Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

URGENT newbie V70 buying advice

Views : 3212

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 22:52   #11
trevU.K

Default RAC inspection is worth its weight in gold,

RAC inspection is worth its weight in gold, I have just got a V70 on 2004 reg with only 80k and its needing a new steering rack, luckly under Volvo Select insurance, but you have not got this.
Mytyres.co.uk when you need new tyres, 70.00 each fitted for P6000.

Good Luck.
Cheers
Trev
trevU.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:20   #12
jackthehat.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMitch View Post
jackthehat,

Check auto fluid colour & smell; if black & /or smells burnt, walk away. Look inside the rocker cover for evidence of sludge build up ( this may prove difficult due to the 'thingy' fixed to prevent god knows what???????????; again walk if there is any evidence.
Plus all the usual; electric seats,, elec windows ( front/rear) stereo, cruise,acc etc.
+ , as mentioned, factor in a new timing belt as soon as ( due @ 96k...........allow approx 4 hundred) !!!

Dave
Hi, thanks, I really wanted to check the auto box fluid but I couldn't see a dipstick for the auto box. I just assumed the car didn't have a dipstick for the gearbox. How do I check the gearbox fluid without getting out my toolbox? Also, the seller kindly told me about the timing belt needing changed at the next service so I am prepared for that and negotiated that into the price as I knew it would be expensive.

Last edited by jackthehat.co.uk; Jun 12th, 2007 at 08:23.
jackthehat.co.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:25   #13
jackthehat.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

The RAC report should highlight any worrys about the car.
Check also the service record and look for timing belt changes and that this included tensioners and associated bits..

Also, don't you think it is a bit late to be posting now for advice and tips with you having selected, paid a deposit and ordered an RAC report??
Sounds a bit like closing the stable door with the horse galloping off into the distance..!

Des. . .
Yes, you're absolutely right.. I am leaving it too late. But it's better to lose a hundred quid deposit than spending thousands on repairs.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:27   #14
jackthehat.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
I don't ... I read the post quickly and read private sale as private plate !, ignore what I said.
Oh I see, the reason I asked is that the car DOES have a private plate that will be coming off the car soon. I thought you may be telepathic!
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:29   #15
jackthehat.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by michron11 View Post
what about timing belt + tensioners + water pump have they been changed?????????????????????? work this into the price
:
Big service is due in 2500 miles with timing belt change etc so I am prepared for that. Thanks anyway. I'm more worried about unforseen problems such as engine/gearbox trouble etc rather than routine maintenance.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 09:41   #16
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthehat.co.uk View Post
Yes, you're absolutely right.. I am leaving it too late. But it's better to lose a hundred quid deposit than spending thousands on repairs.
So long as you know..
The fact that it is a diesel means that you'll want to make sure the engine is in good order: injectors, fuel pump and rail.. etc
Hopefully your RAC report should point out any possible issues under the bonnet..
And any possible body repairs or points of note...

Hope all turns up Ok with it..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 13:20   #17
v8disco

Something that seems to be a problem is injectors on the D5. If it takes longer than a few cranks to start then it could need them replaced - and that could be up to £1500 at a Dealer. I would start by asking if they have already been replaced.

My 03 D5 V70 has 75K miles and has not had the injectors replaced as yet although I figure its only a matter of time until they need doing.

The way i view faults is that they are not always a bad thing. As long as you have an idea of what needs doing, and the car seems generally good then faults can be a useful lever to haggle the price, especially if its a private sale.

I bought mine privately in January. It had a stack of history, the seller "appeared" genuine, the car drove perfectly and it was the right car at the right price. So far I have been delighted with it.

Martin
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 13:33   #18
GMcL
0's and 1's

For that age of car you want to make sure the diesel injectors have ALL been replaced.
This should have been done under warranty and the seller or Volvo should be able to advise.
If not, the car will be difficult to start in winter as these early D5's did have a problem with the injectors. Volvo currently replace one at a time though don't know where you'd stand with them regarding goodwill as the last service you say was not done by Volvo. Total to replace the lot is c.£1500.

Also check the top engine mount has not split, about £45 for the part from Volvo but may also help knock the purchase price down (bit late now as you appear to have already agreed to buy).

The V70's have had central locking problems with the tailgate. Check that works and fuel filler flap should lock 8 minutes after the car has been locked.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Jun 12th, 2007 at 13:53.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 13:46   #19
jackthehat.co.uk

Thanks GMcL & v8disco,

The person I am buying from has only had the car 6 months but has done 14000 miles in that time. He seems really genuine and is only selling the car as he has lost his job as a mobile service technician. He tells me the only work the car has needed in those 14000 miles is bulbs, tyres, a steering bush replacement and some sort of cable linking the gearbox and ignition. He has actually voluntarily told me things that I would never have told a prospective buyer such as it is due a very expensive major service, very poor turning circle, also pointed out marks on the car that I hadn't spotted etc. I am just hoping that the injectors will be OK. The car seemed to start perfectly OK when I went to see it. Is the injector starting problem noticable when the engine is warm? If so, I will try it again before I hand over the cash.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 13:53   #20
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthehat.co.uk View Post
I am just hoping that the injectors will be OK. The car seemed to start perfectly OK when I went to see it. Is the injector starting problem noticable when the engine is warm? If so, I will try it again before I hand over the cash.
Starting problem usually shows itself the first cold morning of autumn/winter. Not heard of it showing during summer months or when warm/hot, unless the injectors are seriously leaking.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote