Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Wheel Options please

Views : 1414

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2012, 16:54   #1
doxxie

Question Spare Wheel Options please

Hi

My 55 plate V50 SE Sport has 18" wheels and the awful space saver spare. Does anyone know if I can fit a 'full size' 16" wheel in the spare well? I can't see me towing with a space saver and the 18" alloys aren't going to fit.

Many thanks
doxxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 20:16   #2
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

eh? i really do not see what you will gain in all honesty you will still have incorrect sized wheels and it might cause more problems than it is worth.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 17:48   #3
doxxie

Speed rating, handling and braking performance of space saver vs 55 profile 16" tyre..........er, not too hard to see why.
doxxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 17:54   #4
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxxie View Post
Speed rating, handling and braking performance of space saver vs 55 profile 16" tyre..........er, not too hard to see why.
However you put it though you are still going to have a different wheel and tyre with a different size,profile, load rating and speed rating on an axle with an 18' wheel so you run into the same problem.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 18:42   #5
Wooders

Are you towing all the time? If only when going on holiday i would get a spare 18" (or a full set with snow tyres?) and throw a blanket around it and leave the card cover in the house.Just use the space saver when not towing.
Wooders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 14:49   #6
EricMe
V50 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxxie View Post
Hi

My 55 plate V50 SE Sport has 18" wheels and the awful space saver spare. Does anyone know if I can fit a 'full size' 16" wheel in the spare well? I can't see me towing with a space saver and the 18" alloys aren't going to fit.

Many thanks
There's no real substitute for a proper spare wheel - i.e. one with exact same characteristics as the ones fitted on the car. Anything else at all you'll be forced to crawl along at silly speeds to the nearest (& probably dearest) tyre fitter.

Whichever wheel size you have, the rolling radius should be the same so if the so-called 'space-saver' fits in the spare wheel well, a real spare will too. The only issue you might have (and it isn't an issue with my 205/50-17 tyres) is that the wheel might be too thick to let the false floor sit properly. On a previous car I overcame that problem by cutting an sheet of 'Kingspan' insulation to fit the floor area and cutting a hole in it the same diameter as the wheel. That meant that the false floor was properly supported but approx an inch higher than normal (insulation comes in a range of thicknesses so choose the grade that suits you best) giving room for the wheel to fit.

Never understood why maufacturers insist on calling them 'space-savers' ! If you have a puncture, you need to put the damaged spare somewhere to transport it and if the spare wheel compartment has been made too small for that job then your only option is to stuff it loose in the boot and waste an awful lot of space.
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 15:19   #7
iandonnadnjess
V.O.C. Member, R-Design

Exclamation

er i think you might find it illegal to mix 16" & 18" on the same axle you would not pass an mot that way anyway
iandonnadnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 17:15   #8
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandonnadnjess View Post
er i think you might find it illegal to mix 16" & 18" on the same axle you would not pass an mot that way anyway
you would not pass on a space saver...either way.
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 18:15   #9
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandonnadnjess View Post
It's not about MOT. It is about an emergency spare.

@ TE

I wouldn't bother. Either way, you need a new tire. So why bother buying a possibly more expensive wheel you'll probably never need? And when you need it, you can be sure, the tire will be too old or brittle... You can't rotate it as you could years ago, as you can't drive 3 18s and 1 16" for a while...

A full size wheel will not fit in the well. It is neither deep enough for it, nor will it fit from diameter... The space saver is already a smaller diameter and fills the well to the brim.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote