Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 b230ft random engine stalling

Views : 938

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2020, 14:00   #11
Jelle9990

The cps is ordered too! I let you know what the problem was when the parts arrive 😉
Jelle9990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jelle9990 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 16:28   #12
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

I bet the CPS too
Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 23:23   #13
Jelle9990

It was the ignition amplifier, thanks for the help👍🏻
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 00:56   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelle9990 View Post
It was the ignition amplifier, thanks for the help👍🏻
Unusual behaviour for an ignition module, usually they do one of two things, either fail catastophically and the first time they stop is the last. The other is they get hot and cause misfires but keep going. If you switch off, give them 10 minutes to cool down, they then keep going for another while but usually you can put a time on how long they run before playing up.

Yours seems to have broken the rules somewhat in that it just plain cuts out after a variable amount of time then will restart once it's cooled down.

I hope you cleaned the heatsink on the inner wing with a solvent cleaner and buffed it up then applied heatsink compound to the back of the new module before fitting it?
Worth cleaning off every 3-4 years with a solvent cleaner and applying fresh as it dries out over time and loses its heat transfer ability.

Glad it seems you're sorted anyway!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 08:46   #15
Jelle9990

Well... first I changed the cps and the fuel filter at my mates garage, took it for a test run and couldn’t get it to die so I thought it was fixed! Then I took the car to my dads place and it died out on me in the worst place possible... It wouldn’t start for at least 5 mins! It started up sometimes but misfires like crazy and dies out again and again and again then I could keep it going down the road(still misfiring) where it died again.
Popped the hood checked if anything was popped of and pressed on a few hoses, nothing, saw that the fuel Was dripping from the fuel filter.. started the car and it drove fine afterwards, ate at my dad, drove back to my mate, fixed fuel filter, changed ignition module. It has been running like a dream since.

Laird Scooby: I don’t know what solvent cleaner is, I’ve tried googling it and it didn’t help, I did use some very fine sandpaper and brake cleaner? I don’t know what heat sink compound is but that I could find on google and I’ll try and order that 😊👍🏻
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 09:43   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That fits the failure pattern much better.

Brake cleaner is solvent cleaner - perhaps i should have really said solvent based cleaner for accuracy. You will need to polish the heatsink with metal polish to ensure it is as smooth as possible, sandpaper is abrasive and leaves scratches which reduce the contact area.

Once you have polished it so it's smooth, use some of something like this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25g-TUBE-...d/143493571957

There are many variations on the idea, as long as it does what is needed, that's the main thing. I'm fairly sure you could get it cheaper in Denmark than buying it from the UK and having it sent to you.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 12:49   #17
TonyS9
Premier Member

All we needed was a fuel pump power light to diagnose this. (or narrow down significantly).

I was a bit worried relying on the pop to assume that the pump+injectors where on. but glad to see the basic process worked.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dies, stall, stalling, wont start