Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 700 series today ?

Views : 3753

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 13:23   #51
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Just finishing the cleaning/detailing the 744 prior to tomorrow's car show. On the subject of mileage, despite my (two) car's combined age of 65 yrs, their combined mileage is comparatively low at a shade under 300.00 miles.

Blimey it is hot here..!

Jon.

N.B 744 at just over 130.000, the 745 at just over 160.000.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 14:42   #52
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

So the oddometer mile to the car park took you about 4 minutes overall by the car clock. Minutes all of which I hope you enjoyed.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 15:18   #53
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
So the oddometer mile to the car park took you about 4 minutes overall by the car clock. Minutes all of which I hope you enjoyed.
I usually do, quite often listen to one particular track on CD which takes 3:54 but since changing the single shot CD/radio for a head unit and separate 6 disc changer that doesn't show track time, i can't remember which one it is!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 08:50   #54
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Well yesterday actually, lovely vintage show at Swaton, home of the World Egg Throwing Championships ! Nice classic car display, motorcycles, commercial vehicles and tractors. Only three older Volvos - two classics, my 744 and a 145. And a green 945 and a red V plate S40 in the car park.

Didn't take loads of photos but highlights were the BBMF Lancaster and Dakota, and I was interested to see -

Triumph Herald Coupe
Austin 3 Litre
Commer Cob (van)
Ford D series (truck)
Matchless 500 single (rigid/teles)
Triumph Tiger 100.

And friendly people, looking forward to the next show the 744 is taking me to.

J.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 10:48   #55
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Aha .... an Austin 3 Litre .... and it has survived .....

Old Jun 25th, 2018, 10:52   #56
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Aha .... an Austin 3 Litre .... and it has survived .....

There's quite a few that have - shame there weren't more made originally!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 11:48   #57
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

A shame indeed but that is life.

I suspect that even at the time not a lot of people were aware that they existed.

I guess they were seen as a super sized 1800 if I am thinking of the right car.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Jun 25th, 2018 at 11:50. Reason: Reason ?????
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 12:08   #58
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
There's quite a few that have - shame there weren't more made originally!

I know, I saw a like-new one for sale a little while back...I might have been tempted had I not had the Mercedes.

I also like the ADO 17s (Landcrabs), a girfriend's Dad had a Wolseley Six and lent it to us for a tour of the Scottish Highlands, an automatic, chrome gearlever on right of steering wheel protruding from dash citroen-style.

J.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jun 25th, 2018 at 12:50.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 13:30   #59
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
A shame indeed but that is life.

I suspect that even at the time not a lot of people were aware that they existed.

I guess they were seen as a super sized 1800 if I am thinking of the right car.

You've hit the nails firmly on the heads Stephen - first, they weren't well advertised and secondly, they weren't different enough to the 1800 for people to be immediately aware they were a different car.

The very first few had (sort of) rectangular headlamps but these were changed for 2 pairs (inner and outer) of round 5 3/4" lights instead as the "rectangular" lamps weren't particularly good, either on dipped or main beam.
Most of those cars were sold at a discount to unsuspecting buyers who were looking at the 1800 and were given a huge discount to do development work for BLMC.

Even with the different headlamps, most people thought they were "just another 1800, maybe a bit bigger". Although different, they weren't different enough.

Consider the 144 and 164E of a similar era. Both very similar cars but the nose treatment (wings, bonnet, "face" etc) of the 164E gave it more road presence and a different look entirely. From the front at least, the 164E was instantly recognisable as a very different car to the 144, even if the rear ends were still very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
I know, I saw a like-new one for sale a little while back...I might have been tempted had I not had the Mercedes.

I also like the ADO 17s (Landcrabs), a girfriend's Dad had a Wolseley Six and lent it to us for a tour of the Scottish Highlands, an automatic, chrome gearlever on right of steering wheel protruding from dash citroen-style.

J.
The Wolseley Six was again different to the 1800s courtesy of a different "face" - the first obvious point is the Wolseley "Ghost Light" in the middle of the grille. I think (if memory serves) the Wolseley also had vinyl covered C pillars giving it a further distinguishing feature.

Because of all the badge-engineering carried out by BLMC back then it's hard to remember details about specific models, especially ones as rare as the Austin 3-litre but i seem to recall it had plenty of wood and leather inside it.

Old Jun 25th, 2018, 13:37   #60
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The Wolseley Six was again different to the 1800s courtesy of a different "face" - the first obvious point is the Wolseley "Ghost Light" in the middle of the grille. I think (if memory serves) the Wolseley also had vinyl covered C pillars giving it a further distinguishing feature.

Because of all the badge-engineering carried out by BLMC back then it's hard to remember details about specific models, especially ones as rare as the Austin 3-litre but i seem to recall it had plenty of wood and leather inside it.
No C pillar vinyl on the Six.

Not that the Austin 3 litre was badge engineered, it had a two year lifecycle and was very different to the ADO 17s. For a start it was RWD with a 3 litre (longitudinal) engine, compare the interior to that of a VdP 3 or 4 litre or Westminster which it should be compared with.

J.