Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Focus engine mount

Views : 1047

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2017, 17:10   #1
k1elliott

Default Focus engine mount

Hi All,

First post. S40, 1.8i petrol, 2005. 40k miles.

After some research, I ordered the following from that auction site: -

Transmission Engine Motor Mount CM5Z-6068A FOR 2013-2014 Ford Focus

Symptoms: -
- slap when changing gear
- car jerking at crawl and when pressing/releasing throttle (terrible in slow traffic)
- weak clutch engagement (possibly making this up but definitely feels better now)
- generally unpleasant to drive

Installing part: -
- front up on ramps or axle stands - tray off
- remove 14mm vertical bolt into sub frame
- remove 14mm bolt attaching mount to bracket
- engine now swings on upper mounts - don't be alarmed
- couldn't get the old mount out by pulling engine forward, so remove three 13mm bolts holding the bracket to engine block
- bracket off and pull out mount towards front of car
- PAY ATTENTION to its original installation (which side is up) because it's not clear what side is up for the replacement
- to determine this, place the old and new parts side by side on a window sill or similar with the bushing flush to the surface and the bracket ends over the edge
- look through the 2 bolt holes (4 in total) of each and if they align then you have them both in the same positioning
- if not then invert the new part
- in fact, I found that given the positioning the threads on the new part, you could only get the bolts into place with the new part oriented one way - so no need to worry, but if the bolts do go in both ways (you'll know what I mean if you attempt this), then line them up as suggested
- attach new mount to bracket loosely with one of the 14mm bolts and slot mount into position
- insert 13mm bolts for the bracket into the block and loosely tighten
- last 14mm bolt to locate the mount into subframe and tighten ( I didn't use my torque wrench but gave it a decent amount of power)
- then do up the three 13mm's for the bracket. These are going into an aluminium block so pinch tight with a spanner (hard to get to the top one), then about 1/20th of a turn (best get the torque settings if you are unsure and use correct tools). Maybe use some loctite also.
- then do up the last 14mm through the mount to the bracket - nice and tight but nothing mad. These bolts aren't under much strain so it's not scientific.

Outcome: -
- Way nicer gear change
- less slap but still noticable (going to do top ones also at some stage)
- better clutch engagement
- MUCH better about town

My under tray is missing, so it took me 45 mins to detach and reattach and about 45 minutes worrying about orientation of the part.

Well worth it especially given the cost of the part.

hth

Last edited by k1elliott; Oct 20th, 2017 at 17:14.
k1elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k1elliott For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 17:18   #2
StatusRed
Premier Member

Nice one!

Just going to mention, your undertray isn't missing, they simply weren't supplied with the petrol models (I also thought mine was missing at first!).

You could do what I did and get an aftermarket undertray to fit the S40 or Ford Focus if you want one

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 17:24   #3
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Hi and greeetings from the neighbourhood
Just out of curiosity, did you get your on Ebay US aswell? There is no link to auction on your post.
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 17:52   #4
k1elliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Hi and greeetings from the neighbourhood
Just out of curiosity, did you get your on Ebay US aswell? There is no link to auction on your post.
fleabay US - yes, wasn't sure whether I would be flamed for a link ;-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transmissi...53.m2749.l2649

Took a few weeks to get to me but that wasn't a problem for me.

Last edited by k1elliott; Oct 20th, 2017 at 17:53. Reason: postage
The Following User Says Thank You to k1elliott For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 17:54   #5
k1elliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Nice one!

Just going to mention, your undertray isn't missing, they simply weren't supplied with the petrol models (I also thought mine was missing at first!).

You could do what I did and get an aftermarket undertray to fit the S40 or Ford Focus if you want one
That's mad ! My belts are hissing from getting soaked I think. Shoddy ! (speaking of shoddy - the amount of light coming from the headlights would be laughable if it wasn't dangerous - next project after throttle body cleanup)
The Following User Says Thank You to k1elliott For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 20:37   #6
clarinbarry

I done the throttle body today was a fairly easy job

I'm in Galway I see you lads are irish as well small parish and all!

I Got carb and throttle cleaner for min but theres a flap on the throttle body and that was moving on its own when the car was idle I was at looking at it it opened a few times a small bit and closed back in again which would be what I would see on the rev counter

Anyway I have done a small bit of research and theres a solenoid that works this and mine looks fairly past it so i'm going replacing that

The cleaner made a big difference I also put wynns injector cleaner in about 3 weeks ago and that made a HUGE difference it was €9 in halfords
clarinbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clarinbarry For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 11:53   #7
k1elliott

I forgot to mention in original post that a horrible vibration at 70mph was also present.
Still there but not as bad, so top mounts need doing also.

Throttle body is next. Its almost cutting out when I throttle down.

Nice car for the money. Will be lovely to drive once these niggles are sorted.

Not much of a motorway cruiser though but I knew a 1.8i wouldn't be leaving a wake behind me.
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 13:10   #8
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1elliott View Post
fleabay US - yes, wasn't sure whether I would be flamed for a link ;-)

Took a few weeks to get to me but that wasn't a problem for me.
Thanks, thats exactly where I got mine.
TBH I am still not sure what is the deal with this part - it surely looks like afttermarket chineese copy as metal looks like its cut with angle grinder etc, but on another hand seem like its the only source for acquiring those and people generally have no issues with them... I am pretty sure its not OEM Ford part, but then again - you wont get this p.n in dealership in Europe at all so....

anyway - enjoy! it does make a hell of a difference!
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 22:28   #9
volvopilot

I feel a slap when changing gear when under high load. Only happens occasionally when flooring it and changing from 2nd to 3rd in particular.

The engine seems to vibrate a little more than usual too when idle with an open bonnet. Would this lower motor mount make any difference in that case? Or is it better to get replacements for the upper motor mounts. they seem to be easily excess able.

I have a 1.8 petrol manual from 2006. So should be the same car as you have.
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvopilot For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 16:11   #10
volvopilot

can anyone confirm that this is that same motormount including the bracket? as one piece? It looks very different than the one from the topic starter. But according to a parts website and my license plate this is the part for the car.
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote