Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

95000 Miles T8 update

Views : 1581

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2019, 12:32   #1
Rojah

Default 95000 Miles T8 update

Hi there,

So after just over 3 years “ownership” I thought that it might be useful for some in sharing my experiences and observations. Currently done nearly 95,000 miles and will probably be replaced at 100,000 miles

What’s gone wrong so far?
* Driver’s heated seat element replaced at 75,000 miles
* Worn ball joint/track rod end MOT advisory at 90,000 miles, replaced 92,500 miles
* Emission engine warning light - fuel sender and pump assembly replaced at 92,500 miles

What’s been replaced as consumables
* 4 new tyres at 62,000 miles. Current set still have 5-6mm tread left
* Front wiper blades at 37,000
* Rear wiper blade at 92,500

NB still on original brake pads only 50% worn

Would I have another one?
* Yes, but not if it was my own money. Depreciation is a killer, as keying in details on a well known website values the car at £23,500 cash trade now.
* Utterly reliable and safe. Comfortable and very refined. Great road presence.
* Still drives and feels like new - only I think that acceleration is actually faster!

T8 versus diesel?

Hands down win for T8 if willing to pay the premium- surprising petrol only fuel economy of nearly 40mpg on long motorway runs, and commuting too.
Std.T8 spec. great with pano and fuel heater (brilliant in winter).
AWD works well when occasionally needed, and useful safety feature when deep surface water on faster roads.

Things to consider for the future
* Battery degradation. Only now getting 14-15 miles max EV range in winter

Happy Days!

Regards

Rojah

PS I will be sorry to see it go!
1975 Suzuki GT500A & TS125J x2
1962 BSA Rocket Gold Star
Rojah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Rojah For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 12:51   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Those well known buy your car companies offer peanuts for your car, I would never go off their values, I had a 6 month old MK 1 XC90 SE with less than 5k on the clock and I got a value from "we buy any car" of £13,000, it cost £32k new, at 3.5 years I part exed it for another new one and paid £12k for a then £33k replacement so I got £21k for it 3 years later.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 13:05   #3
MaDProFF
Master Member

We buy offered me 21k for my AMG GLA,and that was the web price you bet they would have knocked more off on site, I sold it to a non Merc dealer for £28.5 I was offered £32 by a dealer but stupidly declined and 3 months later

Good to know what it is like after 100k almost, would be disappointed on the range though, not sure what is the percentage drop allowance on range before warranty kicks in
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 13:38   #4
jotka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojah View Post
will probably be replaced at 100,000 miles
get the same but newer
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 16:02   #5
Milliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Those well known buy your car companies offer peanuts for your car, I would never go off their values
I think the OP may have meant Auto Trader possibly. I agree the prices 'We Buy' type sites offer are generally terrible.

Quote:
Would I have another one?
* Yes, but not if it was my own money. Depreciation is a killer, as keying in details on a well known website values the car at £23,500 cash trade now.
* Utterly reliable and safe. Comfortable and very refined. Great road presence.
* Still drives and feels like new - only I think that acceleration is actually faster!
Great to hear. My lease is up in October, and I think my position is the same as yours, albeit I'll have done a fraction of those miles.

I had no brand loyalty at all in the past and have preferred to get a different brand each time (just to get something different really), but I am seriously considering another Volvo - most probably another T8 - next time, or even renegotiating and extending my lease and warranty (another first).

Whether it's an XC90/60 or a V90, I'd have to decide, but at the moment, I'd miss the space, practicality and occasional 7 seats of the XC90.

One other consideration - the next gen XC90 is due in 2021/2022, depending where you look. I might only be halfway into a three year lease when the new one is released. That'd bug me
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 16:10   #6
ergonomist

Thanks for this Rojah - its very reassuring as (at least at the moment) I'm planning to hold on to mine for a while longer. Nice to know that it's not all doom and gloom (whilst still feeling the pain of those with reliability problems). I'm stunned by the longevity of your tyres though! I am not worthy...
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 16:44   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Mine will be 85k miles on 1.3.19 and I am planning on buying it from the lease company and probably running it for another 3 years (although I will keep the mileage a bit lower by putting some miles on the V60). I am going to get a warranty from the dealer though to help to reduce the risk.

My battery life has been better than you report. After a full charge and in Pure it shows 21 miles. I can still do the same run out at lunchtime and back and run out of juice just before work at pretty much the same place as ever. It did get worse when very cold but it is better again now.

Brake pads is also interesting for me. I have been through the service reports and I think it also has never had pads. It is supposedly due back pads soon (they quote 4mm) but I think it will probably last until the 90k service....

As for tyres you are obviously a far better driver than me! I have generally got 22k front and 32k back. However now that I am paying for my own tyres then their life may improve.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 22:38   #8
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post

One other consideration - the next gen XC90 is due in 2021/2022, depending where you look. I might only be halfway into a three year lease when the new one is released. That'd bug me
My dealer told me that 2020 was just mid life refresh then it should have another 4 years or so for the design to run so I wouldnt worry too much about a new 3 year lease....
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 22:43   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Btw WBAC has offered 25k on my car. Dealer told me that Manheim auction price guide was showing 28k. There are no T8s on the forecourts I can find for less than about 38k. I found a private sale T8 Momentum at about 37k IIRC. I also had a quote online from Reg Vardy or similar. Came out at 17k!

I think true value of my car at 85k miles is probably between about 30 and 35. It was 70k list so that means it has retained about 45 percent which with the mileage, and the fact the purchase price is made up of 10k of extras, I dont think is too bad.
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 22:51   #10
nu11eaf
Premier Member

[QUOTE=Philip Fisher;2494989
As for tyres you are obviously a far better driver than me! I have generally got 22k front and 32k back. However now that I am paying for my own tyres then their life may improve.....[/QUOTE]

High mileage cars appear to get far longer life out of their tyres, it must be due to a lot more motorway miles as opposed to town driving were tyres are worn by lots of cornering braking and stop start use etc. I have just replaced 2 at 13k but due to a puncture and other two will need replacing at about 15k, mainly town driving.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote