Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 enquiry

Views : 1333

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2017, 17:28   #11
rejm68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super88sonic View Post
My first post :0)

So been in the market for an SUV and wife insists we get something with 7 seats. Narrowed it down to the Q7 or XC90. I like the big engine in the Audi but for me the Volvo shines more everywhere else.

Spec:
D5 Inscription
Onyx Black
Winter Pack + HUD
Xenium Pack
Seven Seat Comfort
Dynamic 21”
Tow bar / Subwoofer / Laminated + Tinted Windows

Looking at DTD they are quoting the car at around £7k or 11% cheaper than Volvos configurator. Can you see any dealership willing to match this?

Also, is air suspension a must with 21’ wheels?

TIA
Have 21" wheels with air suspension and not noticed the noise on a drive to Ireland at all. Superbly comfortable too.
rejm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 12:16   #12
Super88sonic

Booked in with dealers on Friday to test drive 21" with air.

I've now had 2 dealerships advising me not to go with air suspension as it's not worth the money.

Why would the dealership be so honest about this? Is it that the reliability is so poor they don't want another disgruntled customer?
Super88sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 12:31   #13
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Booked in with dealers on Friday to test drive 21" with air.

I've now had 2 dealerships advising me not to go with air suspension as it's not worth the money.

Why would the dealership be so honest about this? Is it that the reliability is so poor they don't want another disgruntled customer?
Not sure about any reliability issues. I've followed every single thread in this forum since about March 2016 and looked back over the older threads before I purchased, and I can't think of any particular air suspension issues anyone has had, certainly not common issues.

I wouldn't necessarily go for air just to improve ride, most say it doesn't make much difference (I don't have any non air experience), its certainly not a magic carpet ride on air.

However, do you carry heavier loads or tow, i.e. would you benefit from self levelling? How about the ability to lower the car for loading either passengers or the boot, or could you imaging yourself ever needing a little more ground clearance? These are the factors on which to base your decision.

On the road noise thread, it is suggested that the combination of 20" wheels are air result is a lot of road noise, but I don't believe anyone has proved this with back to back test on exactly the same wheels and tyres without air and with. So, it might be air and 20", but could also just be 20" with or without.

I like to use the button in the boot to lower the car when the kids are changing boots etc..

Depending on what you plan to do with the vehicle at the end of ownership, air might make it more appealing to someone as a used buy. Conversely they might worry about issues with the air suspension out of warranty!!!

Have had an A6 Avant S-Line which I could bottom out with enough camping gear loaded, i vowed never to have a car without some for of self levelling again. If my next car is an xc90 (which at this stage I imagine it will be), I'll most certainly be taking air.

:wq
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 13:19   #14
Super88sonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Not sure about any reliability issues. I've followed every single thread in this forum since about March 2016 and looked back over the older threads before I purchased, and I can't think of any particular air suspension issues anyone has had, certainly not common issues.

I wouldn't necessarily go for air just to improve ride, most say it doesn't make much difference (I don't have any non air experience), its certainly not a magic carpet ride on air.

However, do you carry heavier loads or tow, i.e. would you benefit from self levelling? How about the ability to lower the car for loading either passengers or the boot, or could you imaging yourself ever needing a little more ground clearance? These are the factors on which to base your decision.

On the road noise thread, it is suggested that the combination of 20" wheels are air result is a lot of road noise, but I don't believe anyone has proved this with back to back test on exactly the same wheels and tyres without air and with. So, it might be air and 20", but could also just be 20" with or without.

I like to use the button in the boot to lower the car when the kids are changing boots etc..

Depending on what you plan to do with the vehicle at the end of ownership, air might make it more appealing to someone as a used buy. Conversely they might worry about issues with the air suspension out of warranty!!!

Have had an A6 Avant S-Line which I could bottom out with enough camping gear loaded, i vowed never to have a car without some for of self levelling again. If my next car is an xc90 (which at this stage I imagine it will be), I'll most certainly be taking air.

My desire for the air suspension is mainly for a smoother ride over speed humps, bumpy roads, potholes, etc. The tow bar would only be used for hitching a small trailer to take stuff to/from the dump and to hook a bike rack up. No plans for a caravan so not sure the self leveling feature will be needed? This is all new to me so excuse my lack of knowledge!

The car will be on PCP so will likely hand back/upgrade after 3 years. Don't fancy owning the it out of warranty.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 13:46   #15
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
My desire for the air suspension is mainly for a smoother ride over speed humps, bumpy roads, potholes, etc. The tow bar would only be used for hitching a small trailer to take stuff to/from the dump and to hook a bike rack up. No plans for a caravan so not sure the self leveling feature will be needed? This is all new to me so excuse my lack of knowledge!

The car will be on PCP so will likely hand back/upgrade after 3 years. Don't fancy owning the it out of warranty.
I'd see if you can try a car with the same wheels on air and non air then, to see if you think the difference in ride quality is worth the air.

Old Sep 20th, 2017, 15:53   #16
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:

Air suspension does not give you a smoother ride over speed bumps or potholes, in fact it is a far harsher ride over these, you have to slow right down to prevent a harsh bump, going over potholes there is an almighty crash from the suspension and wheels. I included it on my car because I tow a heavy caravan, if the new car still had the old XC90 self levelling I would never have included it. In my opinion it is not worth the money.
When I was buying my car I wondered if I would regret it if I did not include it but in fact I regret having it.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 21:49   #17
rejm68

Driving between Listowel and Ballylongford in my R Line Tiguan last year was like a fairground ride it was soooo bumpy. This year in my XC90 with air suspension it's like a dream, completely different, smooth as you like.
rejm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 17:00   #18
Super88sonic

So today I had a 30 min drive on 21" with air and I have to admit the ride did feel nice and handled bumps and corners quite well. I didn't notice much road noise, in fact it seemed quieter than the standard with 20" but that's just my personal opinion.

He also demonstrated the B&W system and as awesome as it sounded, I can't justify spending that much on a system when all I listen to is podcasts or kids programs.

For me the air is worth the extra spend. Dynamic mode wins it for me haha :0)