Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

!990 gl B200F

Views : 2000

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2017, 22:57   #1
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

Default !990 gl B200F

This post was on the wants section so iv placed it on here hoping someone can help........ i am having idle problems when cold .....OK the system is jet tronic with no warm up regulator.... i have had the cold start injector tested and working perfectly ...then a friend lent me a noid to test the feed and there is no signal to the cold start injector..????? next step get wiring tested///oh yes all fuses ok /// any suggestions other than that please or if someone has had similar problems......but im still wondering if it will cure the rough idle until warm....regards Adrian... update i did put a new original temperature sensor in but may need to test that as well...?????
timetrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 08:07   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

According to Haynes the temperature sensor should have a resistance of 2,000 - 2,900 Ohms when cold and 250 - 300 Ohms when hot.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 14:32   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I'm confuddled, as per usual yes.

Is this an LH engine? It's B200F and my B200F is LH.

Have the fault codes been read yet?
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 17:46   #4
b296

I'm confused too.

If it's electronic injection (lh2.4) found on post 90 models then it should not have a cold start valve?

If it's k jet it will have a cold start valve (mechanical injection) and it should have a warmup regulator if I am not mistaken?

Pic of the engine bay to clear this up?
b296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 21:27   #5
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

It is the B200F 2Lt H reg Gl !990 jetronic without warmup regulator.right hand drive....just idle problems when cold...but it picks up after a couple of miles.
i have replaced the temperature sensor {original} but will be checking to see if its working...if it isnt then it wouldnt send a signal to the injector ...well thats what im thinking anyway..?? got it from brookhouse. the engine has only done 90.600. reg is ;;H210 GNF....
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 21:29   #6
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

will be doing the fault codes to...
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 22:58   #7
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I know little but yes, the fault codes are a good place to start I reckon.

If you have not read the codes before, there is a good how to read codes thread in the forum. Click here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=169603

And. There is no need to cut the tiny little cable tie that holds the lid on the reading device. That cable tie won't stop you opening the lid. It is just a retainer to avoid dropping the lid and losing it.

P.S. Which temperature sensor did you replace? There is a temperature sensor specifically for the LH jetronics. On the side of the head, on the inlet side. Separate from the temperature gauge sender. But if that LH Jetronics temperature sensor is faulty you should get a fault code, if I remember correctly.

Good luck.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Oct 18th, 2017 at 23:04. Reason: P.S.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 08:51   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b296 View Post
I'm confused too.

If it's electronic injection (lh2.4) found on post 90 models then it should not have a cold start valve?

There was a progression of LH jetronic models from LH 2.2 to LH 2.4, and the earlier ones had 4 main injectors and a fifth cold-start injector on the underside of the inlet manifold. On later models the 5th injector was dropped, and cold-start enrichment came from all four injectors.

Mine's a 1991 LH 2.4 with 5 injectors. It's explained in Haynes, and Brickboard has a lot of threads on the subject of variations even with LH 2.4 models.

My understanding is that regardless of which injectors do the enriching, all are triggered by the temperature sensor in the block under no. 3 inlet port, which surely is the first thing to test?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 11:13   #9
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

Hi Again....A bit of history as i know it {without boring anyone}. got from ebay 8years ago for 900 with 68,000 on clock,,[now 90,600}, it had a ticking in engine..this was eventually resolved being the bucket on top of the valve on number 2 cylinder and replacing all cushioners and one shim..then it wouldn't idle properly as the new shim was slightly to big but resolved...anyway.... {After replacing many other parts such as injector seals-pressure regulator-inlet gasket.idle control valve-injectors tested-engine mounts-plugs and dizzy cap}thinking it was one of them... so all ok until cold start problem now.... it is the 5 injector 2 ltr gl in great condition i might add...so to recap i am getting the temperature sensor {the one under number 3}tested as no signal to cold start injector{ thanks to clifford pope }.....will update you in a few days unless there are any other suggestions....OR maybe there is a member close to me in wolverhampton with the knowledge,,who i may show the estate too...regards Adrian
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 21:02   #10
b296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
There was a progression of LH jetronic models from LH 2.2 to LH 2.4, and the earlier ones had 4 main injectors and a fifth cold-start injector on the underside of the inlet manifold.
Thanks - very interesting. Still much to learn here!
b296 is offline   Reply With Quote