Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

striker plate for early skinny vent window latches?

Views : 3598

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 19:08   #1
srs4164

Default striker plate for early skinny vent window latches?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-164-Pa...BVz3gD&vxp=mtr

There were 2 versions of the vent window latches (yes, the ones that were glued on and always fall off). The 1st version is skinnier / smaller. I believe they were used until '69 or '70. The 2nd / larger version one closes on to the frame that sits between this vent window and the glass that lowers into the door. The 1st version also closes onto this frame, but I THINK there's an additional striker plate that goes on the frame so that this latch will close the vent window tightly / securely. I believe this item appears in the pic the above url show bring you to. Its just above where this part of the frame comes out of the door.

I suspect that if you try to use these 1st version latches on a car that originally used the 2nd version ones so that the window frame doesn't have these striker plates, they won't do a good job of holding the vent window closed.

Can anyone let me know if I have this correct?
srs4164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 19:20   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

From the advert you lead me to I can't be sure which vent catches you mean, although I do understand your words. I have a very early (1968) car on the road plus my '72 164E so when next light (tomorrow) will look at both and report on findings.
Neither for dismantling though! I have some spare doors though so when I can understand your need will check and get back to you (at rent payment time). I wish there are 164-dismantlers this side of the water; the last I heard of was a couple of years ago, and many miles away.

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 22:19   #3
srs4164

I thought the url would take you to the exact picture I wanted people to see, but it doesn't. The 4th pic in the ad shows an open front passenger side door. I believe the item I'm wondering about appears in it. I know none of my '71 164s had that part and neither does my current '72 164E.

This may help - http://global.gcp.se/global/catalogues/nav47344?type=sc

If you go to the drawing on page 35, it shows an item #87. I THINK this is the striker plate that I'm wondering about. It is part #676446. I think this is only needed when the latch handle shown in the page 35 drawing as #75 is used. When the handle is #68, item #87 does not get used.

Since you have a '68 and a '72, you are probably in the best possible position to be able to help me figure this out. Assuming, of course, that each car still has the original latches with it (which would probably be quite miraculous)!

I'm only wondering about this because I have a set of vent windows that the latches have fallen off of. I only have a set of the 1st version / skinny / #68 latches. I'd like to put these together so I can sell them as complete/ready to use with latches already attached. But I don't want to do this IF they can't be used on cars that don't have this striker plate IF the striker plate is ESSENTIAL. If that's the case, I'd want to be able to also offer these striker plates for anyone who didn't originally have them. Otherwise, I'd only be able to sell them to someone who's car used these 1st version latches.

So I'm guessing you '68 will have this striker plate while you '72 doesn't. Let me know what you find and thanks again!
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 12:49   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

The striker plate part #676446 is common to the later 140 series. It's in a 1972 parts book. I would guess therefore that the earlier 140 catches are the same as the 164 ones. i.e. year for year, the 140 and 164 ones are the same. Not much help but it does mean that you can look at the 140 models for spare door bits.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 14:48   #5
Triple-S
How Old?

There is some good news and some bad. Between showers here I had a look at my in-use 164s and notice the quarter-light windows on my '68 car have proper mechanical-type latches similar to those on our Morris Minors; probably the previous owner replaced them. On my '72 164E the catches fell off ages ago (as they all do) but as I'm always leaving my keys in the car I have never replaced the latches - I open it from outside and pull the door-open knob up to gain access (don't spread it around .....).
I have a few spare doors in my sheds, also a 1971 Volvo 145 here, and that car has the striker you refer to, and one unknown age door does too. However, I'm going to my main store on Friday where I have other doors so will do a comparison when there. However, that striker looks so relatively thin I doubt Mr Volvo altered the position of the stuck-on latch by a few thou - I would guess it merely means the window is made more weatherproof by gripping the rubber framing more tightly.
Will advise when more known

P
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 15:35   #6
srs4164

Good morning gents and thanks for the replies. Derek, I was hoping you'd step in.

Let me explain something, just so everyone understands what I really want to know + why, so that this doesn't come across as some sort of theoretical / pointless question about the 2 different version latches and the striker plate.

I have a set of these vent windows from the JY. Of course, they were missing the latches, since, as we all know, they always fall off. Since then, I found a set of latches. But they're the 1st version / skinny ones. By now, I'm pretty sure the striker plate was used on cars that came with this 1st version latch. I know for certain that none of the '71 + '72s that I've had, all of which used the 2nd version / larger latch, had this striker plate. But I've never had an earlier 140 or 164, so I have no experience with this smaller latch. Heck, I didn't know it even existed until I found these a few months ago!

Now to my quandary - my intention was to glue these latches onto the vent windows, as well as the, what I'd refer to as, top pivot posts, and have a set of vent windows to sell that someone could just pop in their car and have stock latches. I gotta tell ya, this is the FIRST thing I did when I got my current '72 164E last year and it was like living a dream! It'd had been 25 years since I had owned a 164 and all 3 had this dreaded latch problem and back then I never would have believed there'd be a glue I could use to fix them. But my latches and pivot posts are still going strong over a year and a half later, so I now feel confident enough about the longevity of the repair to consider "spreading the love".

HOWEVER, I really don't want to glue these 1st version latches on if they doesn't close the vent window securely on a later car without the 676446 striker plate. I guess I was hoping to find someone who could tell me whether or not this is the case, but I'm starting to think no such person exists. Its very possible no one has ever had to try it before.

I'm starting to think the best thing is to try to find striker plates so I can offer them along with the vent windows in case someone doesn't have them. Doubt that'll be real easy though, and I have no idea what it takes to remove or install these on the window frame. I'm guessing / hoping it just slides onto this frame after you've removed it from the door. It'd be great, Pete, if you could check this for me, depending on what you find in your storage. And if you end up with a pair in your hands that you'd like to sell, do let me know. Same goes for 2nd version latches if you come across any.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Obviously, any additional feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 19:45   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

I'll let Paul carry on with this but let us know what this glue is that you've found successful. It's a bit of a holy grail for this job. Recently I've seen mention of the glue that fixes studs to oven front glass and way back all glass aquarium glue was mooted as being good. The obviously very good original glue eventually gives way due to being attacked by UV light from the outside along with the obvious strain. Easy fix is to use these......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/76994-Dorman...BV06n0&vxp=mtr
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 21:24   #8
Triple-S
How Old?

Derek - presume those are what The Morris Minor Centre used to sell as quarter light clamp replacements. Ages ago I bough a set, but car now sold so can't compare.
Then I heard the MM Centre no longer listed them - do you know if those you refer to are sold elsewhere this side of the water?

P
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 23:14   #9
srs4164

Derek,

The holy grail glue is Loctite 349 and can be seen here - http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Impruv...ds=loctite+349

Got a set of the ones in your link for my current 164E and used them until finding this glue. They definitely work, but they certainly didn't seem as elegant as getting the originals back in place. Plus, aren't they prone to falling off, which, if it occurs at an inopportune time will mean that its essentially lost?
The Following User Says Thank You to srs4164 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2015, 04:55   #10
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

hello Triple s

http://www.skandix.de/en/search/?q=1017542

you're wellcome
regards, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post: