Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC40 live reveal today

Views : 2565

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2017, 10:35   #31
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterdesign View Post
As I am seriously think about buying an XC40, I have been reading all the info I can find. Just been trolling through the Volvo web site on the Xc 40 and came across this under a section called Diesel Emmision Contol. Attached was a picture of the filler cap with an AdBlue filler.
I thought that the new engines did not use AdBlue, wonder if this is changing, due to the problems they have had.
WOuldn't surprise me, in the real world running high levels of EGR simply doesn't work and if you look at the results of independent tests, those that do it always end up at the bottom with emissions that are well outside of the E6 limits & in some cases outside of the E5 limits too!

It wouldn't surprise me if at some point the testing is changed as it isn't fit for purpose so it makes sense to make the change now and it wouldn't surprise me if the change makes its way through to future MY '90 & '60 cars.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 12:09   #32
Lexman8
Premier Member

With 'real world' emissions testing coming along perhaps the current Volvo diesel engines will fail without the addition of AdBlue.
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 12:18   #33
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Without wanting to hijack the poor new XC40 thread too much, can I ask out of interest what the problem with add blue is? If you just need to poor a bottle in every now and then and its quite easy to get hold of, then is it a major issue? Expensive?

:wq
Its mainly that it's actually quite difficult to top up without getting the damn stuff everywhere, some forecourts do have adblue pumps but these are aimed at commercial vehicles which means the rate of flow is too fast. Its another fudge solution that just helps to make life just that little more frustrating.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 12:55   #34
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrod View Post
Not really, just an additional hassle. It's about £20 for a 10l bottle, you have to empty the boot (on the Yeti), pull up all the coverings and try to manhandle that large bottle to fill it without spilling any due to its corrosive nature. Warning comes on with a lovely orange light 1500 miles ahead of time.
It's a strange substance, although it can react with some metals, it isn't classifed as corrosive and is perfectly safe to get on your hands etc.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 21:39   #35
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
It's a strange substance, although it can react with some metals, it isn't classifed as corrosive and is perfectly safe to get on your hands etc.
Sounds like my wifes curry.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 10:26   #36
Fantastic
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
"Perfectly safe"... Really?
Paragraph taken from VW web site detailing AdBlue top up -

"Refill with care

AdBlue® is a corrosive liquid, so we advise you wear protective clothing when handling. If it touches your eyes, skin or respiratory organs or is swallowed, rinse with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and seek medical help immediately. Do not try to induce vomiting unless recommended by a doctor. If small quantities of AdBlue® come into contact with the vehicle’s paintwork wipe them off and if necessary rinse the area with water.

For more information, please refer to your vehicle owner’s manual."

Make your own mind up with this advice. Think I'd let dealer do it. Any substance that requires at least 15 mins of continuous washing isn't good IMO.

Last edited by Fantastic; Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:33.
Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 10:54   #37
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
"Perfectly safe"... Really?
Paragraph taken from VW web site detailing AdBlue top up -

"Refill with care

AdBlue® is a corrosive liquid, so we advise you wear protective clothing when handling. If it touches your eyes, skin or respiratory organs or is swallowed, rinse with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and seek medical help immediately. Do not try to induce vomiting unless recommended by a doctor. If small quantities of AdBlue® come into contact with the vehicle’s paintwork wipe them off and if necessary rinse the area with water.

For more information, please refer to your vehicle owner’s manual."

Make your own mind up with this advice. Think I'd let dealer do it. Any substance that requires at least 15 mins of continuous washing isn't good IMO.
For the stupid people in this world, you know, those that require at 'not suitable for people with nut alleges' warning on a packet of peanuts.

:wq
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 11:00   #38
Bernard F

I think I read that one fill should last between services. If not buy a 250ml bottle or smaller for emergencies as the car will not start without it. Final resort buy a petrol engine and eliminate the problem.
Bernard F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 11:56   #39
Whippy
Premier Member

In reality it usually (although not always) does about 6k depending on driving style and of course size of adblue tank. Keeping a one litre bottle in the boot makes good sense although I think most forecourts stock it now so you could simply pick up a bottle when you fuel up and top up at home. Still FAR from ideal though.