Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800ES Rear Upper Inner Panel 682818

Views : 2054

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2018, 09:26   #1
harpgirl

Default 1800ES Rear Upper Inner Panel 682818

Hi,
This is more for information than anything. The panel in the title is one that is rotten on a lot of motors. The vehicle I purchased had a homemade attempt to recreate it. Wasn't going to work.
There appeared to be a couple available sold by VP but without the light holes.
I contacted Simon at Brookhouse and they actually have the last genuine one (never to be sold) on loan from VP as a template. They had one made up for me with the light holes by the guy who makes their rear panels and it looks bob on. I will have to add my own drain holes but it makes sense to try and line the inner and outer panels up and then add the holes. The upshot of all this is that this previously obsolete part is now available again. I hope this is of use to someone else and I haven't broken any forum rules by posting this.
harpgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harpgirl For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2018, 13:16   #2
cassell
Member since 1988

Its a shame that so many of these ES rear panels have rotted out just because the two drain holes weren't kept clear.

I've always made a point of pushing a length of 30 amp cable down through mine and flushing them through with a gentle water jet each year, it's surprising how much dirt and debris collects in them.

Full marks to Simon for providing the means of acquiring replacement panels, and to you for saving another 1800ES.

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 10:34   #3
grahamwatson

Where exactly is this panel located?
grahamwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 17:33   #4
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamwatson View Post
Hi,

It is located on the inside lower edge of the glass hatch opening and carries the lock anchorage fitting and the leather cargo strap mountings. It's spot welded to the outer rear panel and the inner quarter panels and the welded joint flange is where the rubber weatherseal is fitted around the tailgate aperture.

Brookhouse Volvo's website shows a couple of pictures of the two repair panels:

https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...=A_Body_Panels

Drain holes must be incorporated at either side of the two-panel sandwich exactly as the factory built bodies were constructed, these in turn have a small metal tube welded under the panel and a flexible plastic or rubber pipe is pushed onto these tubes, exiting the body inside the rear valence. Water that collects in the aperture then drains away under the car.
Sadly, if allowed to become blocked by dirt, leaves, debris or inadvertently plugged by body filler or caulking during a bodge-restoration, the entire rear of the car along the lower hatch sill will just rot away.

As posted earlier, my ES's drain holes are clear, an annual poke through with some stiff electrical cable and a gentle watering from a garden hose is well worth the effort especially as the combined repair panels cost £1700 and welding them in is a pig of a job!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 11:18   #5
harpgirl

I wish you hadn't said it's a pig of a job. Taking a bit to get psyched up for it as it stands. Lots of smaller jobs in same area of car to get the welding practice in and fine tune the settings on my welder.
For info, Brookhouse encourage you to get the outer rear panel through their Ebay deal which is a huge chunk off the website price. Worth people knowing this as it is around a £500 saving. Is it okay to PM you Paul to answer some questions? Tidying up some other repairs around the rear floor before the back goes in. Do I dare post a picture to show the level of my bravery/foolhardiness?
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 12:02   #6
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpgirl View Post
... Do I dare post a picture to show the level of my bravery/foolhardiness?
Oh absolutely some of us here might be able to give a bit of advice (whether you want it or not!)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 13:57   #7
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
I wish you hadn't said it's a pig of a job. Taking a bit to get psyched up for it as it stands. Lots of smaller jobs in same area of car to get the welding practice in and fine tune the settings on my welder.
For info, Brookhouse encourage you to get the outer rear panel through their Ebay deal which is a huge chunk off the website price. Worth people knowing this as it is around a £500 saving. Is it okay to PM you Paul to answer some questions? Tidying up some other repairs around the rear floor before the back goes in. Do I dare post a picture to show the level of my bravery/foolhardiness?
Yes of course, however I think we may have already met on the VOC stand at the NEC in November as a visitor to the stand showed me some photos in his phone of a severe rear end 1800E rebuild!

I had my gold ES on the stand and met so many nice visitors it's difficult to remember everyone, but I do remember having a discussion about rear end panel alignment and dimensions with someone. Post some pictures on here as there are many other knowledgable 1800 experts whos brains can be picked!

Paul
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 11:27   #8
harpgirl

Hi Paul,
Yes we did meet at the NEC, I mentioned the injector servicing kit to you.
Just at tail end of repairing (adding right hand side piece and fixing bracings that side, similar on the left but at least I had the partially rotting one in place this side) the boot floor and ends of chassis legs. Got 1 metres of the chassis channel made up against an original offcut for £15, got to be better than me hammering one out.
Now my questions.
Are there any holes to be drilled in the right hand side (beyond wheel well) floor panel and if so where and for what?
I see 2 holes in the floor (within wheel well) one each side just aft of the drilled out spot welds for the rear balance. Are these likely to be the holes for the drain tubes?
I attach some photos for your sympathy, I have made a solid start and things are becoming more stable as I work.
Thanks,
Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181227_171315.jpg (169.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20181221_171921.jpg (139.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20181219_182239.jpg (213.4 KB, 27 views)
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 20:08   #9
harpgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamwatson View Post
Now I've repaired the two side portions of the floor with associated stays and the chassis legs I thought I'd lay the panel where it goes so you can see properly. I will do repairs to the tailgate surround before this goes on but it looks promising.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190123_174414.jpg (177.7 KB, 15 views)
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 20:49   #10
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Hi Paul,
Yes we did meet at the NEC, I mentioned the injector servicing kit to you.
Just at tail end of repairing (adding right hand side piece and fixing bracings that side, similar on the left but at least I had the partially rotting one in place this side) the boot floor and ends of chassis legs. Got 1 metres of the chassis channel made up against an original offcut for £15, got to be better than me hammering one out.
Now my questions.
Are there any holes to be drilled in the right hand side (beyond wheel well) floor panel and if so where and for what?
I see 2 holes in the floor (within wheel well) one each side just aft of the drilled out spot welds for the rear balance. Are these likely to be the holes for the drain tubes?
I attach some photos for your sympathy, I have made a solid start and things are becoming more stable as I work.
Thanks,
Ian
I thought it must have been you Ian, thanks for the injector overhaul kit info, I've bought one and it'll be my first job after the ES comes out of winter hibernation!

When I get chance I'll uncover my car from slumber and have a good look around the lower boot aperture and see what holes are apparent. I'll take some photos for you, particularly the route of the tailgate drain tubes, and the floor areas around the spare wheel well.

I'm impressed with your level of commitment to cutting, bracing and welding on your ES restoration, you are a braver man than me! I note that we're not that far from each other and would love to come and see your project some time in the future?

Paul