Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newcomer need help - 940 instrument cluster info

Views : 499

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2017, 16:42   #1
Gareth 1812

Default Newcomer need help - 940 instrument cluster info

Hello

Can anyone help??

Does anyone know of a company who can repair a Yazaki instrument cluster, speedo and odometer not working, everything else works fine.

I’ve just bought a 1992 940 Se Turbo 4sp O/D estate, thinking that a faulty speedo would be easy to repair……..which appears to be wrong.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Cheers

Gareth
Gareth 1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 19:23   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Welcome aboard Gareth, your best bet is to find a good secondhand one, i think there was a company that did but no longer in existence unless someone else knows of another?

Just so you know, Yazaki and VDO clusters AREN'T interchangeable.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 19:31   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

Have you exhausted the advice in the FAQ.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Ele...struments.html

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Ele...eterRepair.htm

If you are able to narrow it down to the actual instrument then the second link will help you or the electronics engineer of your choice to repair it.

Be aware that some versions of the FAQ highlight the wrong screw to undo to dismantle the cluster. If it doesn't come apart very easily don't force it but investigate near the screw which you've just undone that looks slightly different to all the others.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 19:34   #4
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth 1812 View Post
Hello

Can anyone help??

Does anyone know of a company who can repair a Yazaki instrument cluster, speedo and odometer not working, everything else works fine.

I’ve just bought a 1992 940 Se Turbo 4sp O/D estate, thinking that a faulty speedo would be easy to repair……..which appears to be wrong.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Cheers

Gareth
See my reply to your request under the main General Section of the Forum for info.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 16:55   #5
tonyldee

Default Speedo repair

The usual fault is caused by failed capacitors in the printed circuit linking the speedo head. These can be replaced by a competent auto electrician BUT if they have leaked on to the copper contacts with the head you are doomed (like me) to trying to find a suitable replacement. There are several companies advertising a refurbishing service on ebay (usually around £180) but there is no guarantee that yours can be repaired. I am currently still looking and am using a HUD app on a spare smart phone which is as accurate as any speedo. And it is a free download.
Good luck
tonyldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 17:40   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyldee View Post
. I am currently still looking and am using a HUD app on a spare smart phone which is as accurate as any speedo. And it is a free download.
Good luck
If that speedo app (Speedy?) uses GPS to calculate the speed it's usually more accurate than most speedos with one caveat - that you are on level ground.
Going up or downhill will alter the accuracy, quite considerably in some cases, not as much in others.

Remember the 3-4-5 triangle from school maths lessons? Imagine that triangle is laying with the 4-side down and you are travelling downhill from the top of the 3-side along the 5-side.
The GPS will read your start and end positions as 4 units but in reality you will have traveled 5 units. If that is timed and the speed worked out (which is how GPS speedos work, time between two points) then arguably it will show 40mph when in fact you have been doing 50mph.

You can try it yourself, find a steep hill and keep your speed constant as you drive down. Make a note of where the rev counter is while keeping the speed constant driving down the hill. Now find some flat ground and get the speed to whatever the app said you were doing and note the revs - there's a good chance they will be different.

Some GPS-based apps are able to take the position into account including the altitude above sea level and correct this but not all. I know when i checked my speedo using the Speedy app, while accelerating up a fairly steep hill (one of the few round here) the speedo was showing 70+ and the app had dropped to about 55mph, all from a starting speed of 60mph on the app and 63mph on the car speedo.

The apps are very handy but aren't infallible.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 18:45   #7
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto

hi welcome
some of the breakers are good if you have the info a straight dash cluster is quite easy and the secondhand dash units should be easy to find with people who are breaking the 900 series on eBay
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote