Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance companys at it

Views : 1733

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2020, 08:48   #11
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Just insured the house via an online broker at a reasonable in this day and age price. The insurer is LV so I thought that I would get a direct quote. After filling out the tedious form they told me that they did not insure properties in our area.
Strange that.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 21:04   #12
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi.
If anyone ever needs any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 21:07   #13
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madspark01 View Post
I changed cars from a c4 grand Picasso to an xc90 when I went to transfer insurance to Volvo they wanted £390 additional premium to cover till mid May.
so obviously didn't use them so I canceled policy further £56 to do that.
went on the comparison sites and was getting quotes of £670 - £730 to to same day so I decided to change start date to 12th and policy for year dropped to £380
Couldn't work that one out but took it so now happily running about in Volvo
Madspark- I had exactly the same when I swapped insurance from my S60 to a Jeep, i was paying ~£400 a year for my Volvo, I swapped to the Jeep about half way through and Hastings wanted £600 to swap for the remaining 6 months, even though their price for the year was around £400, or £45 to cancel.

I said I wasn’t happy being charged £45 to cancel so I could insure with them again and they agreed to waive the cancellation fee. As soon as I had the new policy I then cancelled that too, as you can in the first 14 days without penalty. About an hour on the phone altogether but saved me £45.

I then insured the Jeep with the AA for £320. Hastings did write and email a few times asking for payments due to a glitch in their system that wouldn’t cancel my policy but I rang and complained to their customer relations team who gave me £40 compensation, and then a few months later they took £76 from my debit card. I rang and spoke to customer relations again who apologised, refunded my £76 and gave me a further £50 compensation.

I also always insure 21 days in advance, it usually works out around £300 cheaper than insuring immediately for me.

Cheers, Luke
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Discombobulated For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 22:42   #14
pinballdave

A few years back I decided to take my 850 off the road for a month or two so I could attend to some of the bigger jobs that needed doing. It just so happened that my mum had recently given up driving, and had her 850 sitting in the garage not being used. (I took my parents out for a drive when I bought mine twenty-mumble years ago, and they must of liked it as they asked me to drive them to the dealers a couple of days later).

Both cars were almost exactly the same spec, with the only exceptions being that hers was a little bit newer and had an auto-box, The insurance company wanted an extra £500 for the remaining 5 months of the policy. When I queried the reason, it was because it would be "a new car to you" and "you will be a higher risk while you get used to the new car".
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinballdave For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 15:30   #15
Dastardly Diesel

Insurers talk some absolute sh**e. Any made up excuse to squeeze a customer for money, and never mind any research or actual evidence to substantiate their claims.

About 15 years ago I moved house, just a little over a mile from one village to the next. My insurance went up and when I queried this I was told this was because it was a higher risk area.

Well, at the time I was a copper and a quick glance at the stats showed that it was a lower risk are for all categories of auto crime, and there were less reported RTC's in the new postcode...so where was the higher risk? I rang up and pointed this out to them and they immediately, without a moments quibble, restored my policy price to its previous amount, so they new full well they were trying to pull a fast one.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dastardly Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 18:59   #16
deepsix

These last couple of weeks both cars came up fpr renewal. Both with Direct line.Nothing changing on either policies, no points accidents or mods since last time.
Citroen DS3 went up about £2.00 (about 1.5%)
The Vlovo went up £110.00 (about 32&)
Happy with Citroen last week but queried the rise on the Volvo. Was told "that's what it is"
It's a pain but quite revealing, checking out other insurers, especially with Polestar added.None could be quoted via their websites because of Polestar.

NFU seemed not bad but quite expensive.

SAGA took 3 days to find a day when an undewriter was available. Their website seems good but none of their underwriters would take on a polestarred car. SAGA-old people- Volvos?? seemed suprising really.

Footman James wouldn't insure a modern car unless a classic was insured by them.

Adrian Flux were similar to Direct Line but far far too pushy, so gave them a very wide berth

Chris Knott were good and said would match D/Line and discount it 10%. I have had good service from them in the past so this was promising.

I thought out of interest I'd check Volvo's own insurance site and was very suprised. (I'd assumed it would be a high premium but good service) It came out at £50 cheaper than D/Line and covered more including guaranteed Volvo parts/repaier etc. Their customer service was very efficient too. Polestar not an issue at all.

I hadn't disclosed any renewal quotes.

I called Direct line back speaking to different salesman. Told them not to renew and they dropped their price by £55 immediately. Naturally I told them to ram it politely.

i'm not interested in the cheapest deal just didn't appreciate being taken for a ride by D/Line. I've not had any other issues with them in the past.

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deepsix For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 19:34   #17
Dastardly Diesel

Good for you. If an insurer doesn't offer me their cheapest deal first go, then they clearly don't think much of me as a customer. The more people tell them to shove it, then the more likely theyll stop this stupid shenanigans.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dastardly Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 19:44   #18
bob12
bob12

Renewal time is normally 'fun time' for underwriters and, brokers but, sad for those who know what just insurance they want at a realistic premium!!

Whoever you maybe with 'they' all play the same tricks to extract more money after the initial 'wedded bliss' of an acceptable first or second renewal premium!

I have been with all the reputable underwriters and brokers over the 30 years of ownership of my 745.

After just a short free phone call I have just renewed my comprehensive insurance, plus extras and full breakdown cover with my existing Underwriter (no change on original arrangement/terms) for an addition premium this year of £8 (3%) compared with the original renewal notice increase of £38 or 15%!! Bob

Last edited by bob12; Feb 21st, 2020 at 19:47.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 20:21   #19
abdiel
VOC Member

Just tried Volvo's official car insurance website, more than £110 more than
Direct Line.
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abdiel For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 20:38   #20
deepsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiel View Post
Just tried Volvo's official car insurance website, more than £110 more than
Direct Line.
No doubt I'll have to go through again it all next year! For the sake of an extra couple of quid I'd not bother looking, but I hate having my pants pulled down.

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deepsix For This Useful Post: