Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Retrofitting a screen on non-nav XC90

Views : 1300

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2021, 21:27   #1
Iamcarlito

Default Retrofitting a screen on non-nav XC90

Hi All,

I've recently made the trade in for 2009 model without the Sat Nav package.

I was wondering if anyone has had good success with retrofitting a screen / installing a reverse parking camera?

I've seen on facebook & general searching two ways to go - either mounting where the top speaker should be (similar to the OEM NAV) or replacing the middle set of instruments where the phone buttons are.

What have you gone for and what recommendations would you have for a newbie?

Thanks in advance,
Carl
Iamcarlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 23:05   #2
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Welcome Carl, do a search on the forums, plenty of info, people doing retro Volvo installs and 3rd party headunit installs with SatNav capabilities .... nothing is cheap though, lots of reading ahead.

TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 08:44   #3
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

My XC90 came with factory sat nav, it's not something I would consider retro-fitting otherwise as it's poor by modern standards. The maps constantly need updating and the guidance is basic, eg no lane information. It's what it is, a twenty year old system.

I went for the 'Legend' system as a replacement for audio and sat nav. It's Android based and lets you choose your navigation, eg Google Maps, Waze etc it also brings the audio system up to date. You get a big touch screen, bluetooth, WiFi, 4G, front and rear camera inputs, MP3/4 Player and just about anything you want to install from Playstore.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty close and it's made specifically for the XC90 so it looks factory when installed. The guy who designed it also sells it and will guide you through fitting if you need help.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Missing Lincs For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 08:48   #4
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Its doable, but fiddly and expensive. Ultimately easier and cheaper just to buy a car with the spec you desire rather than buy the wrong one and upgrade it.
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 12:13   #5
PsYcHe

Our XC90 had the factory nav, but as people say. It sucks

I went with an Android Auto/Carplay stereo and the Connects2 kit. A little fiddly, but if you're capable of retrofitting the Nav system, then perfectly doable.
PsYcHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 14:10   #6
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

A bit strong to say "it sucks". After all, at one point it was good enough for Aston Martin.

Maps can be updated to 2018 maps and the interface is updated and improved with it. Its very useable, and functions very well.

But...

It is now very much of its time, the most recent hardware having been introduced 15 years ago. The user interface is conterolled by either buttons on the steering wheel or a remote control and it will feel very dated to anyone used to a modern touchscreen, and is fiddly and slow to input addresses into. However, once you've finished swearing and finslly got it running it will direct you as well as anything else.
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 14:34   #7
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
A bit strong to say "it sucks". After all, at one point it was good enough for Aston Martin.
Mmmm that doesn't say much as they (Volvo and Aston) were owned by Ford and the worst of the Ford parts bin ended up in both Marques, a dark time for Volvo and Aston, but as you said the interface and clunky nature is of its time ... why was it ever so bad though as TomToms/Garmins and most VDO kit were and still are light years ahead even back then IMO.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 15:30   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
I agree

If you don't like 2010 technology, don't buy a 2010 vehicle.

And if you want 2021 technology, buy a brand new car.

There's over a decade of different in the technology of the car... in all aspects...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 19:11   #9
zakmuh

Hi Carl,

I currently have something similar to Legend but I'm going to put the original one back and install the one from the link below. Mine is a 2007 model so it hasn't got an actual centre speaker.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...68668238%22%7D

These are available on eBay UK as well but getting it from Aliexpress is a lot cheaper and quicker.

3ca564f1f64b26bcc204bbcc4267b89f.jpg

2004-2005-2006-2014-volvo-xc90-car-stereo-audio-system-H6042N_01.jpg

Tags
nav, parking camera, retrofit