Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (2nd hand) XC90 2004 D5...what to do now...

Views : 552

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2017, 20:49   #1
SweetAs

Talking New (2nd hand) XC90 2004 D5...what to do now...

Hi All,

I've just purchased my first Volvo :thumbs_up

At the risk of being called an old man when I'm in my early 30s it's way too comfortable and well sized for the family to have said no!

We had a Mondeo ST diesel up until 2 weeks ago when a lorry drove into it which absolutely gutted me if I'm being honest. We run a small workshop and the month before moved into a new unit which needed kitting out, not cheap. The last thing we needed right now was to have to buy a new car let alone shop around for one. The Mrs has loved the XC90 for a while so we managed to find one for a very good price and it looks in good nick but what to do now?

It's a 2004 2.4 D5 with 130000 on the clock. Full service history and all the paperwork to go with the work that's been carried out. It drives well, no slipping with the gears and no knocks or clunks as far as I could tell. We looked at it last week, the guy said it hadn't been started in a few days and had a slight up and down idle but once warm this went away. Turned uo unannounced today, started it and no issues so took thr plunge. Hopefully no injector issues but I've priced that into the cost of the vehicle if absolutely needs be.

Cam belt and pulley have been done and the last service was only about 8k ago. So what should I do now I've got it? I was thinking about flushing the trans fluid just to be on the safe side, putting a tank with millers through it and try to give the seats a bit of TLC as the leat her is worn and cracked.

Any other ideas for a high miler?

Cheers in advance. If it hadn't been for this forum and Swedespeed I would have been well and truly stuffed so it's been a massive help already!

Cheers, Sweet.
SweetAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 22:32   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Welcome to Volvo-land. Don't worry about the age thing: I was 29 when I got my first Volvo which was a brand new V70, courtesy of my company car scheme. I'm now on my fifth one . A change of ATF is a wise choice and perhaps run some Diesel Purge into the injectors, but other than that, I'd just use and and enjoy it, and note any issues if you happen to spot them.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 10:49   #3
Swg911

Welcome.

I'd definitely recommend checking when the fuel filter was last changed - well worth the £20 or so for a new one.
Swg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swg911 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 13:23   #4
gmonag
Premier Member

If the car has a credible service history then there should be nothing to do. However, I agree that a transmission fluid change is a good idea, because it is not a service item according to the Volvo schedule.

I also agree that a dose of LiquiMoly Diesel Purge would be good (it cleans the fuel system and injectors). The positive effect can be quite remarkable.

The 2004 model could be prone to failure of the splined sleeve which connects the drive to the rear wheels. To check the AWD, reach under the car with wheels on the ground, and try to turn the prop shaft (that runs front to rear). If it turns the sleeve has probably failed. That will leave you with FWD only. What you choose to do about it, if anything, will be up to you.

Last edited by gmonag; Aug 11th, 2017 at 13:27.
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 17:49   #5
Pluckem
Pluckem

Hello, definitely get one. Got two in my household and if one went I wouldn't hesitate in buying another. The one that gets used the most is a 04 D5 SE, this 04 doesn't have a PDF which is ideal for round town/city where most of its life is.
Gutted about the ST, got a Focus rs mk1 myself and think hot performance like the ST and RS are spot on.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 21:12   #6
SweetAs

Cheers for the help guys.

Picked it up this afternoon and it looks golden. Couple little teeeks/niggles but they were reflected in the price. Nothing I can't pick up from a scrappy.

Yeh I wasassibely gutted about the ST. It took me 4 months to find the right one. All new injected a few months ago and full service history but what can you do. It happens!
SweetAs is offline   Reply With Quote