Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

URGENT newbie V70 buying advice

Views : 3208

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 14:17   #21
jackthehat.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Starting problem usually shows itself the first cold morning of autumn/winter. Not heard of it showing during summer months or when warm/hot, unless the injectors are seriously leaking.
Oh well, looks like I'll be taking a chance with those injectors then. There doesn't seem to be much I can do about it. Thanks anyway.

Also, I forgot to check the VIN numbers on the car. Do you know where they are located?
jackthehat.co.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 15:31   #22
GMcL
0's and 1's

Not having a V70 myself I'm not 100% sure but there should be a plate with the VIN on the dashboard, visible from outside, on the passenger side.
Also, under the bonnet at the back of the engine bay.
I think there's a third somewhere, possibly in the boot.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 15:43   #23
jackthehat.co.uk

Quote:
Not having a V70 myself I'm not 100% sure but there should be a plate with the VIN on the dashboard, visible from outside, on the passenger side.
Also, under the bonnet at the back of the engine bay.
I think there's a third somewhere, possibly in the boot.
Thanks for that. I will have a look. Can anyone else with a V70 confirm this?
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 16:28   #24
v8disco

Yes, Vin number visible through windscreen. It is also stamped on a plate
under the bonnet towards the firewall. not sure if it is anywhere else
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 17:02   #25
jackthehat.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8disco View Post
Yes, Vin number visible through windscreen. It is also stamped on a plate
under the bonnet towards the firewall. not sure if it is anywhere else
Thanks v8, I think I have all the ammo I need now. If I do come back home with it, the first thing I will be looking for is a replacement glove box lid as the one on the car has been damaged. I think it will take some finding and I don't fancy pricing a new one from Volvo.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 18:42   #26
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthehat.co.uk View Post
Thanks v8, I think I have all the ammo I need now. If I do come back home with it, the first thing I will be looking for is a replacement glove box lid as the one on the car has been damaged. I think it will take some finding and I don't fancy pricing a new one from Volvo.
You can get the glovebox lid fixed by one of those mobile paint and interior trim companies.
The glovebox lid in my car had a gouge down it from a handbag or something. Unless you get close up to it, you can't tell it's been repaired. The texture does not quite match but it's cheaper than a new lid and not noticable from the drivers seat like the gouge was.

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 01:04   #27
jackthehat.co.uk

Quote:
You can get the glovebox lid fixed by one of those mobile paint and interior trim companies.
The glovebox lid in my car had a gouge down it from a handbag or something. Unless you get close up to it, you can't tell it's been repaired. The texture does not quite match but it's cheaper than a new lid and not noticable from the drivers seat like the gouge was.
Thanks, never even considered that. Anyway, I have some more important news. I have just done a car data check on the vehicle. It came up clean with one major exception: It is registered by DVLA as having a manual gearbox. I am wondering if it is a mistake on the V5 log book. Now I don't know what the hell to do. I think it's unlikely that the car has been converted to an auto, that would just cost too much even if you could find anyone to do it. But... you never know!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:08   #28
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi folks, I have put down a £100 deposit on a 2002 V70 D5 S Auto. I am due to collect the car on Thursday morning this week but now I am getting worried about possible pitfalls. It is a private sale and the car has done 93,000 miles. It comes with a full service history (all by Volvo except last service) and 12 months MOT. I had a quick look round the car and it drove very nicely on the test drive but here's my question:

Before I hand over the rest of the cash what are the absolutely essential things I should look out for?

Everything electrical inside the car seems to work including the climate control. The auto gearbox works in all gears and kicks down OK and seems smooth. There are no nasty rattles or clunks from the suspension. The owner seems like an honest man. I can't see any evidence of accident damage or any dodgy paint jobs. I will be doing an HPI check before I collect it too. Apart from getting an RAC inspection is there anything really obvious I could look for myself?
This is a bit obvious but electrical gremlins can cost a lot & be a right pain to rectify : get in the car & thoroughly check EVERYTHING electrical works; lock & unlock the doors a few times, test all switches (dont forget the horn, as I did, only to find it was full of water & gargled like listerine).Check all the panel backlights are working & have a good look at the digital displays for missing pixels etc. These checks are not specific to Volvo & will take a while, but with the amount of electronics in these cars it`s time well spent.
hobbyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:25   #29
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Thanks, never even considered that. Anyway, I have some more important news. I have just done a car data check on the vehicle. It came up clean with one major exception: It is registered by DVLA as having a manual gearbox. I am wondering if it is a mistake on the V5 log book. Now I don't know what the hell to do. I think it's unlikely that the car has been converted to an auto, that would just cost too much even if you could find anyone to do it. But... you never know!
Sometimes you have to take what the monkeys at DVLA do with a pinch of salt.
I bought my S60 from a Volvo main dealer, did the checks etc... all was clean.
I was checking over the V5 in the showroom when I noticed the car type was listed as an estate. The post-2000 S60 car has NEVER, EVER been an estate. They were notified of this error on change of ownership. The car is now on the V5 as a 3 door hatchback !!!

Renew your road fund licence online and you still cannot drive until you physically have the disc in place on the windscreen or you will be fined, even though they have a record of your renewal.
Declare SORN online and it's 50/50 if it will be registered or not, if not, you will be fined.
DVLA cannot build and maintain a database for the few hundred cars on the roads today (see example above with S60) but they will sell your details to any Tom, Dick or Harry in exchange for a few quid.
Yes the world has a lot to envy the UK for. Vehicle registration not being one of those things.
Rant over, thank you for listening...

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 19:13   #30
jackthehat.co.uk

Default Major Development

Well, you're all going to think I am nuts. I phoned the poor guy up today and told him I didn't want the car. He wasn't very pleased of course. So, including the HPI check and my fuel it has cost me £177.

However... one hour ago I got back from buying another V70! This one I am definitely buying! Tell me what you think of this deal:

V70 D5 SE manual
2003 (03)
1 owner from new
Full main dealer service history
126000 miles
12 months MOT
6 months tax
Just serviced
Full tank of diesel included!
Full valet
HPi tested
3 months warranty with an option to extend it to 15 months warranty for an extra £200.

The price for this car?

£7995

I am really pleased and according to What Car valuations it should be £10295 from a dealer, £9345 private and even the trade price is £8445.

Please someone tell me I have done good!