Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A £1.50 engine upgrade for D4 VEA owners

Views : 20591

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2015, 11:45   #21
Turnwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tinkerer View Post
@ Turnwood, glad it's working for you. Just out of interest, how long was the factory-fitted length of hose on your car?

It was 156mm on mine, it would be interesting to know if this is a standard length.
Mine was 159mm - it was kinked around the component that it loops over so it definitely appeared that there would have been some kind of restriction.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turnwood For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 12:09   #22
The Tinkerer
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnwood View Post
Mine was 159mm - it was kinked around the component that it loops over so it definitely appeared that there would have been some kind of restriction.
Thanks, interesting to know. I inspected the factory hose on mine carefully, and it looked like it had been cut to length using a hand tool, the ends were not perfectly 'square.' Makes me think the lengths of hose are just pulled off a drum on the assembly line and cut individually by the worker who is 'plumbing' the hoses that day - which explains the slight variations in length.

Mine was originally kinked over the solenoid too, and at first I re-routed it so it took a more natural path, but I could see the hose was still a little flattened at the sharpest part of the curve. I needed to lift the mesh cover to see this properly.
The Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 22:04   #23
Baggies79

Just completed the mod ready for tomorrow's trip to North Wales. The removed hose is 161mm.
Baggies79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 19:18   #24
Robbiefen100

I'm going to try this (really safe) mod this weekend!

Always thought the pick-up from idle at a junction was a little tardy, this is definitely worth a try, I was considering polestar later this year when the first service comes due to cure this niggle - somewhat more costly!

I have an auto by the way, dunno if that makes any difference to pick up response?
Old May 18th, 2016, 19:58   #25
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

There is a slight lag with the auto as the fluid flywheel needs to engage to get you moving, though if you floor it you will find that lag pretty well dissappears
Old May 18th, 2016, 20:54   #26
Robbiefen100

I correct my choice of words, I don't experience a lack of engine pick-up - it just needs to wake up! Don't want to floor the throttle pulling out from a side road as going to result in unwanted wheel spin and / or torque steer (I'm fwd) Polestar blurb mentions enhancement in this regard if I recall correctly, not sure I can justify cost of p*

It's a lag in throttle response from idle which, as pointed out, means that until the torque converter has enough fluid spinning it there is a perceived delay.

Sport mode helps as the tickover rpm is slightly higher I believe, presumably for this reason. I'll have to do an comparison exercise to test sometime?

I need to try and get in the habit of flinging the gear selector to the left when I know I'm pulling out of side road or roundabout into traffic - but I tend to use sport mode only for the occasional overtaking these days though.

Minor gripes, just me getting used to Volvo's again. Love my car!
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:21   #27
The Tinkerer
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiefen100 View Post
I'm going to try this (really safe) mod this weekend!

Always thought the pick-up from idle at a junction was a little tardy, this is definitely worth a try, I was considering polestar later this year when the first service comes due to cure this niggle - somewhat more costly!

I have an auto by the way, dunno if that makes any difference to pick up response?
Please do report back and let me know your impressions.

A quick tip: the hose is easier to remove when the engine is warm, as it's more flexible. It might need a bit of a pull to remove it from the spigots, but it will come easily enough.

Just measure the length of the hose you remove, and cut the new piece of hose a couple of centimetres longer.
The Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 10:33   #28
LF1991

Mine was 16cm... I put 21cm on. Noticeably smoother. And definitely easier when the engine is warm..

If anyone wants some pipe, I bought a meter, so have 80cms ish left
LF1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 20:07   #29
Robbiefen100

I wish you'd said earlier

I just had to shell out 30pence more than the title of this thread.

What could I have bought with that 30p?
Old May 19th, 2016, 23:00   #30
NigelDay
Premier Member

Just a quick question. Would this DIY fix cause an warranty issues ?
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post: