Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steel/hub cap question

Views : 1531

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 12:36   #1
mylittletony
Master Member

Default Steel/hub cap question

Hello everyone,

I've got some 144/145 steel wheels fitted to my 245 but having some issues.

They are this design, but have been made wider:

The problem I'm having is with the wheel and bracket/spider thing for the hub caps (shown below)

When I fitted the wheel with the spider, it was really tight to get on. I went to check my pads yesterday and had to use a block of wood and a large hammer to remove the wheel. Upon close inspection, the spider thing has caught on the 240 hub. I've now removed the brackets as roadside removal is impossible

I've spoken with Dai who suggests this is a fairly common problem, can anyone give me any pointers for what to check/grease/adjust to get these fitting correctly?

I've come up with a few options:
1. Use a flap wheel to slightly enlarge the wheel opening so the wheel can come off leaving the spider on the hub
2. Notch out the spider so it's not a full circle where the wheel contacts it.
3. Grease everything well and cross my fingers
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 12:59   #2
mylittletony
Master Member

here's my wheel on the car, you can see the gap to the hub is small

The damage to the spider thing is here, it looks like it's picked up on the hub.

What do people think?
Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 20:07   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

AFAIK the spider/hub cap retainer should clip to the wheel and stay there when you take the wheel off. It's possible that the 240 hub design is different to the 140 ones.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 21:56   #4
Triple-S
How Old?

Only just seen this thread.... As Derek says, they stick to 140-style wheels OK when being removed so as he says perhaps 240 hubs are different to 140s. If of use can measure the flange upstand on my 145 tomorrow.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 11:18   #5
Triple-S
How Old?

Just measured front hub diameter of 145 and its 2 3/8", so did the same on my 240 and its 2 1/2" so there's your problem. Yes 140/164 wheels do fit the 240 - have them on my spares-only 240 just to keep it off the ground, but clearances so tight didn't put that spider on. Didn't try rears as no access.
I wouldn't reduce 140 wheel centre diameter as it might affect things (balance, also insurance issues?) - leave spiders and caps off. Get some dome-head wheel nuts - I had those once and they look OK.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 11:21   #6
mylittletony
Master Member

Thanks Paul, very useful info and definitely explains it!

I must pay you a visit soon, will drop you an email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-S View Post
Just measured front hub diameter of 145 and its 2 3/8", so did the same on my 240 and its 2 1/2" so there's your problem. Yes 140/164 wheels do fit the 240 - have them on my spares-only 240 just to keep it off the ground, but clearances so tight didn't put that spider on. Didn't try rears as no access.
I wouldn't reduce 140 wheel centre diameter as it might affect things (balance, also insurance issues?) - leave spiders and caps off. Get some dome-head wheel nuts - I had those once and they look OK.

P
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 12:19   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Looks as this means that the 240 changed to hub centre centring rather than having the tapered wheel nuts pulling the wheel into position. Having seen many of the later type of wheels with ovaled and damaged holes in the wheels means that hub centred wheels can be more accurately centred wheels. This also gives benefits with wheel balance.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 14:51   #8
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Close but no cigar....

The centring thing doesn't apply to either 140s or 240s as far as I know and anyway they have studs, not bolts. The 140 wheels are a sloppy fit in the centre and the later, square-hole ones have trims that fit into the wheel centre. Early 240s used hubcaps that fit in the centre onto the hub itself. Fitting 140 trims will be difficult as although the 240 wheel is not a tight fit on the centre of the hub, the gap is very small. Some 240s had a small central trim that didn't cover the nuts, but this is pretty flimsy and would be unlikely to be able to support the 140 hubcap anyway.

Last edited by Volvorama; Apr 6th, 2016 at 14:54.
Volvorama is offline   Reply With Quote