Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sad day for me and my Volvo

Views : 635

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 14:05   #1
Srosenberg

Default Sad day for me and my Volvo

Hi all. Just after some advice. This week, the cam belt went on my 2008 v50d. Its basically ruined the engine and I have been quoted £1700 for full repair as it’s damaged all the pistons etc.

My other half and I are saving for a house deposit and have decided to run with just one car so will not be getting it repaired. I love my Volvo and yes it’s my own stupid fault for not getting the belt done sooner but that’s life I guess.

I have never sold a car that is a non runner so wondered what the best way to do it is...I’m assuming eBay. Wouldn’t event know where to start on a price to be honest. The rest of th car is great. It’s an SE lux so all the the trimmings and recently serviced.

What advice could anyone give on how to make he most of selling a non runner.

Thanks so much.

Simon
Srosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 14:37   #2
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Sorry for your loss

Either break it for parts on here/other forums then weigh in the chassis or sell it as a whole for spares/repairs.

If you can't be bothered to break it for parts, then I'd stick it on eBay with a 99p starting price and just see what you get for it.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 14:43   #3
Srosenberg

Hiya. Thanks for the reply. Guessed eBay would be the one to aim for. Wasn’t sure if anyone perhaps had some knowledge of local Volvo breakers that would like it. I won’t have the time or the tools to break as spares so will give eBay a go I guess unless something else materialises.

Many thanks.
Simon.
Srosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 09:18   #4
marc
VOC Member

Is that quote for a replacement engine? If not, have you looked in to how much you can get one from a breakers for?

I may be a little out of touch, but £1700 sounds quite steep.

C30 D5 SE Lux with added Polestar!!

C30CREW.COM
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 09:41   #5
Dippydog
Premier Member

If you can come up with a price that's acceptable to you then Gumtree is free,there's also farcebook etc. if you do the "social media" thing.If putting it on e-bay I'd put the staring bid at what you'd get for it if weighing it in for scrap[£150'ish depending on scrap price at the time?].
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 14:21   #6
domhart10
Volvo S40

If you are saving for a house and down to one car personally I wouldnt sell it as you wont see anything from that which will be a waste. Keep the car off road and keep an eye out for cheap engines going and get a garage to do it for a lot cheaper then that. Then you will atleast have a second car back or be able to sell the car for more as a running car. Selling as scrap you wont really see anything.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2019, 10:09   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I would put it on e-bay with as many good pics as you can as "spares repairs". Make sure you stipulate it needs to be removed by trailer or recovery and you won't accept bids from peolpe with >10 feebacks or negative...

I wouldn't put it on facebonk or gumtree as there is no feedback or tractability with them and it exposes you to every kn*bhead in the country.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote