Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to get to the turbo boost sensor live in the S80 D3?

Views : 703

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2017, 08:53   #1
seanc

Default How to get to the turbo boost sensor live in the S80 D3?

Hi,

I'm trying to get at my turbo boost sensor that lives in the side of the intercooler to change it, but I can't find it! I'd have thought it would be somewhere near the bottom of the car?

In this thread for the V60 D3, it's apparently accessible through the passenger headlamp area, but I guess the S80 is built differently or I'm being thick.

Any help is appreciated or I might just have to take it to my local garage.

Sean.
seanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 14:27   #2
tt82
Forum Support Team

On my V70 D5, it is on the N/S on the intercooler, in between the cage for the radiators and the plastic shielding. Apparently it can be done by just removing the sump cover but I removed the front bumper of my car in order to do it.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 17:52   #3
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Hi Sean, on my V70 D3 (MY2011) it's on the intercooler pipe where it joins the intercooler on the passenger side (right side as you look under the bonnet standing in front of the car).

If you need a photo send me a DM with your email and I'll send one.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 18:12   #4
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyweaves View Post
Hi Sean, on my V70 D3 (MY2011) it's on the intercooler pipe where it joins the intercooler on the passenger side (right side as you look under the bonnet standing in front of the car).

If you need a photo send me a DM with your email and I'll send one.
That would be really useful! Tried to PM you, but not allowed as I don't have 30 posts yet.
I'll have a look for it again tomorrow, if you can get a picture up somewhere, it would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 18:41   #5
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
That would be really useful! Tried to PM you, but not allowed as I don't have 30 posts yet.
I'll have a look for it again tomorrow, if you can get a picture up somewhere, it would be helpful.

Thanks.
Will send you a DM with my email, send email to me and I'll send pics back
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyweaves For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 14:38   #6
seanc

Thank you very much to Tom for the pictures, I'd have never worked it out otherwise.

Here's Tom's car and sensor

Here's what I see on my S80 from the same position

You can see the same rubber pipe on the right hand side and the fan cowling on the left, but there's a another pipe and a big silver block in the way! I can only assume it's part of the aircon?

I managed to remove the rubber pipe and get access between that silver block and the headlamp fittings - it's very tight, you need slim arms!

Unplugged the connector, guided the extension bars down and unscrewed the screw, gently finished and retrieved it by hand. Wiggled the sensor out of place. The next part was working blind as my arm obscured my view of where the sensor needed to go. Much trial and error to find the hole which involved resting the sensor on something and getting my arm out the way to have a look

Managed to get it in and stuck the screw onto the end of my extension bars, screwed it in. Plugged it all back in and restored headlamp to its rightful place.

Here's a pic of my access, with the new sensor installed

So far, so good, need to go out again for a longer drive to test and I'll report back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedBoost sensor 2_LI[385].jpg (37.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.jpg (87.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.jpg (50.9 KB, 47 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to seanc For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 15:10   #7
tt82
Forum Support Team

The big silver thing is the heat exchange for the automatic gearbox fluid. It uses engine coolant to warm it up when it is cold, and cool it down when it gets hot. As I said, it's a nightmare to get to!

I jumped the gun when my sensor went and suspected it was a turbo hose. I ordered DO88 replacements before getting it home and reading the car with VIDA, only to find it was the sensor. So I decided to take the car off the road for a few days and do some work on it. Fitting the new DO88 hoses and also taking the opportunity to clean out the EGR valve. I'll attach pictures of what my car looked like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Picture.jpg (101.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg New Picture (1).jpg (96.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg New Picture (2).jpg (101.5 KB, 23 views)

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 17:28   #8
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
The big silver thing is the heat exchange for the automatic gearbox fluid. It uses engine coolant to warm it up when it is cold, and cool it down when it gets hot. As I said, it's a nightmare to get to!

I jumped the gun when my sensor went and suspected it was a turbo hose. I ordered DO88 replacements before getting it home and reading the car with VIDA, only to find it was the sensor. So I decided to take the car off the road for a few days and do some work on it. Fitting the new DO88 hoses and also taking the opportunity to clean out the EGR valve. I'll attach pictures of what my car looked like.
Thanks for that.
My turbo hose did actually split back in May and threw a code/limp mode. I first noticed the hesitation on the drive with Volvo recovery during that episode, unfortunately it stuck after the hose was replaced.

Lately it just seemed to be doing it more and more, not throwing any codes though.

It seems much better now, I'm hoping it is actually fixed... it was having 'good days' with the old sensor and the fault being intermittent is why I think it's wasn't throwing a code.
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 17:34   #9
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Thanks for that.
My turbo hose did actually split back in May and threw a code/limp mode. I first noticed the hesitation on the drive with Volvo recovery during that episode, unfortunately it stuck after the hose was replaced.

Lately it just seemed to be doing it more and more, not throwing any codes though.

It seems much better now, I'm hoping it is actually fixed... it was having 'good days' with the old sensor and the fault being intermittent is why I think it's wasn't throwing a code.
Fingers crossed that you're sorted. My sensor didn't throw up any codes either but when the Volvo dealer hooked it up to the computer the sensor was putting values 10 times what was expected.

On codes: a one off fault will show as a "pending code" and if it happens again then it becomes a "full code". Your was intermittent like mine without any code so I assume the sensor or ECU doesn't know it's not working correctly.