Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hesitation and slow accelerating

Views : 2179

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2017, 22:06   #11
Diezel0218

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Holmer View Post
I have a June 2000 V70 2.4 20v non-turbo automatic with a hesitation issue. Every so often, if accelerating up from a slower speed or from standing still, the engine does not respond much at all takes a second or two get going. It then has a bit of a burst of speed. This started this summer as I was driving to Spain and has been getting worse.

I did have an issue when I bought the car with the camshaft position sensor which I have now, seemingly, fixed.

I have since replaced the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and fuel pump (for unrelated reasons) so they are brand new and I swapped the ETM for one from a scrapped V70 I have with the same vintage and engine, but manual, but that made matters worse.

The autobox has not given me any issues at all and works fine. Any ideas what this could be? I have no engine codes.
Try this, it worked for me. I think the Air Inlet Valve of your car (flap inside the throttle body) has got gunk / grease, and is sticky. Normally it's supposed to open as you accelerate from stationary position, but the car will hesitate because of the stickiness. Use a degreaser, preferably Mr Muscle, and a clean fluff-free cloth. Clean up that flap free of grease. Clean the inside of the throttle body as well. Make sure that the engine is off while doing this, and also make sure you don't leave any piece of cloth inside the throttle body. Hesitation should go away instantly.
Diezel0218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 22:09   #12
George Holmer
VOC Member

Sadly mine is pretty clean as I had already cleaned it in the pursuit of another issue which turned out to be a cracked air hose.

I know, I know. It is old and battered 197k miles and not very well looked after by the previous owner but I need it to run for another couple of years.
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 04:31   #13
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinBiskits View Post
guys, stop clutching at straws and get a code reader onto it.

Sounds like the MAF to me
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 05:35   #14
Volvo V70 diesel

George,
If it makes help.

VV70
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B5244SE.pdf (150.7 KB, 22 views)
Volvo V70 diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo V70 diesel For This Useful Post: