Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Manual & Hill Starts when Towing????

Views : 1055

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 18:47   #1
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Default XC90 Manual & Hill Starts when Towing????

I am looking at a new XC90 with a Manual Gearbox. This is not negotiable as if it has to be an automatic I will be buying something else despite being a Volvo owner for 20 years. We tried an auto & just didn't like it.

My question relates to the foot operated parking brake & hill starts when towing. I am not sure if it is a new technique that I will quickly learn or an absolute disaster that will ruin our enjoyment of the car. I have always driven hill starts by balancing clutch drag with throttle & handbrake but that would need to change.

How have others got on with manual transmissions & Foot operated parking brakes with no roll back control or other aids?
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 16:50   #2
dodgyken
Master Member

Not being rude - but what was wrong with the auto? what engine were you using?

The 6-sp geartronic is NOT the best auto in the world - but it is also far from being the worse. Additionally, for the V70 the geartonic will tow more than the manual - I am not sure about the XC90.

What weight/size are you looking to tow? How frequently and how far?

Personally I have found my V70 D5 geartronic a perfect tow companion - over all distances and conditions. It also a very rapid and comfortable car when it doesn't have the 1800-1900KG trailer on the back.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 09:59   #3
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

The XC90 we tried was the latest Type R demonstrator from our local Volvo distributor. We also tried an XC60 with an identical engine/gearbox & that was absolutely fine.

We asked the dealer about this & he said that it was down to the XC90 being much heavier. Doesn't make much sense to me but there you are.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 10:21   #4
gillberry
VOC Member

Hi Chris just noticed you are in Norwich was it Inchcape where you had a test drive ? If so I would have driven the same R design on my test drive and I have to say having driven all sorts of automatics over the years that this did not feel too different maybe I needed to go and testdrive other modern automatics as most I've driven are not new . I found this r design had plenty of torque and apart from the stiffer suspension catching a few of the potholes was a very smooth and comfortable ride . We will be towing our caravan with ours (when we get it del date sept) .
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:19   #5
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Must be my wondeful driving style. Yes it was Inchcape.

I do hope that you enjoy your XC90. I am ordering an XC60 later today
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:24   #6
gillberry
VOC Member

My other half preffered the xc60 but the boot area wasn't big enough for our dogs (2gsd's) plus I prefered the xc90 . So when you take delivery you will be one of the 1st to drive around Norwich in an xc60 .
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote