Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Access to Drivers Door Speaker - V50

Views : 1422

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2010, 09:28   #1
collangm

Default Access to Drivers Door Speaker - V50

I've noticed that I'm not getting any sound out of my drivers door speaker (the main one). Has anyone removed the speaker grille or can advise how to gain access to the speaker and wiring to check if fault is with speaker itself or further back in the system/wiring?

Thanks,

Gary
collangm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 16:31   #2
collangm

Okay, I've located a file in this forum relating to access and replacement of the drivers door speakers by removing the door card. Surely there is a simpler/quicker way of accessing the speaker wiring without removing the entire door card and plastics? Cant he speaker grille simply be unclipped from the door to verify whether the speaker cable is attached, for example?

Any advice of assistance would be very much appreciated...

Thanks,

COLLANGM
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 12:26   #3
collangm

Unhappy Please HELP!

Let me try a different tact here then as nobody has thus far offered any advice.

Does anyone have a copy of the S40/V50 2004-2007 model Haynes manual that indicates whether the drivers door speaker grille is removeable without having to remove the entire door plastics, and if so could they scan a copy and post on here please?

I can't believe the entire door panel has to be decontructed just to checker the speaker terminal/wiring is working okay? Then again...

Thanks in advance,

Gary
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 18:09   #4
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

requires door panel of to get to the speaker and wiring,dead easy remove cover of inner door handle,2 or 3 screws to remove then pull the door panel of firmly towards you.

worth checking the A pillar connecting block if applicable to your model year.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 21:59   #5
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Gary,

I had the EXACT same problem and it was the speaker that was dead.

I ordered a 2nd hand one from a volvo breakers place on ebay, paid about £50. (I have an S40 and had to search for V50 front speakers are they appear rare 2nd hand).

Its a very straight forward task but a little time consuming. You will need a drill as the speaker is riveted to the door.

1) look at interior door "grab" (where you pull it closed). there is black plastic cover at the back which can be prized off easily - do this.

2) Shove a wide crossheaded screwdriver (or something longish and reasonably thick) upwards into the gap, vertically. This will push the grab handle upwards and out of its clips. May have to push quite hard upwards. Grab handle and window switch will pop out (unplug the connector)

3) Look in the space where the grab handle was. There are 3x Torx 25 screws. Unbolt these.

4) Door card is held to the door by a series of plastic plugs. You need to gently wedge a flathead screw driver inbetween the door card and the frame just enough so you can see one of the plastic plugs. Push the screwdriver underneath the circle base of the plug, push it right to the centre, then leaver it back and it'll pop out without any damage. Do this for all plugs.

5) you need to remove the top door tweeter. You have to pry off the tweeter cover (you'll see the edge where it meets the black plastic window vent. Once you have the tweeter cover off (it does take some force) there are two clips holding the actual tweeter unit and top of the door card to the door frame. Squeeze them to release. Whole door card should come off.

6) You'll see the speaker. Held on by 3 rivets. A grey speaker plug goes into the very bottom. I had to drill the rivets out. I'm useless at re-riveting so i drilled three small holes into the speaker mounting area and screwd the replacement in.

7) Put back together.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote