65 plate V40 and this too is affected by the 'A1208' problem.

After listening to it carefully I think it is replacing the A of the road name with 'A1208', for example if it's telling me about a problem on the A5 it will say 'A12085'.

We've encountered this problem in various parts of the country, so it's not a specific A-road that's the problem.

I can't imagine how I'm going to explain this to our local dealer.
We've had the car since new and I've done a couple of map updates which hasn't fixed it.
I have brought this up with Volvo many times over the years and it still hasn’t been addressed or resolved
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 13:18   #28
Dalek67

Has anyone solved the A1208 problem yet? Mine also comes out with gems like Joules instead of J (Junction) and Cubic Centimetres for CC (Cricket Club). It's really frustrating when nearly every traffic report mentions the A1208.

Also some of the place names get mispronounced (e.g. Sluff for Slough)
Dalek67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 22:06   #29
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Mine pronounces Oxford as Orcsford in a west country accent.

Not had the A1208 mentioned but googling where it is around Shoreditch its not actually lying just why would you need to know whilst travelling to Cornwall.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 09:12   #30
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
Mine pronounces Oxford as Orcsford in a west country accent...
Ha ha, I noticed mine doing exactly this yesterday whilst heading home out of Newbury, although I thought it was saying 'Aucksford'!

I actually had no idea it was saying 'Oxford' until I looked at the display...
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote