Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Facelift and engines announced plus 6 seat XC90!

Views : 6413

Replies : 89

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2019, 22:22   #81
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
It is possible to sell less products and have the better product...sales volumes don't in themselves mean they are better products. Admittedly I think the general population see Audi as a premium brand, and while I consider Volvo to be in the same league, I'm sure there are many people who have never ventured into a Volvo before.
Rolls Royce and Bentley come to mind.
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 22:53   #82
Emarcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
Rolls Royce and Bentley come to mind.
Yeah but we are talking about Volvo and Audi, they are direct competitors.
Emarcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 23:16   #83
Ringthane
VOC Member

Originally Posted by anotherv60
It is possible to sell less products and have the better product...sales volumes don't in themselves mean they are better products. Admittedly I think the general population see Audi as a premium brand, and while I consider Volvo to be in the same league, I'm sure there are many people who have never ventured into a Volvo before.

Lets hope it stays that way.

When every car on my street is either an Audi or a Mercedes, I quite like the fact that I’m driving something every bit as good, if not better, but more importantly, not an Audi.

Last edited by Ringthane; Feb 25th, 2019 at 23:26.
Ringthane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ringthane For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 08:01   #84
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emarcon View Post
The point is Audi sell more cars becasuse they make better products
I'm not gonna argue your highly subjective opinion. I have swedespeed for that

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 12:19   #85
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emarcon View Post
The point is Audi sell more cars becasuse they make better products, but who cares about that?
They did. Past. They fell off the wagon in 2015.
Emission scandals, their products dont seem to innovate a lot both in design and in active technology. If you get yourself dazzled by the colorful dashboard and fancy animations then yes Audi is suberb.

In terms of active safety features, I dont see Audi innovating in anything. They copy it, yes but innovate? no.

Now they gave a big step with the Audi e-tron but still there is no major design advancements in Audi.
With rare exceptions like the Q2, all the cars look basically the same. All the cars look basically the same as their previous generation, Ex Q5. It's soooo boring. So why do you chose an Audi?

-Fun to drive? maybe but BMW much more fun to drive so Audi is not king in this department.
So what else?

-Durability? Maybe, Mercedes is the king in this department. My Audi A3 from 2007 still feels brand new but in terms of resale price? the same as any other car of this segment except if you compare it with a Mercedes so no advantage here.

What else?
-internal comfort? naaah that goes to Volvo.
-Security? Volvo
-Mileage? Mercedes
-Customer service? by far, in another galaxy Mercedes and Volvo. Audi is like way out of their league in terms of customer service.

So what else?

-Status? According to the main masses that belongs to BMW and Mercedes not Audi.

So what other arguments are there to say that Audi makes better products than Volvo? 0

Volvo makes better some things, Audi others. Audi superior to Volvo in all the aspects? not in a million years.
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 13:10   #86
Quacker
Premier Member

Not sure why this bother anyone. I just buy the car that suits me at the time and for what purpose. Just as happy to buy a Fiat as a Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Nissan, Toyota, Isuzu, Subaru, Ford, Mitsubishi, Volkswagen, Land and Range Rover, Jaguar, Vauxhall. All of them make perfectly good vehicles that meet all safety requirements of their time. Some innovate more than others but the others always soon catch up.
I've owned all those brands, some of them in several models at the same time and/or spread out over the years and I've been happy with all of them apart from a BMW and a MG, the MG going back to 1984.

The badge on the front does not mean a thing to me. It's what a car does and how and whether its style pleases my eye that matters [to me]. I was as happy driving around locally in the Fiat Panda as I was in the Range Rovers. As happy in the 20 year old Toyota as in my current Volvo [apart from the fuel consumption and lack of performance] I love the diversity in the way these things drive and in the conditions for which they are best suited.

The same applies to my hobby, which is photography. I am not wedded to a brand or system or sensor size and have cameras from Nikon, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus, plus a Fuji and Apple phone. Love them all, with all their respective limitations and characteristics. One innovates one week then another innovates the next.
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 13:11   #87
Deman77
Master Member

Sorry to intrude. Does anyone have experience with kers boosted engines we will see in facelifted cars? Could it finally be electric like low speed smoothness and pick up without the huge weight penalty and lifeless breaks of T8?
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 17:56   #88
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Sorry to intrude. Does anyone have experience with kers boosted engines we will see in facelifted cars? Could it finally be electric like low speed smoothness and pick up without the huge weight penalty and lifeless breaks of T8?
I just don’t get the criticism of the T8 brakes in the media and sometimes on this forum.

For starters in normal ‘non urgent’ use I only use the brake pedal to pull to a final stop - ‘B’ does everything I need.

Aside from that I can’t say I’ve ever noticed any lack of feel or progressiveness in the brake pedal, when required it stops beautifully...I know I’m kind to brakes, so maybe the issue is for the on-off-jab-the-brakes driver!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 22:43   #89
Deman77
Master Member

I’ve had two generations of Priuses and an i3 now - all with regent breaks - i3 I can drive like a sports car under 50 without ever touching breaks, but when you miss breaking point or something unexpected causes for actual break input it’s always disconcerting and you notice the breaks are not quite right. I really notice properly weighted progressive breaks when I get into my D5.
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 23:12   #90
anotherv60
Master Member

Some insights into the future full EVs launching from Volvo here from the polestar 2 launch video, think apple / Tesla product launch!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kVg5ycWTAhQ

I am so tempted to order one of these!