Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New owner - cambelt advice required

Views : 1182

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2019, 12:31   #1
wesacosa

Default New owner - cambelt advice required

Hi All
Long time Volvo fan but picked up my first one yesterday, a 2001 V40 2.0 Petrol Auto
All good so far but seems like the cambelt was last changed in 2010 (although that was only 20k ago)

Been doing as lot of internet trawling about cambelt changes but seems like there are 142 or 148 teeth belts available without any clear info on which one I would need. Is there any way to tell without physically counting?
Also any recommendations of where to buy parts? A few old posts recommend FLF Volvo online but these don't seem to be around anymore. Would prefer not to have to buy from Volvo dealer as it will cost more than I paid for the car but want a decent brand and not an eBay special
Cheers
Wes
wesacosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 14:38   #2
drone

I bought a kit from amazon, I think it was a run out, cost £33 with free postage, it was either SKF or another major brand, the bearings were the same make as those installed as was the tensioner. It's done 12000 miles in the 2 years since then.
Keep looking on the net or, if all else fails, buy from sc motor factors or eurocarparts which always discount the price though you will be remarkably lucky to get one for the price I did.
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 15:15   #3
drone

Sorry, got it wrong. It was £30 and it's a Hella brand one. It had a contitech belt, toyo bearings/tensioner, oe water pump.
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 22:08   #4
Dippydog
Premier Member

Contitech or INA are good brands to look out for.By and large[ime]the belts these days seem to last a lot better than in times past,it's more the tensioners/rollers that give the problems which then wrecks the belt,the makes mentioned above generally have SKF bearings in their kits.Are you sure it's not FRF Swansea you were thinking of and not FLF as you state a this could explain why you can't find them?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 22:30   #5
wesacosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Contitech or INA are good brands to look out for.By and large[ime]the belts these days seem to last a lot better than in times past,it's more the tensioners/rollers that give the problems which then wrecks the belt,the makes mentioned above generally have SKF bearings in their kits.Are you sure it's not FRF Swansea you were thinking of and not FLF as you state a this could explain why you can't find them?
yes you are correct it was FRF, but still doesn't seem to have the online parts anymore. I think I will just try and get a named brand from a decent supplier, one of the ones mentioned in the threads

Hopefully its not beyond the home mechanic. The write-ups I have seen so far suggest no special tools needed
thanks
Wes
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 22:32   #6
wesacosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by drone View Post
Sorry, got it wrong. It was £30 and it's a Hella brand one. It had a contitech belt, toyo bearings/tensioner, oe water pump.
yeah I think you struck lucky there!
By any chance do you recall if it was 142 or 148 teeth?
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 21:53   #7
magnuz
Ancient

The top part of the cam cover should come off fairly easy.. you may be able to still see the part number on the belt if you can rotate the engine by hand. The supplier should be able to cross reference any part numbers ?

No special tools are needed, & you don't even need to remove the crank pulley, as there is enough clearance to get it past, by carefully twisting the belt & feeding it in, after you've removed the plastic bottom shield.
It's also probably a good idea to put extra marks on the pulleys before you start ?

You can also check the water pump for play,roughness, leaks, etc, but if it's the original volvo pump. it's unlikely to need replacing as they are excellent quality ?

Last edited by magnuz; Dec 31st, 2019 at 21:58.
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 22:11   #8
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

I used FRF Volvo Swansea in the last 12 months.

I don't know whether the phone numbers are still current but the post is here.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=368

Just give them a ring, very helpful.

You are looking for Simon.

Last edited by bobthecabbage; Dec 31st, 2019 at 22:17.
bobthecabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 23:00   #9
wesacosa

thanks all for the help. Will take a look at the various options suggested and give it a go!!
Cheers
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 08:18   #10
emtor

Front engine mount needs to be removed, so be prepared to clean up the threads before re-installing the bolts. I could not get mine back in without the help of a tap and die.
emtor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtor For This Useful Post: