Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help and ideas needed for rattling noise

Views : 2881

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 23:47   #1
gatos
Premier Member

Default Help and ideas needed for rattling noise

Hi all. Need some help as my 1.9D started making a rattling noise again at idle. The noise first appeared last summer but stopped a few days later when the weather got colder. Couple of weeks ago, when the weather warmed up, the rattle returned!!! The noise is a lot more noticeable inside the cabin than on the engine bay

It only happens when the car is idling and it is the same when the engine is cold or warmed up. If I increase the revs ever so slightly, the noise disappears completely. Most of you (myself included) would immediately suggest the alternator pulley is on its way out. However, I completely removed the Aux belt and started the engine and the noise was still there. So I ruled out alternator, AC pump and PAS.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 00:08   #2
The Improver

How about the exhaust itself or heat shield and a wild guess of the fuel tank straps.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 01:15   #3
Baffler
Premier Member

Is it coming from the dashboard or the engine bay? Have you tried wedging your hand between the bottom of the windscreen and the dash to see if it stops?

BTW...your inbox is full

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 01:28   #4
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Improver View Post
How about the exhaust itself or heat shield and a wild guess of the fuel tank straps.
Checked everything under the car and everything is as tight as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Is it coming from the dashboard or the engine bay? Have you tried wedging your hand between the bottom of the windscreen and the dash to see if it stops?

BTW...your inbox is full
I will try that. I am planning to remove the dashboard in two weeks anyway in order to convert my AC to Climate. So if there are any loose bits in there, I wil tighten them properly this time
When I am inside the car, it sounds as if it comes from the engine bay. When I go to the engine bay it sounds as if it is coming from everywhere...... ANd why does it only happen when the weather is warmer?

I have cleared a few messages on my inbox.

Nullius in Verba
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 01:41   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

Have you checked the stay bar on the underside of the subframe isn't touching against the body?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 01:41   #6
Spike1918
Looney

It must be due to thermal expansion of something, is it a dull / muted rattle or a metallic rattle?

Volvo S70 SE auto 1998 vintage
Spike1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 02:07   #7
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Have you checked the stay bar on the underside of the subframe isn't touching against the body?
No. Will have a look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1918 View Post
It must be due to thermal expansion of something, is it a dull / muted rattle or a metallic rattle?
That is what I thought, as the noise first appeared when the weather warmed up. I would say it is more of a dull / muted rattle. It sounds very similar to the noise you get when the alternator pulley fails. That is why i was going to change my alternator. Bloody odd

Nullius in Verba
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 02:30   #8
Spike1918
Looney

I`m not familier with your model but does it have an over the engine plastic / composite cover with sound proofing felt like material on it`s underside?
If it does it might be that touching down somewhere, when it`s warmer the materials used soften and those covers can sag and distort.

Volvo S70 SE auto 1998 vintage
Spike1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 02:33   #9
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1918 View Post
I`m not familier with your model but does it have an over the engine plastic / composite cover with sound proofing felt like material on it`s underside?
If it does it might be that touching down somewhere, when it`s warmer the materials used soften and those covers can sag and distort.
Forgot to add that I have also removed both engine cover and engine undertray and started the engine, and noise was still there

Nullius in Verba
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 02:43   #10
Baffler
Premier Member

Try this tomorrow - if you lightly press and release the accelerator in quick succession is it more pronounced? It could be slack on the chain for the oil pump which is driven off the crankshaft.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post: