Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where is the location of the engine number

Views : 355

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2019, 18:30   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default Where is the location of the engine number

Simple query really. Anyone know where I can find the engine number on a 2015 V70 D5 Manual.
Need it to make sense of VIDA's (2014D) data on type of tensioner fitted to the aux belt - ( mechanical to engine number 884797 : hydraulic for engines 884798 - 1046801 and then mechanical again from engine 1046802.

The really odd thing is the specified service intervals for each type has two intervals the longest being 10 years max, the shortest (earliest mechanical) 2years)

Confusingly,I thought the last few digits of the VIN were the engine number.- WRONG lol

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 19:33   #2
BilboBagginss

Should be on your V5 (logbook)!
BilboBagginss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BilboBagginss For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 19:51   #3
V70d5peter

On a paper sticker on the cam belt cover and also I,m told on the engine block behind the first pot although I couldn't,t find it.😉
V70d5peter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V70d5peter For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 01:47   #4
Volvofreak2

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70d5peter View Post
On a paper sticker on the cam belt cover and also I,m told on the engine block behind the first pot although I couldn't,t find it.😉
Hej,

and you won´t find it, without engine removed from the car, because you can´t look at it, with engine in the car. That is just So better take good care of the sticker!

Hej Hej Gernot

current: V70 I, B5254T MY99, TME exhaustpipe, 850 R MY96, 850 GLT 20V B5254S, Mj 94 previous: V70 I, B5252S, V70 I, B5254S2, killed by a parcel service driver
Volvofreak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvofreak2 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 08:03   #5
green van man
Premier Member

I had thought they had all been changed to the last one as they were changed in service or on recall.

This is the volvo saga of 3 goes and still not right. Original design found to fail, redesigned, new design found to fail redesigned again. Still a sort of job.

My book tells me auxiliary belt every 5 years or 54,000 miles. My car doesnot do the 54k in 5 years so the belt AND tensioner gets changed on time.

Given the possible damage to the engine in the event of failier it's not something I neglect or would run to the last possible moment. The tensioner is the achillies heel of the engine and only the 3rd attempt at designing a serviceable item by volvo should be used to replace whatever is there as the others have proven unreliable, no matter the age or number of the engine.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 11:17   #6
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I had thought they had all been changed to the last one as they were changed in service or on recall.

This is the volvo saga of 3 goes and still not right. Original design found to fail, redesigned, new design found to fail redesigned again. Still a sort of job.

My book tells me auxiliary belt every 5 years or 54,000 miles. My car doesnot do the 54k in 5 years so the belt AND tensioner gets changed on time.

Given the possible damage to the engine in the event of failier it's not something I neglect or would run to the last possible moment. The tensioner is the achillies heel of the engine and only the 3rd attempt at designing a serviceable item by volvo should be used to replace whatever is there as the others have proven unreliable, no matter the age or number of the engine.

Paul.
Bilbo was spot on re the log book. 30yrs ago I would have remembered that.
Take your point re keeping the tensioner/belt serviced.
2 points:-
Have now read Volvo had a perfectly good tensioner system on the 850, but tried (Ford???) to redesign it - and failed.
Why does VIDA give conflicting advice; a service interval but then say to the effect you can leave it for 10 years.

While reading up on this, I read the "belts" incl cam belt are not part of the "normal" service schedule and have to be requested by the customer as "extras", and paid for as such..

What ever next, "Thank you Mr Smith your agreed service plan price comes to one pound, the extras incl filters, oil, labour and VAT is £500????

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 12:32   #7
V70d5peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post

Paul.
I heard somewhere that the tensioner was a Ford part can't be sure though.
V70d5peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 19:27   #8
green van man
Premier Member

It was redesigned for the P3 cars as the original would not fit the Mondeo body shell.
Yep blame ford, most of the parts I've changed on mine had FO MO CO on them. Wouldn't mind so much if volvo didn't try to rip us off with volvo prices for Ford bits.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: