Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar I couldn't resist.

Views : 11494

Replies : 138

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2017, 20:51   #21
Considered1
Premier Member

But we've already established most folk would whinge if the car came with more bells and whistles and cost £800 more. whatever they do they Can't win.

Tesla do charge extra for the Ludicrously fast upgrade

to me it's a great way to prelong the enjoyment of the carby adding it later, even if this was a bit short in my case, so I can blame Volvo for wanting much much more...!

Before anyone asks I do not feel the need to take this RS6 to 800+hp!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 22:15   #22
Peter Lee

Just looking at the figures on this website:

https://www.polestar.com/uk/product/...tomatic-2018-3

It looks like the torque band is shifted up from 1500 to 2500 and I'd be interested to see how this changes the way the car drives. These big cars are supposed to be lazy cruisers (in my opinion - you don't buy an XC60 to do a track day). The Polestar upgrade seems to achieve the extra power by raising the rev limit and and sticking more boost in the mid-range.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 22:34   #23
Beckhamboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
This is how a car of this price and "luxury" should behave - you shouldn't have to pay £800 to remove the imperfections you and others have identified by their absence on application of Polestar. Volvo are selling an under-performing vehicle and then asking customers to pay for the dubious privilege of now having it work at optimum levels - adjustments which should have been performed before the car left the factory.
I entirely agree with both AB-UK and Lexman8, that this is how the car should have been from new but the fact is that it wasn’t. By shelling out my £635 I now have a car that pleases me every time I drive it - surely that’s good value and much better than getting stressed out about how it should be but isn’t?
Beckhamboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beckhamboy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 00:18   #24
Murph7355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckhamboy View Post
I bought my XC90 D5 (MY 2016) with 9000 miles in January 2017 to replace a 2014 BMW X3 MSport and now 11,000 miles later I'm still delighted.
A couple of weeks ago, after much thought and persuaded by the £200 discount, I had the Polestar optimisation installed by my local Dealer, Holden's in Norwich (I didn't buy the car from them but they have been most helpful, even collecting and returning the car free of charge).
So what difference has the Polestar made?
Firstly I notice that the engine doesn't sound quite so typically diesel when I first start it in the garage. It's not gone quiet, but it does seem to have lost some of the rattle that diesels typically have.
Secondly, whilst the car was not exactly slow previously, it now seems to have an eager athleticism about it and small increments of pressure on the accelerator produce significant results. Most importantly the 40-80 or even 90 acceleration seems much more rapid with a noticeable push in the back. It's no tyre shredding boy racer, but then neither am I, but it is responsive and good to drive.
Thirdly, prior to Polestar I was experiencing a slight hesitation at times - often when coming into a roundabout on a trailing throttle at about 15-20mph, ready to brake if necessary, then seeing that the way was clear and on pressing the accelerator again the car would take half a second or so to react before seeming to drop one gear too many and then accelerating fiercely. Not as bad as it sounds but I like to pride myself on being a smooth driver and there were times when the car caught me out! I'm delighted to say that this behaviour has now completely gone and the gear changes are now imperceptible and the correct gear always seems to be selected.
Fuel consumption doesn't seem to have altered, but perhaps I'm just enjoying the improved performance and a long run may prove me wrong.
Finally my Insurance Company did not wish any additional premium from me.
And am I going to take the option to have it removed after 14 days? certainly not, I'm enjoying it too much.
Is your car fitted with the PowerPulse system?

Reading this thread has started to make me think about an upgrade to ours...XC90 D5 MY16 (June 2016), no PowerPulse though...
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 07:08   #25
Jcbrown

Got mine booked in for "Polestar Performance Optimisation"

Just a pity they could not fit it in this week, before trip "up-norf" - would have been a good way to evaluate it.

So booked in for Wed 25th
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 11:18   #26
BillyJay

Just had mine done by Rybrook in Warrington. They said that there was no offer at the moment and charged £835.
BillyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 11:33   #27
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
This is how a car of this price and "luxury" should behave - you shouldn't have to pay £800 to remove the imperfections you and others have identified by their absence on application of Polestar. Volvo are selling an under-performing vehicle and then asking customers to pay for the dubious privilege of now having it work at optimum levels - adjustments which should have been performed before the car left the factory.
I have a Polestarless car and I don't find it lacking in performance, but if it can be made to perform
better purely by a software upgrade, that's how it should be delivered without extra cost.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 12:06   #28
BillyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJay View Post
Just had mine done by Rybrook in Warrington. They said that there was no offer at the moment and charged £835.
Rybrook say that they didn't know about the offer but will sort out a refund retrospectively if I submit the online form to Volvo. Lack of communication somewhere.
BillyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BillyJay For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 13:23   #29
gmk666

Just sent the enquiry via MyVolvo.
When my wife notices there's £635 missing from the account, I'm going to blame everyone on here.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 15:30   #30
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJay View Post
I'm getting mine done tomorrow @£635 special offer, if you have had you're car done in the last couple of weeks I would get back to your dealer SAP.
Just seen your later post. Glad they are sorting it for you.