Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Valve timing out?

Views : 416

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 18:38   #1
Hermees

Default Valve timing out?

Hello,

I am trying to fix 2003, 1.6 petrol V40. It was given to me with this problem!

The engines performance is down on where it should but there are no DTCs.

I think the valve timing is incorrectly set, could anyone confirm that with the piston nearest the belt (No 1?) at bottom dead centre the crankshaft timing marks will be aligned. If this is the case the timing is advanced by two teeth.

I look foreword to hearing from anyone that might be able to help.

Best wishes,
Tony
Hermees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 18:49   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermees View Post
Hello,

I think the valve timing is incorrectly set, could anyone confirm that with the piston nearest the belt (No 1?) at bottom dead centre the crankshaft timing marks will be aligned. If this is the case the timing is advanced by two teeth.

Best wishes,
Tony
You do not go by the piston position , you have to align the marks on the crank inner pulley and the timing casting , they are roughly in the 11 o clock position . If you have lost the timing you need to insert the volvo special tool in the hole behind the starter motor to get the correct crank position , and if you or anyone has loosened teh cam pulleys you can not rely on the marks on them ..you will need the Volvo toolset to lock the rear of the camshafts in the correct position before fitting the belt and tensioner then you might be able to get the cam pulley marks to align but if not you add your own when timed correctly before taking out the timing tools .,
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 18:54   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Hello,

Best wishes,
Tony
Set the crankshaft up with the timing mark aligned. All four pistons will be level with each other - half way down the bores.

With the crank set on the mark, set the camshafts to their marks on the plastic belt cover - two little nibs cut out on the web under the top cover, then thread the new belt around the crankshaft and up to the inlet cam, over the two cams and down around the waterpump and adjuster and back to the crank. Timing should be good if the original marks are still there, if not, you will need the special cam setting tool to determine where the cams need to be in relation to the crank.

Edit: Clan beat me to it.

Last edited by ITSv40; Sep 23rd, 2017 at 18:56.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 00:00   #4
canis
Non Fragile

Yeah, as above. Forget about pistons and their positions. Use the bottom pulley's timing mark.

canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 11:54   #5
Hermees

Thanks all for replying. The problem we have is the centre bolt in the lower pulley. Our tools won't shift it. Before spending more time and breaking more kit it would be good to know we aren't on a wild goose chase.
If we put the pistons accurately level in the bores by measuring down through the spark plug holes, the cam timing marks should line up? Yes? We have checked that the slot on the back of the cam lines up with the joint in the head when the sprocket marks are aligned, on the inlet. The exhaust doesn't have VVT so I doubt that it has been disturbed, and its sprocket aligns when the inlet does. Again any info much appreciated, I'm Rory by the way, giving Tony (Hermees) a hand.
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 12:09   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks all for replying. The problem we have is the centre bolt in the lower pulley. Our tools won't shift it. Before spending more time and breaking more kit it would be good to know we aren't on a wild goose chase.
If we put the pistons accurately level in the bores by measuring down through the spark plug holes, the cam timing marks should line up? Yes? We have checked that the slot on the back of the cam lines up with the joint in the head when the sprocket marks are aligned, on the inlet. The exhaust doesn't have VVT so I doubt that it has been disturbed, and its sprocket aligns when the inlet does. Again any info much appreciated, I'm Rory by the way, giving Tony (Hermees) a hand.
you do not need to take off the lower pulley you can just see the marks in the above picture , Line those up and see if the cam marks line up .. ( if not give the engine one further turn of course and re line up ...)
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 16:33   #7
Hermees

Many thanks Clan, the car now runs as it should. We were following 'the' manual re removing the pulley. Obviously not a good idear.
The timing was three teath out, no wonder it wasn't performing! The clue incase anyone else comes on this thread was that the VVT solenoid was working and had a signal, a 12V square wave with 15% duty cycle, but this never changed. The ECU had worked out there was a timing problem and disabled the VVT. Why we did not get a code I know not; but the car runs - hurray. Thanks again to all.

Hermees.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermees For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 17:45   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Many thanks Clan, the car now runs as it should. We were following 'the' manual re removing the pulley. Obviously not a good idear.
The timing was three teath out, no wonder it wasn't performing! The clue incase anyone else comes on this thread was that the VVT solenoid was working and had a signal, a 12V square wave with 15% duty cycle, but this never changed. The ECU had worked out there was a timing problem and disabled the VVT. Why we did not get a code I know not; but the car runs - hurray. Thanks again to all.

Hermees.
well done , Glad it worked out ...