Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear tailgate will not open

Views : 14333

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2018, 20:22   #31
Croft

Default Issue found

Hi - resorted to buying a new latch from local Volvo dealer. Did consider the offerings from the auction sites, but in looking at the photos decided to splash out on a new one for just under £250.

Fitted it, all works well. Decided to have a look in the old one. This cannot be dismantled without damage to the case as it has been pressed into the metal assembly. The plastic case had become brittle with age too. Besides, it is a very complicated component for what essentially a simple task.

The likely cause of my issues and intermittent operation seems to be a broken rubber bushing that was fowling the actuator, preventing full movement. This in turn then puts the mechanism out of sync with all the microswitches.

I have highlighted the troublesome part below. My advice, replace the lock!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lock2.jpg (93.4 KB, 61 views)
Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Croft For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 22:34   #32
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croft View Post
Hi - resorted to buying a new latch from local Volvo dealer. Did consider the offerings from the auction sites, but in looking at the photos decided to splash out on a new one for just under £250.

Fitted it, all works well. Decided to have a look in the old one. This cannot be dismantled without damage to the case as it has been pressed into the metal assembly. The plastic case had become brittle with age too. Besides, it is a very complicated component for what essentially a simple task.

The likely cause of my issues and intermittent operation seems to be a broken rubber bushing that was fowling the actuator, preventing full movement. This in turn then puts the mechanism out of sync with all the microswitches.

Thanks for that Croft, I phoned my local Volvo stealer last week and their parts man quoted me £284.40 and about a week to get it up here to the frozen north of Scotland. I'll contact Rufe at FRF Volvo Swansea next week and see what price he can give me on a new lock delivered up here.

Still too bloody cold to work outside at the moment and anyway I have a stinking cold so am keeping warm indoors.
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 22:39   #33
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croft View Post

Wow, good on you for that bit of troubleshooting. I opened mine up after removing it and all I could muster was, uuuuuuhhh, yeah, lots of small parts and then I chucked it.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 13:19   #34
GrantA
Master Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice Croft and Pierre, I eventually bit the bullet and bought a new tailgate lock from Simon at FRF Volvo last week and fitted it this morning in between flurries of snow brrrrr. It works perfectly whooppeee job done. Cost of the new one from FRF delivered to the north of Scotland via Parcel Force 48hr service was £256.74 a saving of £30 from the local stealer - thank you Simon at FRF Volvo.

As an engineer I am duty bound to strip down the old lock and see what is inside and diagnose what went wrong before putting it in the bin - on the other hand it is bloody cold in the garage and I can't be bothered putting the heaters on so it might just go straight into the bin - I'll think about that one......

As Croft said, if you are having problems with the tailgate opening - "My advice, replace the lock!"
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 20:13   #35
Tinytaz09

Default Volvo xc70 boot module

Hello does anyone no where the boot module is located my electric boot will open on the button but not close been told it might be the module but don't where to look any help
Tinytaz09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 17:36   #36
V70Zig
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytaz09 View Post
Hello does anyone no where the boot module is located my electric boot will open on the button but not close been told it might be the module but don't where to look any help
Before you go looking for the module check that the "manual opening lever/handle of the boot" is not sticking on it's "pivot". If it hasn't gone back to it's "home" position the close button won't work. A quick spray of GT 40 and a few wiggly's sorted mine.
Good luck.......

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 21:11   #37
apersson850
Premier Member

It depends on if he has the mechanical or the pure electrical opening switch.

If the closing button isn't illuminated when the tailgate is open, there's a problem with the signal that passes the lock.
Does your rear dome light illuminate when you open the tailgate?
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 18:30   #38
StewartG

Default Rear Tailgate Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrb View Post
Mine did that.. For some reason I had to push the handle the opposite way. ie towards the car and then it would open.

Ended up having to replace the entire locking mechanism..
Mine did that today VRB and your fix worked! Many thanks
StewartG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 10:24   #39
100K+
Premier Member

Default What if anything can be done here??

Question ....
What if anything can be done to the rear hatch/lock/trim so that access can be obtained to get to the lock so that the rear door can be opened to change a defunct lock?

I'm thinking preventative maintenance.

Could and would a flap cut into the rear door trim panel allow meaningful access, so that the rear door could be opened, to replace the locking mechanism?

It may be possible with the trim removed before the door won't open to make a neat job of such a panel.

It would seem that lock failure and all its problems is an issue with these cars..

Comments/thoughts as usual appreciated..

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 15:07   #40
apersson850
Premier Member

As far as I know, there is a small hole in the interior panel of the rear door, which allows access to the lock. You put a screwdriver or something into the hole to open the rear door.

I've never used it myself, but I've seen it being described.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:

Tags
clicking, rear tailgate, unlock, xc70