Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which Michelin Cross Climate tyres?

Views : 3214

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2017, 21:36   #1
Roland_F

Default Which Michelin Cross Climate tyres?

I'm thinking of replacing the nearly worn out original tyres with Michelin Cross Climates, and notice these are available in two fits (for XC60 18" wheels): 236 60 R18 107W XL or 103V AO. Both will meet the load and speed rating requirements of my XC60, and I've checked with Michelin customer care that despite the AO badging (indicating designed for Audi) they can be fitted to an XC60.

The XL rating is supposed not to give a harsher ride, but I'm a bit doubtful about this because on our other car (where Cross Climates replaced Continental winter tyres) the ride definitely became harsher. What does the collective wisdom of this forum suggest, please?

NB, we prefer comfort over pin-sharp handling.
Roland_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2017, 21:56   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

I'd go for the XL. This is the 'rating' for my Nokian Weatherproofs. I believe XL is more common for SUVs.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 07:25   #3
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

I have the XL rating on my Nokian winter tyres and don't notice any significant difference to the summer tyres without the XL rating.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuffolkBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 13:40   #4
andrewpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_F View Post
I'm thinking of replacing the nearly worn out original tyres with Michelin Cross Climates, and notice these are available in two fits (for XC60 18" wheels): 236 60 R18 107W XL or 103V AO. Both will meet the load and speed rating requirements of my XC60, and I've checked with Michelin customer care that despite the AO badging (indicating designed for Audi) they can be fitted to an XC60.

The XL rating is supposed not to give a harsher ride, but I'm a bit doubtful about this because on our other car (where Cross Climates replaced Continental winter tyres) the ride definitely became harsher. What does the collective wisdom of this forum suggest, please?

I fitted cross climates to my wife's saab 9-5, and thought the ride was actually improved over the admittedly-cheap Matadors it had. Seemed similar to the Pirelli P6000 I used to have on it when it was a company car. I like them....although you can hear them "squishing" in the wet as the water gets squeezed out of the way. Which is better than it staying there, I suppose!
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 20:44   #5
jjb

I'm thinking of replacing mine as well, but wanted to find out if all four tyres need to be replaced at the same time, or can it be done in pairs?
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 21:34   #6
Arianne
Premier Member

This is an excellent website that I found discussing the pros and cons of reinforced or Xtra Load (XL) tyres over standard loads....

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/reinf...es-hessamaldin

As for changing just two tyres at a time rather than all four....

.... I would never mix summer, winter or all-seasons up on the same vehicle. That is a recipe for disaster. Some folk think that running winters on the drive wheels while continuing to use summers on the other axle is okay - it is if you like the prospect of seeing your rear end overtake your bonnet on a corner (assuming front wheel drive).

If all four tyres are of the same general type (i.e. all of them are summers, all-seasons or winters) then it's okay to replace them in pairs across the same axle. The current fashion is for garages to tell you that your best tyres should be on the rear of the car. Depends who you talk to though as it used to be the opposite way around a few years ago!

Hope this helps?

Thought I should stray out of the XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3 thread once in a while!

Best wishes,

Arianne
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 21:42   #7
RichardXC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_F View Post

Go for the XL's you won't be disappointed. My R-Design XC60 a Polestar D4 has a transformed ride on them, the brittle edge to the round town ride having completely gone.

There is a trade off, there is a discernable reduction in sharpness to the handling, specifically the initial response to steering movement. I am guessing that will be familiar to those using winter tyres as like those, these have a softer rubber compound.

Haven't had any cold weather since fitting them but these tyres are superb in the wet.

The main advantage so far though is greatly reduced road noise on a car that was already remarkably quiet on that score.

Only done 600 miles so far on them so early days as far as verifying any fuel consumption improvement, but one can feel a reduction in rolling resistance when lifting off the throttle.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 21:52   #8
RichardXC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb View Post
I'm thinking of replacing mine as well, but wanted to find out if all four tyres need to be replaced at the same time, or can it be done in pairs?
Can successfully be done in pairs (on the same axle of course!) we've an Audi A6 (front wheel drive) on the fleet that has done about 20,000 miles in a year with Cross Climates only on the front. As a bonus they are wearing far better than any other tyres on this 125,000 mile car.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 21:59   #9
RichardXC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
This is an excellent website that I found discussing the pros and cons of reinforced or Xtra Load (XL) tyres over standard loads....

As for changing just two tyres at a time rather than all four....

.... I would never mix summer, winter or all-seasons up on the same vehicle. That is a recipe for disaster. Some folk think that running winters on the drive wheels while continuing to use summers on the other axle is okay - it is if you like the prospect of seeing your rear end overtake your bonnet on a corner (assuming front wheel drive).

If all four tyres are of the same general type (i.e. all of them are summers, all-seasons or winters) then it's okay to replace them in pairs across the same axle. The current fashion is for garages to tell you that your best tyres should be on the rear of the car. Depends who you talk to though as it used to be the opposite way around a few years ago!

Hope this helps?

Thought I should stray out of the XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3 thread once in a while!

Best wishes,

Arianne
I agree with all of that..... only the Cross Climates are a snowflake rated summer tyre. I do have all four freshly fitted on mine, but have driven the A6 with them on the front and OE summer Conti's on the rear and even on wet, muddy country lanes there is no sign of any rear steer or otherwise unusual handling characteristics.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 22:24   #10
Roland_F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post

Hope this helps?

Best wishes,

Arianne
Thanks, Arianne, that's very helpful. Apart from anything else, it indicates that there shouldn't be too radical a difference in ride comfort between XL and standard load tyres from the same manufacturer and tyre sub-brand.
Roland_F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all season, cross climate, tyres