Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should I buy an S60?

Views : 3204

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2010, 12:10   #21
V70RMW
Master Member

Althought the S80 looks like a big S60 it does drive like a bit of a barge - at least the one I drove was not as pleasant to drive - although more comfortable, than my S60.
V70RMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 13:09   #22
Georgey dee
Premier Member

I'm moving house at the moment accross the county to Norwich and over the last few days I have found myself saying "why didn't I get the estate!" but as soon as I'm all done the S60 will be back in my good books
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 10:29   #23
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70RMW View Post
Althought the S80 looks like a big S60 it does drive like a bit of a barge - at least the one I drove was not as pleasant to drive - although more comfortable, than my S60.
Given that it will spend a big chunk of its life hooning up and down dual carriageways and motorways, lardy tugboat handling isn't too big an issue!
GMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 11:14   #24
Richard Swinney

Smile Will I like the S60??

I recently moved from a v70 T5 to an S60R, and am loving really it.

Accepting my performance improvement, my observations would be as follows.

a) Driving position of the v70 P2, is similar to the S60, so from a driver perspective its hard to differentiate which model you could be driving.

b) Turning circle is not brilliant on v70 P2 or S60 compared to the v70 classic shape, and bigger wheels make it worse still.

c) As other have mentioned the boot opening size restricts the ability to get large items into the boot. The boot has a lip, and IMO a weaker boot floor than the v70. However this may not be an issue if you dont carry really heavy objects.

d) If you carry passengers, the rear legroom is less than a v70 P1 or P2

e) If you get a car with electric seats, the seats do not go as low as the manual operated versions. I think the motors take up valuable space under the seats, so the mechanism is different. Personally I found the manual seats better for me.

I wanted the change as I found myself driving all the space of the v70 round by myself, whilst my wife had the dog and the boy in her focus! Upside is I found the S60R, but downside is that I had to get another car for her!
Still we are both happy now :-)
Richard Swinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 14:28   #25
terrorcrane

I had a Monde Zetec-s diesel which I absolutely loved, handled well, pulled well looked great (had the big alloys and skirts). The only down side was it did sound like a tractor as do all Mondeo diesel engines that are a year or more old.

When it died (well the insurance company wrote it off!) I got the S60 D5 and I can honestly say I would never go back. The S60 is quieter, smoother, more powerfull, pulls better and looks good. The only thing I miss about the Mondy is the access with the hatchback (and only rarely) and the huge alloys.

I have to say as well the turning circle is worse in the S60 and I can only imagine it would be worse in the S80 but having not driven one I couldn't comment.

All in all if I was given a Mondeo as a company car I certainly wouldn't complain but to own the Volvo is my first choice every time. It feels more sturdy, better made, less creaks and rattles and is the most comfortable car I have ever driven on a long run.

Hope this helps
terrorcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 14:52   #26
sham.notay

Default S60

We are selling our loved 2006 06 s60 diesel auto in august for 6k
sham.notay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 02:17   #27
GMad
Premier Member

Thanks for all the replies/advice people..
Can I add, It will definately not be a diesel and doesn't need to be a sporty model (I also own a Pontiac Trans Am and a Suzuki Hayabusa for those boy racer moments)!
It will purely be used for travelling the country in comfort (I work all over the place).
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 19:11   #28
GMad
Premier Member

And relax...
Very low mileage S60 SE purchased today for buttons.
A high mileage V70 classic will be on the market soon.