Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 70287

Replies : 1328

Users Viewing This Thread : The Thong

Old Apr 21st, 2024, 09:20   #1231
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Judge Dredd being an extremely negative sociopolitical statement ... yes, it's pretty relevant that SUV's look like something out of Judge Dredd.
Turns out, you can buy them…..

https://www.landrovercentre.com/product/npk63p/
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 19:40   #1232
The Thong
VOC Member

For anyone with Instagram (has a Volvo in it too and it’s topical)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6Bph...k0enJoOWI0MQ==

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 19:50   #1233
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Turns out, you can buy them…..

https://www.landrovercentre.com/product/npk63p/
Quite a rarity that one. I had a friend at the time who was a Landrover devotee, club member etc. and they were all said to be destroyed, the ad implies two were kept for publicity purposes.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 20:23   #1234
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Quite a rarity that one. I had a friend at the time who was a Landrover devotee, club member etc. and they were all said to be destroyed, the ad implies two were kept for publicity purposes.
I believe that’s true. There’s one at the Gaydon Motor Museum if memory serves

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 20:50   #1235
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
I believe that’s true. There’s one at the Gaydon Motor Museum if memory serves

TT
Certainly used to be.
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 11:17   #1236
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
And I completely agree. As I said in an earlier, a more linear approach should have been taken. There’s no way on this earth you’d realistically install a reliable infrastructure in the original 2030 cut off date and 2035 is pushing it. All this self driving electric car dream has gone quiet too. Far too many blue sky promises to try and grab votes. All they’ve managed to do is turn people off the idea.

@andy_g, I agree too. Milk delivery vehicles (they not floats as we remember them) should be electric as should be any round robin motors hat bobble around the locality. Some of those Smokey old Merc’s and Transits are a bigger contributor to localised pollution. If you could just cut back on smokey old heaps that deliver pizzas, parcels etc etc, that would be a start. Ł50k delivery van? Really? Very very few places to get it fixed and so on… it’ll never happen mate. Until some level of sensibility is achieved, it’ll never gain traction.
If you could design a battery that took 15 mins to charge and give you a sensible range, they’d sell like hot cakes. Until such a time lands, nothing will happen.

TT
I think 2035 is a pipe dream too. Given that manufacturers are stopping producing EV's due to declining sales and spiraling production costs, its going to take a drastic move in the market for people to actually see that EV is the way forward. What needs to happen for that to take place is EV's need to be more affordable, range has to improve and infrastructure needs major investment.

If there's not enough fuel stations, ICE cars are no good - The same applies to EV's. If there's not enough places to charge them (which there isn't) and the range isn't good enough, plus people can't afford to buy them in the first place... it doesn't take a genius to work out the real issues. Government's are pushing the green agenda, but people ain't buying it.

I simply cannot see how this country will be ready for EV's by 2035, which is when the sale of new petrol and diesel's are banned. Yes, you'll still be able to go out and buy a used diesel or petrol in 2035 according to Sunak. I think that's a bit of a hint that the change from ICE to EV's by 2035 is a pipe dream and he knows it.

I think 2035 just isn't enough time, regardless of what Sunak says. He won't care, he'll be out of office long before then anyway. In the meantime, more manufacturers will stop making EV's. They will produce what sells and what makes them money, otherwise they go out of business.

There's a future for electric, but its 20-25 years down the line minimum in my opinion. Although, maybe there isn't a future for it. Maybe hydrogen is the way forward and EV's will be a thing of the past. Only time will tell.

Trump wants to halt the EV push. If he wins the election and is actually successful in the rollback, the world will follow. Then 2035 is definitely a pipe dream.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 22nd, 2024 at 11:30.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 12:38   #1237
Whippy
Premier Member

Part of the problem here is lack of realism on the part of government which runs through all of the future planning on the table at the moment. Take farming, a report has just been published that say that by 2030 farming will account for 50% of Britain's greenhouse emissions, but that figure is predicated on everything else happening, ie, everyone driving milk floats and be carbonisation of industry and energy production. Ain't gonna happen.

So,what's the answer? Well apparently, we have to alter our diets, go vegan. The vegan market has fallen off the edge because people can't afford the price asked. So that won't happen. Take land out of production is apparently another solution, but with farmers already turning to stewardship schemes food production is already sliding down and at the same time farmers are being told that we need to ensure food security. Mad!!

The Plan, long doc I'm afraid but worth the read. Oh, and at no point does it take into account our massive population growth.
https://www.nationalfoodstrategy.org..._S12_New-1.pdf

Last edited by Whippy; Apr 22nd, 2024 at 12:47.
Whippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 16:45   #1238
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I think 2035 is a pipe dream too. Given that manufacturers are stopping producing EV's due to declining sales and spiraling production costs, its going to take a drastic move in the market for people to actually see that EV is the way forward. What needs to happen for that to take place is EV's need to be more affordable, range has to improve and infrastructure needs major investment.

If there's not enough fuel stations, ICE cars are no good - The same applies to EV's. If there's not enough places to charge them (which there isn't) and the range isn't good enough, plus people can't afford to buy them in the first place... it doesn't take a genius to work out the real issues. Government's are pushing the green agenda, but people ain't buying it.

I simply cannot see how this country will be ready for EV's by 2035, which is when the sale of new petrol and diesel's are banned. Yes, you'll still be able to go out and buy a used diesel or petrol in 2035 according to Sunak. I think that's a bit of a hint that the change from ICE to EV's by 2035 is a pipe dream and he knows it.

I think 2035 just isn't enough time, regardless of what Sunak says. He won't care, he'll be out of office long before then anyway. In the meantime, more manufacturers will stop making EV's. They will produce what sells and what makes them money, otherwise they go out of business.

There's a future for electric, but it’s 20-25 years down the line minimum in my opinion. Although, maybe there isn't a future for it. Maybe hydrogen is the way forward and EV's will be a thing of the past. Only time will tell.

Trump wants to halt the EV push. If he wins the election and is actually successful in the rollback, the world will follow. Then 2035 is definitely a pipe dream.
And yet Norway is making a success of it. One of the coldest, wet countries with lots of remote areas and EV’s are selling like hot cakes. Why? They’ve taken a sensible approach which benefits not only the government but the users too. Put in a winners all round solution in the mix and there’s a good chance it’ll work.

https://alternative-fuels-observator...inable-example

Anyone seen that Mguy chap on Instagram? He’s very very anti-EV and preaches daily on social media.

https://youtu.be/iE8AmkQRhlg?si=N46ycbVjGFP09dbZ

Wonder who he’s being funded by?

TT

Last edited by The Thong; Apr 22nd, 2024 at 17:54.
The Thong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 18:43   #1239
Whippy
Premier Member

Sabine sums it up.

https://youtu.be/zX2n2-acksw?si=vuusnBbC3o_rLohy
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 19:33   #1240
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Did I read somewhere that the older batteries don't do well with modern, quicker smart chargers? And that consequently there's now a market for second-hand batteries for domestic use?

If so, there must be a load of empty EV shells somewhere. Let's hoard them along with a barn full of smoky old Astramax diesel engines.

Hang on - I've got an idea ...

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post: