Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help please on tyres and parts

Views : 285

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 01:52   #1
Houser2280

Default Help please on tyres and parts

Hi All,

New to all this so hi. Bought my first Volvo yesterday and so far love it. Its 14 years old but feels brilliant. I have a couple of questions though.

I checked everything on the car even the tyre depth. One thing I didn't check was the size of the tyres on the car. The front two have 205/55/R16 whilst the back two have 195/55/R16. I'm guessing this is not normal. Is it illegal?

Secondly has anybody got any tips for parts. I have a silver 1.6s S40. I'm looking to change it's appearance by removing the black trim from the doors and at the bottom on the sills and bumpers and replacing them with silver ones. Also looking for a silver spoiler like the ones on the sporty models. Anybody know a good deal out there?

Finally some of the interior trim looks grubby and the switches are minging particularly the floating centre consol. Any body know where I can get some crome knobs for the radio and heater buttons?

On budget here so looking for second hand parts.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
Houser2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 07:26   #2
eternal optimist
Master Member

Not illegal to have different sized tyres on front and rear, but should be same size each side At each end of the car.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 07:59   #3
Whyman
Premier Member

Don’t think it’s normal but it is more usual to have the larger tyres on the rear.

Check the manual but a I think that unless yours is a sporty model then the tyres should be the same size on the front and the rear.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 08:59   #4
Dippydog
Premier Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.For parts there are some members that break cars for spares keep an eye on the sales section of the board relevant to your model year of car.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 11:23   #5
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Having a quick look online the 195/55 may be a bit small for your car (not hideously so don't panic). As already said keep them in pairs on the same axle, I did once drive a truck which had odd tyres on the front axle and it veered alarmingly under braking, it took some time to get through to the tyre fitter that even if they were new tyres one of them was the wrong size.
There should be a table/chart in the handbook or on the drivers door pillar or the inside of the fuel flap which will have the various size tyres and the recommended pressures for different loads and speeds, you could check there for the sizes that are normal, beware that one of the sizes given may be for winter tyres. Alternatively a post in the appropriate S40 section would get detailed advice.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:02   #6
Kido

Default Volvo v70 d5 2006 fuel line

In need of the fuel line pipe , that goes into the engine Driver side , it has rudded against the drive shaft and is licking, can any help with this park ?
Kido is offline   Reply With Quote