Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering clunk...

Views : 1583

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 13:52   #1
Faust
Master Member

Default Steering clunk...

I’ve got an annoying clunk coming from my steering system.

I’ve replaced both track rod ends in the last couple of weeks, all the tie rods are about a year old and the steering coupling (collapsible type) is in good order. There appears to be no play in the idler arm (bush was replaced 5 years ago).

I got my missus to turn the wheel whilst I checked for any obvious causes: the ‘clunk’ appears to be coming from the steering box. With my hand placed on it, I can feel vibration on the outside of the casing. It seems to be most prominent with the steering wheel turned 80% to the right.

It’s full of the correct oil and there appears to be aprox 4 turns of adjustment on the top screw.

Will I need a new or replacement box of is there a way around this?

I note that Brookhouse sell re-bushing kits. Is this likely to help? Easy job? (never messed about with a steering box before and I don’t want to screw it up!)

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated as always.

Car is a 1970 133 if this makes any difference.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 17:12   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

The amount of apparent play in the box increases rapidly as you get toward full lock. This is normal for this sort of box. Jack up under the front cross member and see how the play increases as you add lock. Yes they do wear after a lot of miles and the free play at the centre point of the steering will increase a bit compared to new, even when correctly adjusted. If it feels right and drives right, no worries. The only time you'll be on full or close to full is when manoeuvring at slow speeds so not a problem. Doubt if you're drifting or rallying, so driving fast with lots of lock on won't happen very often.
Bush kit can be fitted but the bushes need to be reamed to match the shaft. Not normally considered a home DIY job. If the bottom bush is badly worn it will usually mean that the life of the bottom oil seal is shortened and the box will leak. When this happens and the box isn't topped up quickly, the worm and gear will wear. Oil leakage is common and unfortunately has meant the death of a lot of boxes. Bottom line, if it leaks fit a new seal.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 17:41   #3
Faust
Master Member

Thanks for the reply Derek.

It's not the play at lock that concerns me, rather the 'clunk' or 'notchy' feel I occasionally get.

Example: driving along in a straight line, turn right at a junction 'clunk', straighten the wheel back up, 'clunk'.

Thing is, I don't get this clunk every time...

There is no sign of any oil leaks... thankfully!
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 18:54   #4
arcturus
arcturus

for what it's worth I used to have a similar symptom on my 940. It turned out that the roll bar was making contact with part of the suspension. with the car on it's wheels, perhaps jacked up a little to make steering easier have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth whilst you look underneath. Different car and different steering and suspension I know, but worth a try.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 21:13   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Hmm, I'd certainly get under the car and check that ALL of the bolts involved in the steering and suspension were tight. Also check the lower outer suspension ball joints. They can be tricky to check and even the MOT man might miss them. If he has a lift with "shuffle" tables for under the front wheels that usually shows up any problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 21:35   #6
Faust
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Hmm, I'd certainly get under the car and check that ALL of the bolts involved in the steering and suspension were tight. Also check the lower outer suspension ball joints. They can be tricky to check and even the MOT man might miss them. If he has a lift with "shuffle" tables for under the front wheels that usually shows up any problems.
Thanks again...

Should've mentioned that all ball joints, bushes, arms, springs and dampers are less than 2 years old... the noise has only recently started.

I'll give everything a damn good check & tighten as suggested though.

@ Acrturus: thanks for the suggestion - I'll also check this out (can't hurt after all!)

I'm thinking that it might be easier to pass the ball onto a local garage: always easier to diagnose using a 4 post lift... I really don't like being beaten though.

I'll have a look-see this weekend and update this thread with any results.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 23:43   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

If you can park your cark on a smooth and level surface, here is a trick to try. Cut out 4 pieces of hardboard (or similar, floor tiles, lino), jack up car under cross member. Liberally grease the shiny side of two pieces. Lay the other two on top shiny side down so shiny/grease/shiny. Place each sandwich centrally under each tyre and carefully lower the car. This should make it very easy to turn the wheels lock to lock and may show up the clunk. Best if someone else turns the steering wheel while you get your head, safely, under the front end.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2017, 01:41   #8
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Faust;

If your already certain its the Steering Box, there's not much which can be done short of adjustment (Important: Per Service Manual!)...after that it needs to come apart for a refurb.

If you are still not certain, I like to have a helper move the St Wh back and forth from slop to slop, while observing all joints below, and feeling them for unexpected slop or movement in unexpected axes...if still nothing is located, sometimes, Divide and Conquer is called for...in this case, Steering / Idler Arms need to be separated, and possibly Upper Ball Joints to unload A Arms...with U/L Ball Joints connected by the Steering Knuckle, they are heavily preloaded by the Spring, so in a static test, it will be nearly impossible to locate slop in the Ball Joints...use Tommy Bar to gently lever, again checking for slop...jeah, it's rather tedious, but the only certain technique for locating issue...

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 08:40   #9
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Did you get to be the bottom of the issue? Due to the antiquated steering system noise and vibration can transmit anywhere ending at the parts bolted to the car ( s/box and idler).
Why they did not use a rack pinion I will never know even the humble Morris minor had it.
As already been raised by Ron check the lot.please let us know what it was

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 12:11   #10
Faust
Master Member

Not had a chance to find the clunk yet (been working a fair bit on my girlfriend's V70 & a mate's Focus).

I'll probably get a garage to have a look at the problem next week as I've not really got anywhere I can safely get both front wheels off the ground.

To be fair, the clunk doesn't seem to happen as often as it used to... I only drive my Amazon a couple of times a week for short journeys so it's kind of slipped my mind.

I'll update this thread when I have more news.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post: