Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speed limiter

Views : 8847

Replies : 237

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2019, 19:38   #121
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
Speed limit at 70mph doesn't save many lives either. The majority are killed at far lower speeds.
Maybe but your odds are better than a ton plus. You’ve only gotta see em hit each other in a 50mph section in the roadworks. Sadly, there’s no safety devices that can save you from stupidity, stupidity has nooooo cure but you can better your odds. Quite honestly I don’t see the advantage of capping the max speed but I do see the value of a limiter in built up area’s.
We can argue about the Nanny state, better driver training etc etc but that’s not going to stop someone driving like an idiot for what ever Pi55 poor reason they have killing a pedestrian so electronics will have to clip their wings. The facts are, you can argue this till you’re blue in the face, it’s coming and I’m certain it will happen.

TT
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 06:10   #122
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
... it’s coming and I’m certain it will happen.

TT
Oh, it's coming Thongy, on that we do agree. Along with pay per mile taxation, automatic fines on direct debit and anything else that will increase the tax take as the tax on fuel declines.

But it is not really about saving lives, as I have said before if they want to do that they would ban motorcycles and bicycles, and improve design. They are just using that idea as a way to sell it, so the people will allow it to happen.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 13:12   #123
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Oh, it's coming Thongy, on that we do agree. Along with pay per mile taxation, automatic fines on direct debit and anything else that will increase the tax take as the tax on fuel declines.

But it is not really about saving lives, as I have said before if they want to do that they would ban motorcycles and bicycles, and improve design. They are just using that idea as a way to sell it, so the people will allow it to happen.
Why ban motorcycles? Smack a limiter on those too.....

TT
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 15:27   #124
Spike56
Master Member

And that^^^^^^ is where it all began. There was a plan to do just that about 20-25 years ago. Motor cycle news (I think) ran a campaign to stop it. Losing power on two wheels is incredibly dangerous!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 15:39   #125
The Thong
VOC Member

Thumbs down

How? Speed limits are speed limits

TT
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 17:31   #126
villarsch

Just a few words on this subject. Some of us can remember the introduction of the 70 mph limit in December 1965. It was introduced by a minister who had heard reports that he was going to be demoted. The 70 mph limit was a simple idea to get more people onto trains (British Rail). This in turn would give the rail unions more power and they could support the minister. Sadly this did not work for the minister, Tom Fraser (I think).

But the really interesting fact is that the number of road deaths in the year after the introduction of the speed limit was the highest since the end of WWII. Interestingly this fact (supported by official figures) for 1966 does not seem to be widely known. Many "road safety" organisations only quote 1965 deaths, which are very high but below 1966.

Please remember that politicians usually work on the principle of taking responsibility from you, so reducing your ability to respond. Of course, this can lead to single member ballot papers
Villarsch
villarsch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to villarsch For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 18:01   #127
Spike56
Master Member

Motorcycles stay upright initially by balance and then gyroscopic rotation. As long as the rotation is constant the balance is fine, if the speed of rotation is interrupted then different physics take over and the bike wants to throw you off! Riding along at the speed limit and going around corners are pretty safe (comparatively) but should your speed be interrupted instead of the forces pushing downward on the wheels you suddenly become subjected to the forces as if in a car, i.e. you get 'thrown' sideways. Contact with the road at 30 mph is way worse for a biker than the passenger in a car being pushed onto their door.
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 18:30   #128
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
Motorcycles stay upright initially by balance and then gyroscopic rotation. As long as the rotation is constant the balance is fine, if the speed of rotation is interrupted then different physics take over and the bike wants to throw you off! Riding along at the speed limit and going around corners are pretty safe (comparatively) but should your speed be interrupted instead of the forces pushing downward on the wheels you suddenly become subjected to the forces as if in a car, i.e. you get 'thrown' sideways. Contact with the road at 30 mph is way worse for a biker than the passenger in a car being pushed onto their door.
Soooooo..... how does that change things? I’m assuming 70mph is more than enough on a motorway and 60 on a national speed limit road to keep a bike upright? I’m. It trying to be clever here or a smart ar5e but given the current legal limits etc, bikes are built to safely handle in those condition thus removing the need (that lovely tempting need) to speed thus being as safe as the conditions will allow.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 18:30   #129
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
I agree, having a limiter cut in half way round a corner would not be a good thing. Restricted power is not the same as a limiter as there is no sharp cut off.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 18:34   #130
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
I agree, having a limiter cut in half way round a corner would not be a good thing. Restricted power is not the same as a limiter as there is no sharp cut off.
So have a top end limiter.... Let’s be generous and say 75mph, I’m fairly sure manufacturers can combat some of these issues by using software on modern machines.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post: