Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

262c

Views : 1942

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2017, 22:07   #11
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUGIE68 View Post
well ive done the deal. The car is solid, no pillar or scuttle rust. Unused since around 2004 . The interior does need tidying but everything works. The exterior would benefit from a respray but certainly does not need any welding. new vinyl roof fitted in the 90s and the top end of the engine was done as well. there are loads of spares. The best bit is on the V5 in the column previous owners is the magic word. "None". owner is almost 90 and despite pressure from family to sell the car 20 years ago just couldnt. reg is MLF 617V. The owners local dealer in London have expressed an interest in buying the car as there are few good rhd examples left.
If your not selling the car on it would be great to see some pictures

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 22:03   #12
D19VDM
VOC Member

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the 262. Your local to me as well so hopefully see it around. Here's a picture of mine. Not had it long and needs work but went through its mot today no problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1467.jpg (398.0 KB, 41 views)
D19VDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D19VDM For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 22:39   #13
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D19VDM View Post
Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the 262. Your local to me as well so hopefully see it around. Here's a picture of mine. Not had it long and needs work but went through its mot today no problem
Car looks good David. Hopefully see it soon. Did a couple of good deals with your friend James. A cool dude!
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 23:04   #14
D19VDM
VOC Member

Not looking forward to removing the vinyl roof from the 262. Gold cars didn't get the vinyl. Google Volvo 262 and you'll see a picture of it when it was T-5R yellow.
Hopefully be able to get the 262's together at a meet later in the year. Unusual to see one never mind two.
I heard all about your deals Bob. I had hoped to catch up with you when you were there. Seen the Amazon at Ladybank last week. Looking good.
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 10:53   #15
DOUGIE68

Looking better than when i last saw it.Mine has had a new roof, Came with lots of spares but not the bits i need. This will be the first resto ive done where the welder will remail cold.I need one crown badge and an indicator trim piece. Who`s the guy with all the Volvo`s in the field on the Airdrie Rd?

Last edited by DOUGIE68; Aug 27th, 2017 at 10:55.
DOUGIE68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 17:01   #16
D19VDM
VOC Member

I'm missing both crowns and I think they're going to be a nightmare to find. Airdrie road? Heading from Slamanan? That'd be Jim if it's where I'm thinking about. Couple of 240's and a few PRV engines but all 2.8. I have spare trim from my 244 anniversary. If I can find it the indicator trim pieces are there. I left all the chrome trim off the front
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 22:18   #17
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D19VDM View Post
Not looking forward to removing the vinyl roof from the 262. Gold cars didn't get the vinyl. Google Volvo 262 and you'll see a picture of it when it was T-5R yellow.
Hopefully be able to get the 262's together at a meet later in the year. Unusual to see one never mind two.
I heard all about your deals Bob. I had hoped to catch up with you when you were there. Seen the Amazon at Ladybank last week. Looking good.
Sorry I missed you David. Getting the C70 in couple of weeks.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 22:18   #18
DOUGIE68

The scrappy in Ireland that's breaking one has two crowns.. at least someone who works there does as they were taken off the car when it was in their holding pound.
Ill come clean now and say I bought the car in Cyprus that was on Ebay. Just back from 3 days in Limassol with the owners family. I have never seen an owner so attached to a car but he is over 85 and not in the best of health so he agreed to sell it as no family member had anywhere or the skills to deal with its issues. His sons have grown up with the car and it is older than one of them. The sale was a major emotional moment for them and I thought they were going to cancel it at some points. There were some great stories of times spent and journeys done with it. but I cant let sentimentality get in the way, its mine now, its me that will be sorting the years of slow degradation. I thought I paid strong money but given its a one owner car with a UK reg, I don't have to spend weeks welding ( it has never been or needs any welding), fortunes on parts other than a couple of trims which are 260 parts ( bitter experience tells me that wont really be the case). Engine is sweet, gearbox has a horrendous oil leak, Paintwork gone West though. Seats need some attention to stitching but the rest is grubby but good. Owner had cruise control fitted. Overall it is just a bit tired but nothing to be frightened of.
Shipping from Cyprus is less than £600 and it leaves there on 8th Sep due in S/Hampton 30th. That is the jittery part as right now its under a cover in a car park in Limassol awaiting transfer into the port next week. It minus the remaining crown,badges and brand new set of wheel centres which are all on my sideboard. I'm sure you can call up the listing on ebay if you wish to see pics

Last edited by DOUGIE68; Aug 27th, 2017 at 22:41.
The Following User Says Thank You to DOUGIE68 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 22:41   #19
D19VDM
VOC Member

I had a look at that car when it was listed. It looked pretty good in the pictures. That's not a bad price for shipping. I thought it'd be more than that. Can you drive it from Southampton?
I've managed to get hold of 4, nos genuine Volvo/Bertone badges with the blue B but no luck on the crowns yet. There were two crowns for sale in Sweden a couple of weeks ago but couldn't get a message to the seller without registering on the Swedish site. Gone now tho. I had called the breaker in Ireland as well but he said the badges were all stolen. I'm needing the off side rear quarter trim moulding for mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1480.jpg (154.4 KB, 11 views)
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 09:44   #20
DOUGIE68

Ill buy the two remaining B badges if your selling. I`m going to take my Crown to a customer who is a jeweller to see about making a pattern to cast up a few badges. it probably easier than hunting down an original. when you think about it 6600 x 2 x spares there must have been at least 14000 made.
I would love to drive it up the road but it aint gonna happen. It has a knackered front gearbox seal and going by the oil on the underside it has been like that a while. Also i would have to mess about sorting an mot. etc.