Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help some newbies get a Volvo 440 back on the road!

Views : 1893

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2010, 20:17   #1
SeanHdeS

Default Help some newbies get a Volvo 440 back on the road!

Here's the thing: we have inherited an N-reg Volvo 440 from an elderly relative, in mint condition (plastic covers on seats!) and 29000 miles on the clock. It has an MOT from Oct 2009.

However, the car has not been driven since before Christmas - when it was reported to be in very good condition - and the the battery is dead. Attempts were made to jump start it (with jump leads, then by towing), then a charger was used for about an hour (prob not nearly long enough but all the time we had), all to no avail. Lights came on the dashboard, but the engine would not turn over at all.

The main complication is that we live 250 miles away AND have a baby + toddler to restrict travel! So what we need to do is to figure out how to approach this so that it can be done *hopefully* in one trip (and then drive the car back) and also not too costly.

At the moment we are thinking to call out a battery replacement service and just get a new battery (we do not have the option of charging it from a house). Any thoughts on this? Someone also mentioned that there could be an issue with the immobiliser if the battery has completely died so would also welcome thoughts on this too.

Any opinions on how to approach this would be most welcome! It seems like too good a car to let it just go to scrap or be sold for peanuts. There is also an element of sentimental value too.
SeanHdeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 22:36   #2
AndyPants
VOC Member

Have you any fobs for the car? If its like my old car you would need to disarm the immobiliser by pressing unlock on the fob before the engine will turn over or start (indicators flashed too I think when I used to do it). Can't say I had any problems when I took the battery out of mine in regards to the immobiliser.

Since your 250 miles away maybe take a battery with you or find a local supplier if needed. You don't want the battery letting you down in any case.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 22:42   #3
440anator
rookie

Sounds like when I got mine, it only had 38,000 on it, I hate puttin miles on but a car is meant to be drive right? lol

What I did was got a new battery ( bearing in mind the car hadn't been started in about year and a half) so battery wired in, pulled choke out turned key splutter splutter away she started

Also mate I recommend giving it a good service, timing belt, spark plugs, ht leads, dizzy cap, oil change, new oil filter, coolant flush and new coolant Jus to get the car cleaned out and ready for the road

Btw I will be posting how to do oil change and a coolant flush, on volvo 440 this week I hope

Good luck and let us know how you get on
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 22:02   #4
SeanHdeS

Cheers both - feel encouraged that a new battery may get us started, in order to then get a good check over for the car. We do have the fob so should be OK with the immobiliser. Fingers crossed!
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 22:07   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanHdeS View Post
Cheers both - feel encouraged that a new battery may get us started, in order to then get a good check over for the car. We do have the fob so should be OK with the immobiliser. Fingers crossed!
The Bagttery will be useless by now .. you MAY find the alarm is ON as soon as you connect the new battery so turn it off with the remote straight away .with these you need to press the unlock button on the remote to enable the car to turn over .
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 11:38   #6
frogster
the stealth brick

I would also try putting some fresh fuel in aswell.
frogster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frogster For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 15:08   #7
ahal
Master Member

As suggested the fresh fuel is very important. I've found that in less than a year it 'goes off' and you'd be there all day trying to get the thing to start unless you get a jerrycan of fresh stuff and dunk it in. The brake calipers are no doubt siezed at this stage, though you may get away with increasing the revs in first and deftly regulating the clutch out, 'rocking' it back and forth until they free up.

The accelerators tend to go stiff on these cars very quickly if laid up. That's a seperate matter and has been covered elsewhere on the 400 forums.

Regarding batteries, I now have a completely useless Bosch battery in my kitchen acting as a door - stop on the fridge (the cat has learned to open the fridge door himself). I left it on a cold surface for over 6 months and brought it back to the vendor when it wouldn't charge up. He tried a heavy duty charger on it overnight and it got so hot he was afraid it'd burn down the shop!

Apparently leaving your battery on a very cold surface long - term can cause a reaction between the plates and electrolyte, thus frying the battery. New one on me, but seemingly my wet battery ended up dry this way.

Best of luck with it.

Tony
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 17:05   #8
v70classic

my old 440 td used to have something that could scramble the imboliser, in cherbourg by the ferry port you darent turn it off because you couldnt get it to start yet half mile up the road it was fine, it use3d to do this everytime i was there.
v70classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 13:33   #9
SeanHdeS

Default Success

Thanks to everyone who posted. Yesterday - with a new battery - we got the Volvo back home via a 300 mile drive. It goes really well! Only problem now is how to unlock the stereo... Unfortunately no docs in car. Ah well, can't have everything I guess! )
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 08:22   #10
Guy Incognito

If it is the original radio then Volvo might have the code. I seem to remember that being the case. Sounds like a great car you have there, I had a 440 although the older one and loved it, first car I had with electric everything (at 23).
Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote