Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.0d opinions?

Views : 1567

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2010, 22:24   #1
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Default 2.0d opinions?

Auto express say the following:

Quote:
We prefer the 2.0-litr turbodiesels though, which is very punchy at all speeds, yet super-refined and capable of 50mpg. On the road, it feels barely slower than the T5 performance model, which struggles to overcome the Volvo's weight

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...#ixzz0z4NcF0PS
Anyone agree with the section in bold? Wouldnt have thought the T5 struggles?!
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 22:48   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

well with an extra 90 bhp the T5 says it all ... Yes the 2.0D feels very punchy but in reality on paper its not that "fast" it has torque which is strong in a narrow powerband of 2000 rpm . if you try overtaking 2 cars at once on an A road you will see what i mean .. and its not very refined , glad its replaced with the glorious D3 and D4 now :-)
On the other hand the "T5" isnt what we know as T5 from 1995 to 2006 !
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 09:46   #3
Guru
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
if you try overtaking 2 cars at once on an A road you will see what i mean .. and its not very refined
In this case you have to be a quick shifter, when overtaking long vehicles for example, I start in 4th then half way through the overtake I quickly shift up to 5th and by that way I maintain the torque aka "punch" but the gear selector and clutch do take a battering.
I think the 2.0D engine is "fairly" refined, but it's the MMT6 transmission that's limiting by having long travel between selecting gears, and short ranges /ratio?/ of 1st and 2nd... with a cold engine, and unwilling to over-rev, it's not until 3rd gear that you get a move on, and by that i mean only reaching city speed limits.
In my old, very old, BMW I could take off from still and reach 120km/h all in 2nd gear, in the Volvo it's 40 and the engine is roaring it's head off.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 15:18   #4
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
Auto express say the following:

Anyone agree with the section in bold? Wouldnt have thought the T5 struggles?!
I doub't you'd live with a T5 being driven by someone who can change gears, down a straight, still not to say that the 2.0D is anyway a bad car because of that.

The T5 just has more power, I'd never say even a stock T5 'struggles' with the weight of the car, it has 236lb-ft from 1900rpm to 5000rpm - making it one of the torquiest petrol small saloons available and the 2.5 inline 5 petrol turbo engine is legendary for it's grunt and flexibility.

When I had mine stock, it was smooth - fairly quick, but not really 'raw' or 'sporty' like the older T5's - With the mods on mine, I think it drives much more sportily in that respect nowadays.

I find diesels stay with me until they need to change gear, then they drop back very quickly indeed - as I'm still in the same gear, with the power coming on strong and 2000rpm (in 3rd that's another 30mph of acceleration) more to run before i need to make a change, but you need a big increment to really blow someone away in a turbo diesel (like 20 off a roundabout to 70+ on the Mway)

I'm running about 300lb-ft torque from 2500rpm up to 4500rpm so a tuned T5 is more or less a match for a regular Diesel's Mid range.

To give you an idea - mine runs 50-70 in 3.0 seconds, 60-100 (private road) in 7.6, and 30-70 in third in 6.8, second and third 5.4

Last edited by t5_monkey; Sep 10th, 2010 at 15:29.
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 19:49   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
In this case you have to be a quick shifter, when overtaking long vehicles for example, I start in 4th then half way through the overtake I quickly shift up to 5th and by that way I maintain the torque aka "punch" but the gear selector and clutch do take a battering.
I think the 2.0D engine is "fairly" refined, but it's the MMT6 transmission that's limiting by having long travel between selecting gears, and short ranges /ratio?/ of 1st and 2nd... with a cold engine, and unwilling to over-rev, it's not until 3rd gear that you get a move on, and by that i mean only reaching city speed limits.
In my old, very old, BMW I could take off from still and reach 120km/h all in 2nd gear, in the Volvo it's 40 and the engine is roaring it's head off.
most of the big volvo PETROL models will do 70 mph ( 115 kph ? ) in 2nd :-)
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 20:45   #6
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

I've drag raced a 320d and with a bad driver not able to launch properly it could barely get away 20-60.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 21:00   #7
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
I've drag raced a 320d and with a bad driver not able to launch properly it could barely get away 20-60.
That's only a 40mph increment - not many cars would get far away from you over such a short increment.

Race him down an Autobahn and see what happens then...
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 21:22   #8
Guru
Premier Member

Clan, I am aware that the key word here is "petrol", but nevertheless, I think the gear ratios of a 2.0D could have been a bit more relaxed.

Motorway speed limit on the continent is 130km/h which is about 82mph, now 82mph in 6th gear comes at 2200rpm exactly, which falls into the optimal range of revs for both economical and dynamic responsive driving, but supposing you're on the autobahn ja, and you're doing 180kph {112mph} then economy goes bye bye flying out the air leak in the side rear view mirror /where objects seem closer than they are/ because revs at that speed are well over 3500rpm. JMPOV.

Last edited by Guru; Sep 10th, 2010 at 21:32.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 21:30   #9
Guru
Premier Member

I've smoked my father in law in his tuned A4 2.0TDi between traffic light in a manner he could hardly believe.

But since he who laughs last laughs best, on the motorway we were fairly close to each other, but after my car reached 112mph it started loosing breath, while his made it firmly and evenly to 140mph with out a sweat... but then it blew a gasket and all radiator hoses became hard as stone, but that's not the point!
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 21:32   #10
Jaff87
it goes like ooft!

I'm not sure how they can say the T5 struggles in the s40 body, ive driven mondeos with the t5 engine and they are rapid for such a large barge really not noticbly slower than a focus ST with the same engine, how how much that is to with the box ford fit, although it could very well be exactly same one volvo use.
My 2.0d c30 doesnt feel as fast as an equivalent focus, although it is if not quicker. but the esp systems are different though and i dunno if the volvo just reigns in more of its power. Ford seem to wheel spin more easily and you clearly feel the esp interfeering but the volvo never sprins up and i never notice the esp, but if i turn it off the engine feels alot less restricted and a whole lot torqueyer. I dunno if the same goes for the T5. (i do love how i can turn it off you cant do that on fords, and when you can it automatically kicks back in above 30 mph).

Last edited by Jaff87; Sep 10th, 2010 at 21:34.
Jaff87 is offline   Reply With Quote