Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Emission warning light problem - suggestions?

Views : 3213

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 18:31   #1
DubT5

Default Emission warning light problem - suggestions?

Hi - I have a new shape V70 and it was suggested that I try posting on this forum also!

Hi - New to the group but would really like some advice/suggestions - I have been enjoying my 2000 V70 T5 since August - a heart over head purchase that has been bring a smile to my face every time I drive ... but I have recently had a spate of 'Service Required' warning lights - the most recent being only 6 days after a full service (70k). These (and the fact that the suspension bushes need replacing after only 70k!) are making me feel less than happy with my purchase! Is there a simple explanation to sorting out the emission warning problem before my six month warranty runs out!

I'm very concerned that I might be facing one of those 'Not sure exactly what the problem is, but we'll try this' scenarios. The service and warning message readings have been done by my local main dealer - I've had a series of 240's, 850's and now the V70 through them so know them well. I'll be heading round to them on Tues 2nd Jan so would like to go armed with some appropriate questions/comments! Any suggestions welcome.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 01:31   #2
GMcL
0's and 1's

Not sure about the T5 engine but as no-one else has posted here, here goes:

You don't say what kind of driving conditions the car is usually used under.
I drive a D5 and in the manual is says if you do a lot of short journeys you may end up with an emissions warning. The way to clear this is to take the car on a motorway drive for at least 20 minutes once the engine has warmed up, to clear the exhaust recirculation.
This maybe rubbish in the case of a petrol engine but worth reading the manual before paying the dealer a load of cash to take the car for a motorway blast.
Also, the service indicators on cars are prone to playing up. I had a Peugeot 206 which is supposed to go 20k between services. When starting up, it always showed how many miles to the next service. Last February I still had c.4600miles to the next service. The next morning it said service overdue.
Take your car back to the dealer with the receipt for the service and get it reset properly.

Depending on the state of the roads you use, 70k is not too bad for a set of suspension bushes on such a heavy, front engined, front wheel drive car. The above 206 (Dec. 01) I had suffered failed front wishbones and bushes at that mileage covering mostly motorway miles.
No French comments here, the car was built in Ryton...please feel free to post comments regarding French design and French manufactured parts which were installed. Slovak built Pug207 anyone ? )
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 16:19   #3
T5JAS
Gorgeous Master Member

Hi Dub and welcome to the forum. good choice of car, but like you say when you start getting txts from it it does start to pee you off.. and i should know!
my emmission warning light has been on for about 6 months now, it first started when my abs/dstc ecu failed. that has been replaced but ive not had the time to get the codes read/reset. driving on a motorway will not clear it, it needs to be put on vadis and the fault read, then fixed, then cleared. if it isnt fixed it will just come back on. some people will suggest disconnecting the battery for half an hour, this sometimes works but as the fault hasnt been rectified it will simply come back on. is your engine light on as well as the emission txt?
it could be something like a vacuum hose that has come loose or is cracked, which in a 2000 model is likely as they get hot and start to perish causing cracking. if it only came on after a service its poss the tech may have either dislodged an already loose hose, or dislodged a weak one and it cracked, either way take it back to them and tell them they have to sort it as it started after they serviced it.
hope this helps matey.
good luck,
Jason
FACTORY DVD ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE.
never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
T5JAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 20:49   #4
DubT5

Thanks for the input - great to draw on others experiences! Have booked the T5 in for Monday at the local dealer - only problem is that I'm now starting to collect warning messages (now at 3 and counting!). That - together with the fact that the fuel gauge is clearly not accurate (ran out with more than 1/4 tank still showing on the gauge) is really starting to give me some concern about the electrics in general! Will keep you posted!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 21:59   #5
T5JAS
Gorgeous Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubT5 View Post
Thanks for the input - great to draw on others experiences! Have booked the T5 in for Monday at the local dealer - only problem is that I'm now starting to collect warning messages (now at 3 and counting!). That - together with the fact that the fuel gauge is clearly not accurate (ran out with more than 1/4 tank still showing on the gauge) is really starting to give me some concern about the electrics in general! Will keep you posted!
that doesnt sound good mate, hopefully it will be something simple, and like i said.. as it started after they had serviced it they will hopefully foot some if not all of the bill. worth a try to see.
again, good luck
Jason
FACTORY DVD ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE.
never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
T5JAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 16:38   #6
Laptoploon

Please don't shoot me for resurrecting an old thread but I did a search and this is what I got!

My '96 T-5 is showing the 'emissions' warning light but when I check through the OBD2 connector with VOL-FCR I can't find any relevant fault code.

I know the OBD2 connection is good as I have a known fault in the ABS and this does show a fault code.

The ABS fault is a pre-existing condition - so it may be relevant, but does beg the question as to why the emission thing has only just appeared.

I'm at my wits end so please....help!!!!

On a happier note my '94 850 with 280k on the clock has just had another 12 months MOT added to it - this is the one 'er indoors drives and who scoffs at me any time I suggest she pops the bonnet and checks the oil!
Laptoploon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 17:11   #7
mds

Default Emissions Warning

You say the car is a 96 T5 so first you may get more help on the pre 2000 section.
Second the emissions light can be triggered by several things from the MAF to a Knock Sensor so you really do need the codes read.
mds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 18:02   #8
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptoploon View Post
Please don't shoot me for resurrecting an old thread but I did a search and this is what I got!

My '96 T-5 is showing the 'emissions' warning light but when I check through the OBD2 connector with VOL-FCR I can't find any relevant fault code.

I know the OBD2 connection is good as I have a known fault in the ABS and this does show a fault code.

The ABS fault is a pre-existing condition - so it may be relevant, but does beg the question as to why the emission thing has only just appeared.

I'm at my wits end so please....help!!!!

On a happier note my '94 850 with 280k on the clock has just had another 12 months MOT added to it - this is the one 'er indoors drives and who scoffs at me any time I suggest she pops the bonnet and checks the oil!
A '96 T5 will have Motronic 4.3 you need to read engine fault codes like this:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=83897
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 18:54   #9
Laptoploon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
A '96 T5 will have Motronic 4.3 you need to read engine fault codes like this:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=83897
Hi, thanks for that - I spend all that money on a 'digital solution' only to find it's more 'analogue'

Anyone know where I can buy a single paperclip

Laptoploon - tight git :-)
Laptoploon is offline   Reply With Quote