Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 - v - XC90

Views : 1070

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2017, 21:23   #1
Driver09

Default XC70 - v - XC90

Having always driven petrol Volvo' for the last 40 years, 145/245/V70 I am now seriously researching to buy either XC70 or XC90 in D5. Any advice on what to look for and pro's and con's on both models would be much appreciated. I would prefer the 180bhp or higher models.
So far in my researches there appear to be a veritable mountain of XC90 D5' on the market all circa 160k miles give or take, why? Have all the school runners suddenly abandoned diesel or are company fleets having a clear out?

Thanks in advance for your input
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 21:30   #2
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Depending on how big a car you want really?
The 70 was my choice for low boot floor height for making loading a heavy disability scooter easy and the 'just right' seat height for my disabled Mum to easily slide in or out without climbing up to the seat or being too low.
I like the look of the 90 but it's heavier as well so didn't suit me.
Maybe my reasons for going for a 70 help you a bit?

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 23:36   #3
999gsi

We picked up our xc90 r design 3 weeks ago.. 10 plate 80k on the clock,Traded in an Insignia Elite Turbo (Petrol). We love it, best car I have ever owned, Quiet, comfortable,does more mpg than the Insignia. Never thought I would own a diesel but although it’s nowhere as quick as the vx it has plenty of torque especially mid range. Our plan is to buy a caravan hence buying an suv. I cannot recommend the xc90 enough.. Buy one and you won’t look back.. ps Carscene Norwich have a couple in stock with low mileage. I bought mine from here and would definitely deal with them again..Phil.
999gsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 22:34   #4
JGTTDI

I purchased my XC70 2005 D5 lux two weeks ago and love it. A very nice place to be but with the added ride height speedbumps are a breeze. The D5 is a nice engine, mine is the 163bhp so no issues with DPF filter etc. It has a nice torque curve and is also quite quiet considering it's a diesel. Average around 35mpg from mixed driving.

My brother has the XC90 D5 and he also has nice things to say about it.

Thanks Jonathan.
JGTTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 22:47   #5
Driver09

Thanks for that guys, a bit of help. Here's what I'm looking for.
My two main interests are fishing and falconry and exploring potential new locations for said countryside pursuits. I once took a 245 into the Cairngorms on a poor farm track, across fields and streams the only thing that stopped me eventually after a good few miles was a 20 foot snowdrift. I had to do a 3 point turn into a stream to turn around, which the car did without a a slip. So I am looking for a practical car on and off road and one that's not too sluggish on the highways. I'm leaning towards the XC70 simply because it appears to be like a 245/V70 on steroids. However, the XC90 might be the ticket as long as it's not just another school run or Waitrose 4x4? I don't expect Range Rover or Hummer performance off road but I need a reasonable degree of performance off road, better than the average non Volvo estate.
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 22:51   #6
Driver09

Thanks Jonathan,"so no issues with DPF filter etc" what are these about please? I'm NO mechanic I just put the right fluids in the right places and drive
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 08:29   #7
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver09 View Post
Thanks Jonathan,"so no issues with DPF filter etc" what are these about please? I'm NO mechanic I just put the right fluids in the right places and drive
Diesel particulate filter - fitted from 2005 to the euro4 engine and (I assume) later. They're only troublesome on cars that are only used for short 'school and shopping' runs. Anything that gets a good blast weekly shouldn't have a problem.
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 09:34   #8
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver09 View Post
So I am looking for a practical car on and off road and one that's not too sluggish on the highways. I'm leaning towards the XC70 simply because it appears to be like a 245/V70 on steroids. However, the XC90 might be the ticket as long as it's not just another school run or Waitrose 4x4? I don't expect Range Rover or Hummer performance off road but I need a reasonable degree of performance off road, better than the average non Volvo estate.
Volvo refer to the XC70 as their most capable off road car.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 09:37   #9
JGTTDI

With lots of start stop journeys the Diesel particulate filter can block up causing running issues. The 163bhp Xc70 isn't fitted with this but the euro 5 185bhp is (would imagine same goes with the XC90)

From the requirements you need from the vehicle I think the xc70 is the better option. It's lighter and in my opinion more nimble. Also if you need the extra ground clearance you can purchase a lift kit to raise the suspension.

Hope this helps.
JGTTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 09:53   #10
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGTTDI View Post
With lots of start stop journeys the Diesel particulate filter can block up causing running issues. The 163bhp Xc70 isn't fitted with this but the euro 5 185bhp is (would imagine same goes with the XC90)

From the requirements you need from the vehicle I think the xc70 is the better option. It's lighter and in my opinion more nimble. Also if you need the extra ground clearance you can purchase a lift kit to raise the suspension.

Hope this helps.
Fitted from Euro 4 onwards. Grey engine cover's the giveaway.

OP, we went the XC70 route. It's all the car we need for family, dogs, light off road. I don't see the 90 adds anything except a certain clumsiness caused by extra bulk. Others' views will vary
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote