Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Refill Light

Views : 522

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2020, 11:58   #1
AinsyD4

Default Oil Refill Light

Hi fellow Volvo owners! Need some help / guidance if possible. I bought a V40 D4 in August. THe company said it’d had an oil / filter service. The refill 0.5 litre light cane on. Took it to my mechanic who put a new filter and fresh oil in around a month ago. The refill oil light is back on again. Checked for leaks, no leaks anywhere. Any advice on what to do next? Or anyone had this issue? Thanks guys
AinsyD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 09:14   #2
Austin160
Master Member

It sounds as if the car is burning oil, but you don’t give us any information which indicates whether this is excessive or not - although it sounds as if it is.
You will need to add details of mileage covered from point of purchase to point of when the oil and filter was again renewed, and also the mileage covered from that point to now.
Do you actually have a dipstick on this engine - which you can regularly observe oil usage over a specific mileage (judged on quantity required to return the oil level to the mark at which it was?
If indeed it turns out the car is consuming an unreasonable quantity of oil, then you will need to inform the seller, and start the process of investigation and rectification.
What age is this car and what is the mileage, and it’s history of servicing?
Kind regards,
Austin.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 10:10   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Not really enough info about which engine you have, so I'll assume it's a pre-2016 VEA D4 and point you towards this excellent post... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...47&postcount=6

No leaks, but I have to regularly top mine up. Doesn't seem to be much of a problem though.

Unfortunately my e-dipstick has too little resolution to make an assessment. I wait for the 'add 0.5L' message then add some from the comtainer I carry around. I've raised it with my Volvo dealer who describe it as normal.

Last edited by Zebster; Nov 2nd, 2020 at 10:13.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 11:29   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AinsyD4 View Post
Hi fellow Volvo owners! Need some help / guidance if possible. I bought a V40 D4 in August. THe company said it’d had an oil / filter service. The refill 0.5 litre light cane on. Took it to my mechanic who put a new filter and fresh oil in around a month ago. The refill oil light is back on again. Checked for leaks, no leaks anywhere. Any advice on what to do next? Or anyone had this issue? Thanks guys
do you have the 4 cylinder or 5 cylinder D4 engine and what model year ??
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 11:34   #5
Welton
Premier Member

I'm only posting to say how ridiculous it is to not have a dipstick!

I would not want to own a 10 year old car with no dippy, instead having to rely on a sensor that may or may not be accurate.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 13:02   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
I'm only posting to say how ridiculous it is to not have a dipstick!

I would not want to own a 10 year old car with no dippy, instead having to rely on a sensor that may or may not be accurate.
They are extremely accurate and have to be calibrated at each oil change ...
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 20:20   #7
Austin160
Master Member

If the sensors are accurate and reliable, yet need calibrating at every oil change, how does one confirm the sensor is accurate if you don’t know whether it has indeed been calibrated at the last (DIY??) service?
Kind regards,
Austin.
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 21:32   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin160 View Post
If the sensors are accurate and reliable, yet need calibrating at every oil change, how does one confirm the sensor is accurate if you don’t know whether it has indeed been calibrated at the last (DIY??) service?
Kind regards,
Austin.
The joys of having your car properly serviced to manufacturers specifications I guess. One person will put in a different volume of oil to another .... so it has to be told what is FULL every time the oil is changed... It is that accurate as to need this and correct oil level these days is critical , I spent a lot of time 5 years ago finding out that exactly 5 litres of 0w/20 VCC RBS0-2AE oil is half way between the allowable limits for filling , so if you do this and get the level gauge calibrated it should be ok when you put exactly 5 litres in at the next service ..
Old Nov 2nd, 2020, 21:52   #9
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin160 View Post
Kind regards,
Austin.
It'll sort itself out and give an accurate reading after 30km without the dealer reset. But obviously there'll be a short period where it can't be trusted and could well give inappropriate indications and warnings. Alternatively, at my last Volvo service they didn't put in enough oil but nevertheless performed the system reset, so the system read fine until the next day (≥30km travelled) when I was then disappointed to get a warning message to add 0.5L. I went back and complained and apparently the required oil volume (and e-dipstick display range, plus warning message thresholds) has been changed at least once via a software update during service time, hence why I may have got less than the current requirement of 5.2L (at least that was what they told me the requirement was back in February, it could have changed again!).
Old Nov 3rd, 2020, 09:12   #10
Austin160
Master Member

Thanks folks. So let’s try to boil this down to more specific meaningful information for the original poster:-
The average DIYer who changes their oil and filters themselves (and I guess there are quite a few on here) will not have the necessary equipment to carry out the ‘necessity’ oil level recalibration, but the dealer does, and will.
If neither the DIYer or the dealer carries out the recalibration then the system could give false readings for the first 35? miles (or whatever it was that was quoted).
Likely oil consumption within 35 miles ? - can reasonably ignore that?
System self calibrates after 35 miles so now we are back to placing reasonable trust in the sensored level - so probably the whole consideration of its accuracy influencing a believed high oil consumption can be forgetting about.
Kind regards,
Austin.