Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pre Face-Lift 440 + Face-Lift 440

Views : 2148

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:00   #11
-he-

Default RE: Pre Face-Lift 440 + Face-Lift 440

I've managed to find a donor car, of which has a set of good bumpers.
Full leather interiour + alloy wheels + good uncracked lights.

I want to swap over the bumpers, tailgate, rear clusters + indicators.
Also the leather seats.

Couple questions...
Can I colour code the bumpers myself? With a can of white from Halfrauds? How do they look?
As for the clusters, are they easy to remove? And put back on etc? With a bit of sealing... oh and maybe the tailgate?!
Anything special I should know about the seating in the 440? Or is it just unbolting ?

Thanks for the help in advance...
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 09:18   #12
Daniel M
Inbetween Volvo's...

Hey there Rob...

Your car's looking nice with the old facelift bumpers on-and i want to thank you...i have been considering a Renault Laguna splitter for a while, as the original Volvo spoiler is so hard to track down-and you've helped my descision. It looks good...Laguna splitter for me here then!

With regards to the cracked alloy, i think it's 'Game Over". I know a friend who cracked his alloy and was told it couldn't be repaired. Must have been a hell of a clout to crack the wheel!

And with regards to the interior-the front seats are the hardest. The bolts that hold the front seats down in the runners are bast**ds! They are virtually welded in. You can get them out, but just be patient when you do it and try not to totally mash up the top of the bolt (like i didn't ;-) ). The back seats are easy enough-just fold the them down and look from the boot at the bottom of them (the seats) and you will see the fixings. Lights...not sure about re-wiring as i haven't had to do it, but make sure you reseal them as my passenger one still lets in a it of water. Might be worth calling Volvo and getting some original water seals.

Colour-coding bumpers....i wouldn't attempt it unless you are mga competant with a spray can- and i expect you'd have to invest in quite a few cans to do two bumpers! My advice would be to go to a bodyshop with the bumpers off the car and just ask how much to do them. It save's alot of time and you know they'll be pukka first time. However, i know playing cars can get expensive (believe me, we all know), so by all means have a bash yourself!

Anyhoo....mumbled on enough now....hope thats been a little help!

Later,
Dan M

:: 440 2.0i SE, 1994, 306 Smoke Silver Metallic :: Sold
:: 440 1.7 GLEi, 1991, 219 Ocean Blue Metallic Metallic :: Sold
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:30   #13
5lab

can anyone give me the date the headlights changed over, and the dimentions of the 'middle' headlight (the one around k)? having difficulty soucring one for me dads car after someone kicked it in, simply cos i dont know which headlight will fit. ta!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:23   #14
-he-

You got me worried about those front seats! They're the only ones I care about, well mainly my drivers seat! Oh well I'll have a bash.

The bumpers...I've done alot of research etc asked alot of people.
It seems that I should sand the bumper, lightly spray some white plasic primer, finely sand away, perhaps repeating that.
Then to spray on the white..
I'm going to give it ago, as my old bumpers are ****e. If it doesn't go well then I'll throw them to a body shop! Cheers
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:26   #15
-he-

Can't really help, but I've just won the following eBay auction, and won't be needing the headlights so if they are the right ones for you, you can have them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4518454778
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 14:05   #16
5lab

they are! whereabouts are you? just need the passenger-side one
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 14:26   #17
-he-

I'm in Swindon mate (Wiltshire), check www.multimap.co.uk

Haven't got the car yet, but hopefully tomorrow!

You reckon you can come get it?
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 14:28   #18
5lab

i'm in brighton, so a sevear trek away - i'm also in canada for a month starting friday :(

might be able to sort it out when i get back, or i can get you to post it?

Hugh
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 14:44   #19
-he-

I could send it, but would want a little bread in return like. Hassle and postage cost. If I get the car tomorrow, I wouldn't get the headlight off until thursday, so you wouldn't be able to sign for it on friday!

Best bet is probally drop me an email when you're back, and I'll make sure to keep it for you.
YOU HAVE PM
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 15:36   #20
5lab

will do mate. I may also want a pair of front seats as well (need to see if they can be fitted to a 300) - so if whichever set your binning has the 'hight adjust' lever for the drivers side then let me know