Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing faulty abs pump and module

Views : 3356

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2017, 22:26   #1
andy m

Default Replacing faulty abs pump and module

Hello,

I suspect this has been done to death, however I trying to figure out options for repairing the abs pump / module.
I understand there can be issues matching replacement parts.
Question is
Can I source a replacement via volvo part number p30714952? I.e will all units with the part number be compatable?
Can I source a replacement from ate? Ate number is 10-0204-0489.4 Will all units with that part number be compatable?
Also, is it possible to buy new ATE parts? Can seem to find new parts on the internet.

Finally, any recommendations for repairing the module? I am going to attempt to repair the motor with new bushes first.

I am desperately searcing for a solution that does not cost me in excess of £1000 from Volvo!

Thanks in advance,

Andy
andy m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 10:08   #2
oragex
Premier Member

For the module try google 'volvo abs module repair' and check for the images results
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 21:24   #3
andy m

An update on this issue.

Thanks to a fellow forum member who offered advice I have have hopefully solved the issue for less than £80.
It would appear that the fault code was due to worn brushes in the abs pump motor.
A bit of a pig to sort, renewing a second hand unit, but far better than spending £1000 + getting volvo to put a new unit in
Old Apr 26th, 2017, 18:51   #4
Kryygeri

Hello Andy,

could you describe the pump motor renewing in a bit more detail? I was getting occasionally a fault code on abs pump motor voltage so I cleaned the motor and it sorted out the problem.

However now, after about 9 months the fault codes appeared again. I would like give it a permanent fix. When I did the cleaning, the brushes did not look terribly bad, although wear on them obviously means lower contact pressure to slip rings as the springs have to extend more.
Kryygeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2017, 20:15   #5
andy m

Hello,

I will try to describe as best I can.

Firstly, I bought a second hand unit to practice on and to try to renew the brushes so I would not gave the car out of action and so I knew what I was doing.

Removing the old motor is from the abs unit is nerve-wracking! At the end of the spindle is "cup" which needs to stay in the body of the ads unit. If this comes out it is a pain to get back in. To keep it in place I used a small screwdriver to hold it in place as I extracted the motor from the unit.

Next step, once the motor is out, pull the top cap from the spindle. This can take some force as the magnets are strong.

Next is remove the bearing . I used a wiper blade puller to extract it £7 -from e bay. A proper small bearing puller would be better.

Once the bearing is off, you can take the housing with the brushes on and have a look. The gent who advised me sent his to a brushes company who solderd some new ones on. The company I sent mine to said they could not fix it as yoh cannot replce the brushes housing as they are molded on. I was fortunate that the one I sent had only about 2mm wear on them (The faulty ones from mine were very worn) so did not need renewing.

Once brushes fixed, get a new bearing 6003 rs off top of my head and press it in place. I used a soft jawed vice and some bicycle bearing press tools.

Once, put it all back together and re attach.

I hope thid makes sense. If you are going to attempt it I would highly reccomend getting a second hand unit to practice on. I used two as I buggered up the first one, but was happy to learn from my mistakes on those than screw up the unit in the car. They are £20ish of e bay.

The other crucial thing will be finding a company that will solder new brushes carbons onto the old housings
I hope this makes sense, let me know if you need more information

Cheers

Andy
Old Apr 27th, 2017, 19:25   #6
Kryygeri

Thank you!

I could not access the brushes previously as I did not pull the bearing out. It is very good to know that replacing brushes will require soldering.

I will try to find suitable brushes with wires and solder them to the molded connectors or stubs of the existing brush wires. And most probably I will buy a spare motor just in case, as they are easily available.

And just for general information, bearing on the drive-end of my pump motor is 6001-Z (my car is V70 2.5T 2004).
Kryygeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2017, 21:10   #7
andy m

My biggest bit of advice to anyone trying this is to renew the brushes and bearings on a spare second hand unit as it can be tricky. You do not want to take yours off the car and then break it trying to renew it. If you renew a second hand unit you just need to pop the exising one of and put the renewed one on.
Oh and be very careful taking the motor off the abs unit to make sure you do not pull the " cup" out with it.

Good luck,

Andy
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 04:56   #8
petey
Master Member

Default Single bearing

When I first looked at this, I happened to have a VW Touareg pump to look at. The parts look identical, but VW specify a twin bearing rotor whereas Volvo seem content with a drive end bearing and a simple bush at the magnet end.

I figured it was better to use the more stable VW shaft so that was the one I rebuilt. I have the email train somewhere, but the carbon brush company I used recognised that the brushes are inserted before the brush carriers are hot-staked into the carrier plate, but by cutting the old ones out they could push new ones in and reuse & solder on the cables. (There was also a small difference between the volvo and VW carrier plates electrical connections, but from memory I recall I figured let sleeping dogs lie; preserve the existing spade connectors).
The brushes were 3 quid, fitting, soldering and overnight postage took it to £20. The VW pump was liberated from the tyranny of capture so it really is a cheap repair.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 09:52   #9
andy m

What Petey Said!!

He was the forum member who kindly offered me advice which helped me with my repair and to whom I am eternally grateful.

Cheers,

Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to andy m For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 12:33   #10
petey
Master Member

Default Who made my brushes:-

This is the last email in my correspondence with the carbon brush makey peoples......

Solent Tools Ltd
Unit 009, Solent Business Centre
343 Millbrook Road West
Southampton
SO15 0HW
Tel: 023 8057 8057
Fax: 023 8057 4470
Email: sales@solenttools.co.uk

Hello,

Thank you for sending us the picture, unfortunately we do not carry that size brush in stock and would need to manufacture the brushes. You could send us the whole brush housing and we can then remove the brushes.

All The Best
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petey For This Useful Post: