Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£650 for a Year 2 service

Views : 4499

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2017, 16:24   #1
taz777
VOC Member

Default £650 for a Year 2 service

My car's in for a Year 2 service and I've just been left stunned by the cost. The Volvo servicer price indicator shows a cost of £374 for a Year 2 service.

My local Volvo dealer quoted me £440, but there's nothing over and above the standard maintenance that they carry out.

Reluctantly I accepted as it was convenient because they collect and deliver the car back to me.

They've just now phoned me and said that I should also get the brake fluid and coolant replaced at a cost of £202 as Volvo recommends this every two years, bringing the total cost of the service close to £650!!!

Have I been bent over a barrel? This is an official Volvo dealership. Volvo's own recommended schedule for coolant and brake fluid replacement is two years, so why is this another £200?
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 16:40   #2
iain cooper

this is absolute bull****, this dealer should be reported to Volvo Customer Services.

what dealer is it ?

Iain
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 18:37   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz777 View Post
My car's in for a Year 2 service and I've just been left stunned by the cost. The Volvo servicer price indicator shows a cost of £374 for a Year 2 service.

My local Volvo dealer quoted me £440, but there's nothing over and above the standard maintenance that they carry out.

Reluctantly I accepted as it was convenient because they collect and deliver the car back to me.

They've just now phoned me and said that I should also get the brake fluid and coolant replaced at a cost of £202 as Volvo recommends this every two years, bringing the total cost of the service close to £650!!!

Have I been bent over a barrel? This is an official Volvo dealership. Volvo's own recommended schedule for coolant and brake fluid replacement is two years, so why is this another £200?
Volvo have no recommendations for coolant changes It is there for life and does last that long ( usually and historically apart from some factory coolant in recent years ), they say only change it if it is not a bright blue/green or dirty or drained for any reason . Ask them for written proof of coolant change recommendations ! Is your coolant a nice clean bright blue/green colour ?

The second year service has the air filter and fuel filter changed over and above the first year service ... . Brake fluid is optional every 2 years not compulsory ..
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 18:37   #4
krzemien

Brake fluid and coolant replacement are optional indeed and were never included in the regular VOLVO service. It's up to you whether you want to have them replaced or not.

List if items included is here, obviously:

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/main...rice-indicator
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 18:59   #5
taz777
VOC Member

In two years the car has only done 13,500 miles. I've put on just 1,500 miles since I bought the car a year ago from this dealer as a nearly new car.

I was told by the service advisor that the brake fluid and coolant could be done in a month or so as Volvo advise them to be replaced every two years. Hence, I thought I would have to get them changed within a few weeks anyway so gave the go ahead. I wasn't aware it was entirely optional.

On other cars I've had, the coolant and brake fluid are tested to see whether the need changing or not.

I also notice on the invoice a charge for windscreen washer fluid. It was brimmed by me last weekend and the windscreen washer hadn't been used since.

In addition the brake fluid change and coolant change must have been done in well under an hour as the car was returned to me shortly after the call from the service advisor when she asked about the additional work. I don't know how long a brake fluid and coolant change actually takes.

Volvo Customer Services are aware but I don't think they give a toss.
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 20:28   #6
Billggski

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/main...rice-indicator
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 20:39   #7
taz777
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billggski View Post
This is what I used before the booking. I mentioned this price to the dealer and they said that it's just a guide price and failed to explain the price they charge and the price Volvo UK say will be charged for exactly the same service.

Price shown on the Volvo site: £374

Price charged by dealer: almost £650

The Volvo site makes no mention of coolant and brake fluid need to be changed after 2 years.

Quote:
This is done at every service:

Change engine oil
Change oil filter
Change cabin air filter
Software update
Read-out fault codes
Top up washer fluid
External car wash
Check seat belts
Check battery
Check wiper blades
Check tyre pressure
Check tyre condition
Check coolant system and anti freeze degree
Check for engine oil leaks
Check for transmission oil leaks
Check steering & front suspension
Check driveshaft joints & gaiters
Check propshaft joints
Check condition of brake/fuel lines & hoses
Check brake pads & discs
Check handbrake cables & linkages
Check brake hydraulic system
Check and top up engine compartment fluids
Reset service reminder indication
In addition, the following actions are performed at specified service intervals:

Change spark plugs
Change air filter
Change auxiliary drive belt & apply decal
Change fuel filter
Change timing belt & apply decal
Check rear endsprings
Check sealant kit
So for almost £650 I got an oil change, filters changed, plus coolant and brake fluid replaced.
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 20:51   #8
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Snows Volvo are doing a special offer at the moment if you do coolant and brake fluid together. I need the coolant changed as it's discoloured, and I've no evidence that the brake fluid has been changed at any point in the cars 10 year history. After some haggling and asking for a discount, I think they agreed on about £90 for both, although that was on top of a sizeable bill for a major service. I know I could change both fluids myself and save some money, but I really can't be bothered .
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 21:32   #9
taz777
VOC Member

Here's a breakdown of the work supposedly done:

All of that plus 20% VAT on top. Total = £644.08

I honestly feel I've been totally ripped off today. The labour charges for the coolant and brake fluid change seem high given that the car was ready so quickly after I gave the go ahead for that extra work that I now realise I didn't need at all.
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 21:48   #10
harveys
Master Member

The oil cost is OTT £111 + VAT
is that really £80 + VAT labour to change coolant. That's 3/4 hours time .