Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Who can replace V40 Starter motor in West Yorkshire?

Views : 1490

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2018, 22:43   #11
MuscleFlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuz View Post
What engine is in your car ?
It's a 2.0 petrol
MuscleFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 00:02   #12
magnuz
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleFlex View Post
It's a 2.0 petrol
The most fiddly part of swapping the motor is undoing the cables from the solenoid as they may be slightly tucked under the manifold. Otherwise, there are just 3 main mounting bolts for the motor, it is possible that on some, the motor may have a support bracket on the end of it, to fix it to the engine block, but all the ones i've done didn't have one fitted.
There should be enough room to get the motor out without removing the manifold or any other major component.
Remember to disconnect the battery before removing the starter !!
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magnuz For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 11:28   #13
XCR
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleFlex View Post
Here's a video I shot tonight. The car started but you can hear the whirring sound for half a second before it actually started. Most times, when I'm away from home, all I get is the whirring sound. So I'm scared of using the car... let alone take it to the gas station in case it won't start after I switch the engine off!
https://youtu.be/k4wtOwJVI3U
Gas station ? Are you an American ?
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 16:30   #14
MuscleFlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR View Post
Gas station ? Are you an American ?
yep - but living in the UK now. Sorry I still use gas instead of petrol most of the time....
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 20:00   #15
MuscleFlex

Just had a thought - the battery I purchased back in March 2018 is a Powerline 096

Could it be the battery not supplying enough CCA? Can anyone help? Is it the starter motor or the battery?
I tried to start the car the other night but it wouldn't start. The starter motor just spins. I don't get to use the car much as I work in town and the last time I used it was on Wednesday. And Friday, it didn't want to start.
Old Nov 25th, 2018, 21:10   #16
MuscleFlex

Here's a video showing it
https://youtu.be/aDRKd4tjS-A
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 07:26   #17
canis
Non Fragile

Starter motor just spinning is surely indicative of a faulty solenoid, no?

The current for the starter motor itself is unswitched, the solenoid performs that job as well. So if it's spinning from the key, then the solenoid can be presumed to be connected. In other words; It's not a wire come off. The solenoid also engages the motor with the flywheel, and that's what's not happening.

It's worth checking, but I'd be suprised if you can obtain a solenoid seperately. I think you're back to plan A, and replacement is the only realistic option in my opinion.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 12:21   #18
magnuz
Ancient

The starter motor is turning, but not turning the engine.
This could be the pinion not throwing forward to make contact with the flywheel, or the one way clutch unit within the pinion has failed, or teeth are missing on the flywheel or motor pinion.
Before buying a new starter, It needs to be removed so that the teeth on the fly wheel can be inspected, also check starter. if the pinion on the motor can be spun with your fingers easily in both direction, then the one way clutch has failed. If the pinion can be turned in one direction, but not the other,using your fingers then it may be ok, but could still be failing under load.
Also check the motor on the bench by securing it in a vice & connecting it to a battery, to see if the pinion throws forward along its shaft when the solenoid is activated.
Keep finger well away from pinion when doing this test !
What all this really means is .... If the flywheel teeth are ok, then you need a replacement starter motor

Last edited by magnuz; Nov 27th, 2018 at 12:26.
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magnuz For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 12:51   #19
MuscleFlex

Thank you all... I'll chase up the garage to give me a quote on a starter motor replacement.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 22:11   #20
MuscleFlex

Just to update on this,
my local garage quoted me £200. Plus £49 to pick up the car if it won't start to get to the garage.

I have not had it done as lately, it seem to start ok (must be the warmer weather)

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I drove the car to York from Leeds to pick up a Peg Perego Gaucho ride on Jeep for my little girl. It drove great and the jeep just barely fitted inside (huge!)
Got back home at lunchtime.
In the afternoon, I was supposed to drop my wife off in town to meet her friends but I could hear a rubbing sound which I did not like so I turned around and used her car instead.
Sunday came and I wanted to go to the tip so tried to use my car again, and again, I could hear the rubbing sound which got louder the faster I went. So I turned around and decided to jack up the front right driver side wheel to have a look as I thought it could be the brakes.

This is what I found!
Coil spring snapped! And the end is pressed against the tire hence the rubbing sound.
Click Mechanic says £260 to repair both which does not sound bad.. but the car is old and I don't know how much I'm gonna keep paying for this car so I'm going to get this scrapped. £140 for a scrappage company to come and take it away.