Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Full Sized Dipstick

Views : 6534

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2018, 19:44   #1
green van man
Premier Member

Default D5 Full Sized Dipstick

Acting on information on this forum I ordered the kit of parts to replace my technicians dipstick with a full sized one.
The kit was.
Volvo part number.
985133 Bolt M7x20. £1.35
31316562 Dipstick. £23.80
31375301 Tube £23.80
30637865 O Ring. £2.70

All prices + VAT.

My D5 is a MY10 P3 of 175 bhp output.

Just above and to the right of the technicians dip stick there is a tapped boss, had I had an M7 tap I would of run it down the threads to clear the corrosion. As it's about the only size I do not have I cleared the hole with a small screwdriver, gave it a good squirt of wd40 to remove any muck and gently screwed the bolt in to clear the thread.

Removed technicians dipstick and noted oil level at 3/4 up the marked area.
Fit O ring to tube and fit into hole, there is a bracket on the tube which aligns with the M7 hole.
Fit M7 bolt and screw it up. An M10 3/8 drive socket and ratchet makes life easy. Fully tighten and fit the dipstick.

Note the new dipstick seems to of been recalibrated as the same oil level now reads as full on the new dipstick.

All told job took 3/4 of an hour, it's a bit of a fiddle as you are largely working by feel but can all be done from the top. Only bit to be cautious about is the sensor wires that pass close to the dipstick, take care not to damage them fitting the tube or tightening the bolt.

Hope this info of help to others.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 21:01   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Bumped as I don't know how to link to a post.

Paul.
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 13:24   #3
FIBAMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Acting on information on this forum I ordered the kit of parts to replace my technicians dipstick with a full sized one.
The kit was.
Volvo part number.
985133 Bolt M7x20. £1.35
31316562 Dipstick. £23.80
31375301 Tube £23.80
30637865 O Ring. £2.70

All prices + VAT.

My D5 is a MY10 P3 of 175 bhp output.

Just above and to the right of the technicians dip stick there is a tapped boss, had I had an M7 tap I would of run it down the threads to clear the corrosion. As it's about the only size I do not have I cleared the hole with a small screwdriver, gave it a good squirt of wd40 to remove any muck and gently screwed the bolt in to clear the thread.

Removed technicians dipstick and noted oil level at 3/4 up the marked area.
Fit O ring to tube and fit into hole, there is a bracket on the tube which aligns with the M7 hole.
Fit M7 bolt and screw it up. An M10 3/8 drive socket and ratchet makes life easy. Fully tighten and fit the dipstick.

Note the new dipstick seems to of been recalibrated as the same oil level now reads as full on the new dipstick.

All told job took 3/4 of an hour, it's a bit of a fiddle as you are largely working by feel but can all be done from the top. Only bit to be cautious about is the sensor wires that pass close to the dipstick, take care not to damage them fitting the tube or tightening the bolt.

Hope this info of help to others.

Paul.
where did you buy your parts from.
I have sent two enquiries to ELK, had one of them acknowledged then absolutely nothing, its now 10 days since first enq. so will go elsewhere
FIBAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 17:31   #4
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIBAMAN View Post
I have sent two enquiries to ELK, had one of them acknowledged then absolutely nothing, its now 10 days since first enq. so will go elsewhere
Local Volvo dealer.

Paul.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 13:18   #5
morris 10

Does anybody know if these parts will fit a 2014 D3 engine the block of which features a tapped hole as described in the original post of the thread?

Volvo Parts Shop were unable to confirm if they would fit the D3 but offered to supply them for £60.39 including VAT and delivery which seems reasonable as a way of avoiding the hassle of reaching the technician's dipstick.

Having never had a service at Volvo independents on a previous 2.4D where the sump has not been overfilled a better dipstick arrangement would be a major benefit.

I suspect the problem with the "we put back exactly the same volume as we took out sir" is in not allowing for the new oil being cold but when heated to the temperature of the old having a significantly greater volume!
morris 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 18:26   #6
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris 10 View Post
Does anybody know if these parts will fit a 2014 D3 engine the block of which features a tapped hole as described in the original post of the thread?

Volvo Parts Shop were unable to confirm if they would fit the D3 but offered to supply them for £60.39 including VAT and delivery which seems reasonable as a way of avoiding the hassle of reaching the technician's dipstick.

Having never had a service at Volvo independents on a previous 2.4D where the sump has not been overfilled a better dipstick arrangement would be a major benefit.

I suspect the problem with the "we put back exactly the same volume as we took out sir" is in not allowing for the new oil being cold but when heated to the temperature of the old having a significantly greater volume!
If it's the 5 cylinder lump with the technicians dip stick I would expect it to. Make a note of the oil level as shown on the technicians dipstick and compare when the full sized one is fitted. Provided you are aware of any difference between them you know how to compensate for the new dip stick.

A dealer could possibly confirm, my dealer was not sure there was a kit until I supplied the part numbers.

Paul.
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 17:03   #7
JonnyA

Having had a stressful time with the electronic gauge a couple of weeks ago I made this mod to mine last week, i recalled the posts (but couldn't find them).
so had a chat to my local volvo indy and he sorted the parts for me.
As said above easy to do but a bit fiddlely to access.
I do like to be able to see the oil occasionally, so quick thanks to Paul and others on the forum for the info on this.
ex - 1999 V40 2.0SE
ex - 1988 740 GL estate, before that a 340 GL
JonnyA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonnyA For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 02:33   #8
mhon72
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIBAMAN View Post
Try Mike at FRF on the Traders Page.
Ashok at Elk is unfortunately tied up with his proper job as a doctor so not always able to respond in a timely fashion.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 16:27   #9
100K+
Premier Member

Think I have read somewhere that the parts are the bits that are fitted to police spec D5's.

I recently have done a service on my D5. I found the techy dipstick along while ago, but have never been able to get the thing out. On this last service I re-visited trying to get it out - even fitted a couple of stubby screw drivers to the "legs" on the TD just to be 100% sure they were not stopping the TD being withdrawn.
I wrapped thick cord through the plastic loop several times so I could give a good pull. - Nadda - Zilch - Nothing...except the car raised up on the suspension. It can't be that tight can it? If I lifted any harder the plastic loop in the TD would have snapped. I took precautions by wrapping the cord several times around the loop so the loop would not be point loaded.

I ask cos several peps had done this mod, which means they have removed the TD.

Wot am I not doing, or doing wrong.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 19:21   #10
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Think I have read somewhere that the parts are the bits that are fitted to police spec D5's.

I recently have done a service on my D5. I found the techy dipstick along while ago, but have never been able to get the thing out. On this last service I re-visited trying to get it out - even fitted a couple of stubby screw drivers to the "legs" on the TD just to be 100% sure they were not stopping the TD being withdrawn.
I wrapped thick cord through the plastic loop several times so I could give a good pull. - Nadda - Zilch - Nothing...except the car raised up on the suspension. It can't be that tight can it? If I lifted any harder the plastic loop in the TD would have snapped. I took precautions by wrapping the cord several times around the loop so the loop would not be point loaded.

I ask cos several peps had done this mod, which means they have removed the TD.

Wot am I not doing, or doing wrong.

Cheers
Bob
Doing nothing wrong it's just stuck. It pulls out vertically and is sealed with an O ring.
Once out the full sized one pushes in and is again sealed with an O ring..

There is nothing but the O ring keeping the technicians dipstick in, can you try twisting it to break the seal before pulling? A lot of garages do not use the Technitians dip stick as they fill with a measured amount. A lot of owners don't even know it's there as they use the dash gauge. Some penetrating oil and an adjustable spanner would be my next move.

Paul.
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: