Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P2 t4, clutch differences?

Views : 474

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2019, 18:07   #1
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Default P2 t4, clutch differences?

Hi all, my 02 t4 is in having its replacement engine fitted, however, on stripping the old bits from the replacement engine, the garage have found that the clutch I supplied (which I bought for a very good price from someone on here, which was listed as for 00 - 04 t4) is not the same as the one that they've just taken off, the cover plate fingers on the new one sit higher than on the old one, and also the pressure plates splined hole is a good 3 or 4mm smaller on the new clutch than what's come off.

Did the t4 ever use the Renault gearbox as opposed to the Volvo one in my car (and presumably what was on the other engine) as that would explain it, the guy at the garage did say the clutch looked a bit like it could be a Renault one.

Once my old engine is out and gearbox removed then that will obviously answer the question as to whether everything is going to fit or not, but I'd rather avoid a headache at that point if it is wrong as it kind of puts his ramp out of action if my car's stuck on there all to bits with mis matched parts lol.

Anyone know?

Many thanks in advance
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 14:28   #2
LTEcactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
Hi all, my 02 t4 is in having its replacement engine fitted, however, on stripping the old bits from the replacement engine, the garage have found that the clutch I supplied (which I bought for a very good price from someone on here, which was listed as for 00 - 04 t4) is not the same as the one that they've just taken off, the cover plate fingers on the new one sit higher than on the old one, and also the pressure plates splined hole is a good 3 or 4mm smaller on the new clutch than what's come off.

Did the t4 ever use the Renault gearbox as opposed to the Volvo one in my car (and presumably what was on the other engine) as that would explain it, the guy at the garage did say the clutch looked a bit like it could be a Renault one.

Once my old engine is out and gearbox removed then that will obviously answer the question as to whether everything is going to fit or not, but I'd rather avoid a headache at that point if it is wrong as it kind of puts his ramp out of action if my car's stuck on there all to bits with mis matched parts lol.

Anyone know?

Many thanks in advance

I know some of the Diesel models used Renault engines, so maybe it is possible they used a Renault clutch and gearbox?
Do you know if your replacement clutch came from a Petrol or Diesel?
LTEcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 22:56   #3
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTEcactus View Post
I know some of the Diesel models used Renault engines, so maybe it is possible they used a Renault clutch and gearbox?
Do you know if your replacement clutch came from a Petrol or Diesel?
The new clutch was sold by a guy who was selling t4 parts, which would obviously be a 2l turbo petrol, I know phase 1 and phase 2 ones would be different clutches as the P1 is an 1855cc engine and loads of stuff is different between the phases, it was specifically sold as a phase 2 part though so should be right, my phase 1 non turbo petrol had the Renault gearbox, as do a lot of the phase 1s and the diesels too, but if the t4s use anything other than the Volvo box I didn't know about it, the garage guy is going to order a new clutch using my car's reg so that way he can see if it matches what I've supplied, he's a proper garage so can obviously return it, I just hope that this can be resolved somehow.
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 23:15   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

All turbos had the Volvo M56 gearbox. There was a slight difference between the boxes fitted in T4's and the 'bog standard' turbos but, I am not sure what those differences are.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 18:38   #5
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Right, spoke to the garage today, he's having a multitude of problems with this engine I've supplied him, he's stripped the engine out of the car and it's the same as the clutch on the replacement engine, which means the new clutch i supplied is wrong, and any of the ones he's ordered from motor factors are also wrong, my car needs a friction plate with a 26mm shaft hole, everything else is 20mm, he can get one through Volvo but it's over 200 pounds.

Also, the new engine isn't timed up correctly, he's ready to fit the new belt to it but thought he'd put a spanner on it as is, and it won't turn over, the reason for this is because to set the timing on these you apparently need the plastic cover because that has the marks on, however the one that came with the engine doesn't fit it, and my current engine doesn't have one as it's missing, slightly concerning as without that neither me or the garage know of a way to accurately time it up.

Also, he's found a number of bolts either missing or loose on the engine I got, plus one of the cam pulleys doesn't even have an oil seal behind it, it's not been fitted, he's going to have to take the vvt side apart and make sure that one isn't missing as well, although with all these things not going right I'm beginning to doubt that this is even a b4204t5 as the guy I bought it from says, what a nightmare this is turning out to be
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 23:34   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Right, spoke to the garage today, he's having a multitude of problems with this engine I've supplied him, he's stripped the engine out of the car and it's the same as the clutch on the replacement engine, which means the new clutch i supplied is wrong, and any of the ones he's ordered from motor factors are also wrong, my car needs a friction plate with a 26mm shaft hole, everything else is 20mm, he can get one through Volvo but it's over 200 pounds.

Also, the new engine isn't timed up correctly, he's ready to fit the new belt to it but thought he'd put a spanner on it as is, and it won't turn over, the reason for this is because to set the timing on these you apparently need the plastic cover because that has the marks on, however the one that came with the engine doesn't fit it, and my current engine doesn't have one as it's missing, slightly concerning as without that neither me or the garage know of a way to accurately time it up.

Also, he's found a number of bolts either missing or loose on the engine I got, plus one of the cam pulleys doesn't even have an oil seal behind it, it's not been fitted, he's going to have to take the vvt side apart and make sure that one isn't missing as well, although with all these things not going right I'm beginning to doubt that this is even a b4204t5 as the guy I bought it from says, what a nightmare this is turning out to be
You don't need the plastic cover to time the engine.

Set the crank to the timing marks and lock the cams at the opposite end to the belt. It does need the cam sensor removing and the blanking plate on the cams to locate the slots in the end of the cams. The slots are slightly offset, but need to line up.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 14:41   #7
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
You don't need the plastic cover to time the engine.

Set the crank to the timing marks and lock the cams at the opposite end to the belt. It does need the cam sensor removing and the blanking plate on the cams to locate the slots in the end of the cams. The slots are slightly offset, but need to line up.
That's handy to know, thanks, I'll pass that information on.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 17:00   #8
960kg
Premier Member

Depending what year you are 2002/03 were 21 splines on the gearbox output shaft which the clutch plate has to match.

After 2003 the splines were 23.

Best to have the engine number rather than the Reg number when ordering the parts?

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 17:06   #9
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
That's handy to know, thanks, I'll pass that information on.
I can't remember which way the offset needs to be - above or below the centre line of the cams. In effect it is possible to have the cams 180 degrees out and the slots still line up. When setting the cams just make sure the timing dots on the two sprockets are at the 12 o clock position when the slots are lined up.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 17:59   #10
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
Depending what year you are 2002/03 were 21 splines on the gearbox output shaft which the clutch plate has to match.

After 2003 the splines were 23.

Best to have the engine number rather than the Reg number when ordering the parts?
The car the engine is going into is an 02, the car the engine came out of is unknown year wise, all I know is it's P2 as it's a b4204t5, although from your spline information I'm now starting to think mine must have had a later box fitted for some reason as it has a 26mm input shaft, which matches the replacement engine and obviously the one that's just come out, ordering from Volvo directly using details from my car resulted in the wrong part too, there was some tape measuring done and the clutch in stock was the smaller 20mm shaft one, the correct one is now on order directly from sweden, I also found that the timing covers are the same between turbo and non turbo engines cars so I just took the one off the 2.0 SE.