Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Retrofitting electric drivers seat

Views : 3206

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 14:18   #1
nelsta

Default Retrofitting electric drivers seat

Hi,

I've just picked up a 2003 ex-police V70 T5 in suprisingly very good condition, apart from the nice velour interior. I have sourced a complete leather interior from a 2006 car which I plan to fit. One slight problem is the new leather drivers seat is an electric one, which on closer inspection of my car, won't 'just plug in' like I was assured by the guy at the breakers.

I was wondering whether anyone had any experience/joy of retrofitting electric seats in their cars and what the likely method/time/costs are?
Worse case scenario is that I get the current manual drivers seat recovered with the leather, but it seems such a shame to bin all the electrics.
nelsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 14:45   #2
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

I'm not 100% sure about the seats, but I'm willing to bet that if you don't have the wiring it could be *very* difficult to get them to work. Bear in mind that the Police spec Volvo's are not simply standard production cars with a couple of blue lights on top!

I think the top sticky tells you all you need to know about trying to upgrade a P2 Volvo:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=40948

Now, I doubt the seats are coded to cars like the stereos are, however I'm fairly sure that the electric seats will work in conjunction with the drivers door module (and maybe others too). Your car may or may not support electric seats, and if it does it will probably need a software download from Volvo to do it.

I'd be surprised if you can ever get it to work if the correct wiring is not there to be honest.

See also:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...electric+seats

In theory it might be possible to get a +12v supply to the seat motors and do without the memory function, but I don't think anybody has ever tried it...

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 17:14   #3
s60ben
Master Member

The problem is probably that you have 2006 seats....

The wiring/comms changed in 2005

I know a man who might fancy swapping two pre 2005 front electric V70 seats with you in exhange for the 2005> eats for the lack of hassle that he may experience in trying to re-wire his Then they will definitely just "plug straight in"

It's been done MANY times

I've done it twice, know 2 others who have done it too

It's a very simple job tbh and it's tops an hour/two of work.

Where are you based in the country?

That top link doesn't tell you "everything" at all

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work

Last edited by s60ben; Jan 23rd, 2008 at 17:19.
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 18:30   #4
nelsta

Smile

Thanks for the advice. Yes the leather seats I have were out of a 2006 car having only covered 2,000miles so they are in excellent condition. I am based just south of Coventry in Leamington Spa and might be interested in an exchange. What condition are the seats in?
nelsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 18:43   #5
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsta View Post
Thanks for the advice. Yes the leather seats I have were out of a 2006 car having only covered 2,000miles so they are in excellent condition. I am based just south of Coventry in Leamington Spa and might be interested in an exchange. What condition are the seats in?
You have a PM

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Poor Work
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 19:39   #6
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s60ben View Post
That top link doesn't tell you "everything" at all

LOL! I meant in the sense that nothing is straightforward with these cars!

P.s. Ben, are you sure they just plug in? Nelsta didn't think there was any wiring for them to plug into? Or is it just the new wiring that makes it look different?

Thanks for putting me right.

Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4

Last edited by oilburner; Jan 23rd, 2008 at 19:41.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 19:55   #7
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post

P.s. Ben, are you sure they just plug in? Nelsta didn't think there was any wiring for them to plug into? Or is it just the new wiring that makes it look different?

All P2 cars come with the required wiring for nigh on every option that you can fit.

I'm not entirely convinced that Graham is fully correct in the reprogramming side of things either, but thats being looked into

Either way, the seats will just "plug and play", just make sure you fit the fuse for the powered seats (coz it's very embarrassing if you dont)

The heated seat bit needs programming (if you have them) volvo charge @ 400, braydons charge 100....

Other than that, simple job.

Nelsta is referring to the wiring changes.

He has pre 05 car, but 05 onwards seats.

The wiring changed 05> onwards (as another member found out)

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Poor Work
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 19:57   #8
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post

All P2 cars come with the required wiring for nigh on every option that you can fit.

I'm not entirely convinced that Graham is fully correct in the reprogramming side of things either, but thats being looked into

Either way, the seats will just "plug and play", just make sure you fit the fuse for the powered seats (coz it's very embarrassing if you dont)

The heated seat bit needs programming (and the buttons) volvo charge @ 400, braydons charge 100....either way, it doesn't stop you using them as pure power seats.

Other than that, simple job.

Nelsta is referring to the wiring changes.

He has pre 05 car, but 05 onwards seats.

The wiring changed 05> onwards (as another member found out) hence won't plug and play on his car.

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Poor Work
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 20:10   #9
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s60ben View Post

That would be refreshing. The reason for my caution is that I used to own a 2005MY Vectra and tried to retrofit a rear courtesy light, electric rear windows and heated seats, only to find that Vaxuhall in all their wisdom decided to produce a trimmed down wiring loom for all but the range toppers - so the wiring just wasn't there! All the early Vectra-Cs had the full monty, even the base models...

It would be nice if Graham is wrong, because even on my car there's a couple of features I wouldn't mind adding - I'm after a full house of buttons on the centre console. Only 3 blanks left to fill on mine... Anybody tried fitting the Electric Rear Sun Curtain or Electric Folding Rear Headrests?

Anyhow, I stand corrected!